Exerecise Postpartum

Options
momRN2B
momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
I am not up to there yet but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences they could share. I was working out doing ''the 30 day shred'' for 9 months before I got pregnant and then i switched to ''body by trimester'' by Joy southworth once I got pregnant. I hope to continue working out till I give birth. I know that postpartum i have to wait 4-6 weeks till my midwife clears me for exercise, I am just wondering if I will lose my muscle tone and strength during that time. So for those of you who exercised throughout your pregnancies, what was your experience postpartum?

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I exercised pretty regularly during pregnancy doing zumba, turbo fire and other things. But I got sick about 8 months pp and stopped working out. I started back after I got cleared at 6 weeks. I started full force with turbo fire, but I didn't do anything consistently until about 4 months pp. It was just too hard for me with the baby and not getting enough sleep. So just do the best you can, walks would be great. My son was born in November so that didn't happen for me until spring. But it's a great way to ease into it and have a good baby nap!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I exercised until about 34 weeks at the gym with my first, then just went for walks after that, right up until I was 9 days overdue. I went back to the gym and personal training when my son was 7 weeks old. It didn't take me long to get back into it and regain my strength. I also went for lots of walks with the pram. He was a June baby and we live by the sea, so it was lovely.

With my 2nd I didn't exercise anywhere near as much, although my son was toddler at this point, so I was taking him out, still going for walks and stuff. My daughter was 12 days overdue and I again was back and the gym and doing PT sessions when she was 7 weeks old. She was a May baby, so again I was lucky and had nice weather for walks. I found I wasn't as out of shape as I expected to be that time!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    When I started up again at 6 weeks, my lack of core strength was very obvious to me, but I regained strength fast.

I was active throughout my pregnancy and pre-pregnancy I was in great shape, but there was just no way for me to maintain that level of fitness and muscle tone once the third trimester had it's way with my body.

I hit the gym 3x per week, every week, as soon as I got clearance. I bounced back fast and am probably in the best shape of my life now, but we're all different.
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Like other posters have said, I found it tricky to figure out an exercise routine that worked for me, especially after the birth of my second child. However, I tried to do dvds at home whenever I could and considered it a victory even if I only got 10 minutes into it before the baby (or toddler) needed me. Every little bit helped.

Honestly, I found walking/hiking to be my favourite and most effective exercise for many reasons - it got the kids and I outside, I had "me" time to clear my head when the baby slept in the stroller, I gained strength carrying him or my toddler in the ergo (I have big babies) and it was something I could do at anytime of day or night really. Now that I'm back to work, I schedule gym time every work day so I can pursue whatever I want in the gym - classes, weights etc.

Enjoy the time with your baby - you'll never get that time back. I'm in the best shape of my life and improving every day.
  • meganyoung1106
    Options
    I exercised regularly up until around 8 months...I just got too uncomfortable to do much. Around 2 weeks pp I started walking regularly with the baby and recently started getting back into doing my 30DS DVD in addition to walking. My body bounced back better than I expected although I was heavier than I wanted to be when I got pregnant so I still have about 15-20lbs to lose to feel "good" again. The hardest part for me has been how ravenously hungry breastfeeding makes me. I tend to have a bad relationship with food and make poor choices, but I am a work in progress!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    When I started up again at 6 weeks, my lack of core strength was very obvious to me, but I regained strength fast.

I was active throughout my pregnancy and pre-pregnancy I was in great shape, but there was just no way for me to maintain that level of fitness and muscle tone once the third trimester had it's way with my body.

I hit the gym 3x per week, every week, as soon as I got clearance. I bounced back fast and am probably in the best shape of my life now, but we're all different.

Pretty much the same for me. Even though I worked out right up to my due date, nothing could prepare me for how weak my core was once my baby was born. Even just standing up straight long enough to do a quick grocery run was a challenge for the first couple of weeks!

I got the all clear at 6 weeks pp, but didn't really start working out regularly until 8 weeks (I got the green light just before Christmas, and we had family in town so I wanted to spend my time with them). I started with a combo of dvds (30 Day Shred) and weights at home, and I did cardio at the gym since it was snowy outside. I had to ease back into things because even though my doc said things looked good, I had a bad tear and it got sore quite easily during cardio, and there were some strength moves (mostly legs/abs) that made me feel like I was straining that area too much so I had to use lighter weights for the first several months.

Absolutely agree with J3nnyV about walking. I got outside with the baby in the stroller as often as I could during the winter months, and we still go out almost every day now at 10 months pp. Baby loves it, and it gets me out of the house. The days we don't get out we both get antsy and cranky!
  • TheJamLady
    TheJamLady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts about walking. It was the first exercise I was able to start back to at a week or two post partum. I started small-a half block and back. Yesterday I went for a walk for 45 minutes with baby in the stroller. She's now 4 months. With three kids there are days when walks are the only thing I can fit in. Other days I work out, but really have to base it on how crazy the day is, how much I've slept, and the kid's needs that day. Your muscle strength will be easier to rebuild as you've been active throughout your pregnancy, but be patient if it takes some time to regain.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I worked out as long as I could pre-baby, which was past my due date since he was overdue by eight days. I returned shortly after six weeks and the obstetrician's sign off. I had to have an emergency c-section, and the lack of core strength is just astonishing. I didn't feel sad about the c-section until today when my lack of core strength became very apparent at the gym. Also, working out so long while pregnant has also resulted in really terrible balance now because my body got used to accommodating the belly. Ha. I feel like I'm starting from stage one again, but I'm very happy to be back at it.

Pretty much the same for me. Even though I worked out right up to my due date, nothing could prepare me for how weak my core was once my baby was born. Even just standing up straight long enough to do a quick grocery run was a challenge for the first couple of weeks!

I got the all clear at 6 weeks pp, but didn't really start working out regularly until 8 weeks (I got the green light just before Christmas, and we had family in town so I wanted to spend my time with them). I started with a combo of dvds (30 Day Shred) and weights at home, and I did cardio at the gym since it was snowy outside. I had to ease back into things because even though my doc said things looked good, I had a bad tear and it got sore quite easily during cardio, and there were some strength moves (mostly legs/abs) that made me feel like I was straining that area too much so I had to use lighter weights for the first several months.

Absolutely agree with J3nnyV about walking. I got outside with the baby in the stroller as often as I could during the winter months, and we still go out almost every day now at 10 months pp. Baby loves it, and it gets me out of the house. The days we don't get out we both get antsy and cranky!