Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #4: Exercise Plan

Options
hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,256 Member
edited March 2023 in Social Groups
by31fkn6dc34.png

🗬In thinking about pre-challenge activities for the 2023 Spring 5% Challenge, in the last activity we discussed meal planning. Anytime you think of a healthy lifestyle there are two things that are usually mentioned, healthy eating and exercise. Since healthy eating was already mentioned, this activity will be highlighting the importance of exercise as you plan YOUR journey.🗭

🤔❔I started researching by asking Google:
'What is the best exercise plan for healthy lifestyle at any age?'
Here is the first answer that was received:
Which exercise is best for healthy life? A combination of aerobic (walking, swimming) and strength training (weights) is best. Walking is one of the easiest activities to start. You don't have to do all 30 minutes at once. Try walking for 15 minutes twice each day.

🔍I looked further at the answers and found recommendations - by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and this article has guidelines, no matter what age you are. Here is the link:
https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/age-chart.html

📼There are endless videos (many of them are free) on sites like YouTube that deal with almost any type of exercise/physical activity that you can think of from 'Couch to 5K' to Chair Exercises.

Remember, a healthy lifestyle (like almost anything else in life) must have balance. The only one that knows your body is you. The only one that knows how you are feeling is you.

If you are not used to exercise and don't know where to begin - how about just getting up and walking around the house? Once you are comfortable doing that, perhaps walk around outside of your house, down the driveway, to the mailbox, down the block. No matter what you do, getting up to move will be so good for your body and it will help you feel accomplished once you are done.

In addition to planning your personal exercise plan, why don't you take a look for your sneakers? Are they in good shape? Do they need to be replaced so you will be comfortable when walking/moving? Do you have a water bottle handy? Do you own a step tracker? Do you use it? If you like to go outside to walk, especially now that winter is making way for spring - do you have the appropriate outerwear that will ensure you aren't too hot/too cold?

> > > > Of course, any and all of these recommendations NEVER EVER supersede recommendations from your health care provider. We are all individuals and are all at different stages of life (and health) which sometimes dictate what we can and can't physically do. If you are under a physician's care and are unable to exercise or you must limit your exercise to accommodate your specific needs, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't continue following your doctor's orders! < < < <

📓Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? Think of what you can easily commit to in a day and commit to that. For a few days a week, consider doing ‘just a little more’ if you can to challenge yourself.

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Spring 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 SPRING 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activites (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):
** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887289/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input-ℹ️#latest

** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/post/editdiscussion/10887403

**Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887514/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-3-meal-plan/p1?new=1

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• hicim705
    hicim705 Posts: 5,256 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    📓Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? Think of what you can easily commit to in a day and commit to that. For a few days a week, consider doing ‘just a little more’ if you can to challenge yourself.

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My exercise plan is relatively simple: GET UP AND MOVE and then KEEP MOVING!!

Although I may be coming toward the end of my working career, the fact of the matter is that I have a desk job and I sit all of the time. I try to walk at least 7,500 steps/day (or a MINIMUM of 23 miles per week in 2023). During the winter and the colder temps, I would even do my 'steps' in front of the TV and I've only missed the 7,500 steps 3 or 4 days ... so not too bad.

I do need to incorporate ST into my daily life ~ I don't care for ST but I know that it would balance out my overall exercise. I know I should do it ~ it is not, however, something that I think about that much, so I need to begin slow and find out what I like and build on that. I'm anxious to read what others write here ~ perhaps you will all give me some great ideas!!

Heidi (hicim705)
    Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)
  • deskjockey925
    deskjockey925 Posts: 4,621 Member
    Options
    Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? Think of what you can easily commit to in a day and commit to that. For a few days a week, consider doing ‘just a little more’ if you can to challenge yourself.

My Daily Cardio is one of these videos -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYITYwvPAQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOAUptt_-cA
    Or with the weather nicer now, I'll be walking around the block here at home (4.8 Miles)

My ST (Each Video is just 10Mins. Incorporate 10mins least 2-3 times per week, but Daily if I can)

Arms - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E7cjvOit64
    Legs -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJA3R7n_594
    Abs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXD30VDQ4QQ
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,530 Member
    Options
    for exercise, i plan to do some strength training exercise at least three times a week. i do tend to vary the ones i do so i do not get bored. i also plan to walk every day, rain or shine, for at least an hour. as for dancing, i plan to dance every day for at least an hour, more if i can.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 4,089 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey? Think of what you can easily commit to in a day and commit to that. For a few days a week, consider doing ‘just a little more’ if you can to challenge yourself.

Funny - I seems to be one step ahead of the activities!! :)

As noted in my GOALs assignment:

On the treadmill of late, I've been hovering at 2.00 mph. Goal is to increase to between 2.5 and 3.00 mph during this challenge.

I have also joined a step bet game which does motivate me to get steps. My targeted steps are 6,234 (4x per week) and 7,538 (2x per week). My ultimate goal is to get back consistently to 10k per day. For this challenge is to increase my targets by 500 steps each week. That's an increase of 500 steps per day per week.
    Week 1 6,250/7,500
    Week 2 6,750/8,000
    Week 3 7,250/8,500
    Week 4 7,750/9,000
    Week 5 8,250/9,500
    Week 6 8,750/10,000
    Week 7 9,250/10,000
    Week 8 9,750/10,000

Bonus Exercise
    Lifting a weight or two
    Performing Dance Routines with my Wii -will also aid with more steps
    I also want to try some of the YouTube routines that I've seen talked about on the forums
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 5,305 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan is pretty simple 6 days of resistance training and daily walks to get 12K steps or more.
  • Retired_Sue
    Retired_Sue Posts: 11,235 Member
    Options

My workout routine is pretty set - most of the time - morning stretching starting even before I get out of bed, It wakes up my body and gets me ready for my day.
    Dancing around to favourite play lists while I do some morning tasks like emptying my dishwasher and doing breakfast prep.
    Pahla B videos - a 5 or 7 day series will give me a good mix of cardio, weights and even balance practice.
    Post workout stretching.
    (all of this is usually done before I eat breakfast - I'm retired - I have time!) 😀
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,226 Member
    Options
    @deskjockey925 Very well done!!! @Hicim705 like you I do okay with cardio and need to add in more ST. There are tons of videos I like on youtube. Anyone want to learn how to dance? YOU CAN!! Learn to shoot hoop better to show the grands? YOU CAN!! The sky is the limit!
  • LindieMaeP
    LindieMaeP Posts: 4,469 Member
    Options

My plan is to do 30 min on the compact eliptical if my body can tollerate it, if not 2 15 min sessions a day, as well as 15 min on the vibration board in sitting position and graduate to a greater time and standing position. I also plan on walking outside everyday that weather allows for at least 15 - 20 minutes, any more then that and my nerve issue becomes aggrevated and numbness sets in: so far the two machines mentioned above do not aggrevate it. I also need to look at including some simple sit down strength exercises for better posture as mine is lousy, and want to look into some good breathing exercises as well. Work in progress and will be modified as needed.
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 3,075 Member
    Options
    📓Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan What exercise plan will YOU follow for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey?

Walk every day outdoors for at least 3 miles continuous. Step goal 13500
    ST 3 days/week
    Higher intensity cardio (higher intensity than walking) 3-4 days/week on the days when I'm not doing ST. Cardio will be stationary bicycle or elliptical. Bicycling outdoors when the weather is favorable.

My "just a little more" will be an extra walk in the evening, or yoga.

My commitment is 60 minutes/day.

-Mica/Mission Slimpossibles
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan
    I already meet with a trainer for an hour each week, and I try to get into the gym at least two other times during the week. Because I use a walker, I have hesitated to do much walking, but I live in such a beautiful place (Hawaii), so my goal is to use my walker to get around the neighborhood at least three times (other than the gym). I'll take my time and enjoy the ocean view and not worry about how long it takes. I manage to get in 1000 steps each day, but I want to up that to 2000 steps, and the only way I can do that is with my walker. Others in my neighborhood are runners, dog walkers, etc. so I'll look odd, I imagine, but I'm not going to worry about how it looks to other people.
  • amyrob117
    amyrob117 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My Exercise Plan:

My exercise plan is to work into my day 15-minute intervals of activity. While I at work, I will be walking 15-30 minutes at a time depending on the day. Outside of work I will fill in the remaining exercise time with 15-30 minutes of strength training or more cardio type exercises until I reach my goal of 200 minutes of exercise per week.

Amy/ Rain Dancers
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan

My exercise plan is as follows: Monday - Stationary Bike, Personal Training, and strength equipment. Tuesday - Stationary Bike and Pilates Mat class. Wednesday - Virtual class of Cardio, Strength, Core work and Balance. Thursday - rest day. Friday - Pilates Reformer and Roll and Recover at the gym. Saturday - Stationary Bike and Pilates Mat class. Sunday - Virtual class of Cardio, Strength, Core work and Balance.

Every day I will do 20 minutes of Yoga - Yoga with Adrianne is an amazing yoga practice. Every evening I will get down on the floor to do 20 - 30 minutes of some basic strength exercises and stretching.

I wear a Fitbit and my current goal is to reach 7000 steps per day but if the snow ever stops I will finally be able to get outside for a 30 - 45 minute walk with my dog Daisy. So my intent is to reach 10,000 steps per day before the Challenge is over.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #4: Exercise Plan

Since the rehab is an unknown zone of an unknown length..all I can do at this point is commit to doing my rehab exercises and continue my chair exercises till the docs turn me loose and my body says It's Time! By then I should have "the Plan" made on a realistic level. Ya'al have given so many great ideas..thank you!!
  • diannemt
    diannemt Posts: 2,378 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

I will continue my PT exercises for as long as I have PT--and then do 3-5 times a week thereafter. I will also follow a Get Healthy You TV calendar for April and May (but while on the cruise will do Zumba 3 days, get 2 other exercise classes in AND hit my 7K steps a day).
  • MidlifeCrisis78
    MidlifeCrisis78 Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan is to intentionally daily for a minimum of 40 minutes.
  • CSEGUIN2
    CSEGUIN2 Posts: 5,647 Member
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My exercise plan is written out and ready to go. It consists of both cardio, strength, stretching and a rest day.
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,761 Member
    Options
    For now walking Milo 3x's a day, 30min stretching

Rejoining Y Then
    1. walk Milo 2x's a day
    2. Exerswim morning every other Mon, every Wed, Fri
    3. Aqua Zumba morning Tues , Thur
    4. Strength, stretching afternoon Mon-Fri
  • Chubbynomore10
    Chubbynomore10 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    7 days a week Calisthenics - Therapy that I took for prolapsed uterus...I have strong muscles now that I didn't even know were weak! I plan to do this for the rest of my life. Occasionally I miss a day, but am right back on it the next.

3x a week upper and lower body workout on the Total Gym, increasing resistance when necessary

At least once a week Dancing to the Oldies with Richard Simmons, Yoga, or other workout cds I have.

HIIT 20 min on the treadmill At least 4 days a week

Mild stretching every day after workout
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,755 Member
    Options
    bump up