This July I Will...

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited July 2023 in Social Groups
da5erz2rf9z1.jpeg

Pause for a minute and think about the end of the year (hopefully, the banner image helps). How do you want to feel in December? What's your top health goal you want to accomplish by then? What small habits do you need in place to accomplish your goal(s)?

We are conditioned to view New Year's as the ideal time to make changes in our lives, but the truth is every day, every week, and every month is a fresh start if we want it to be. And now, as we flip the calendar to July, we have 6 months...184 days...left in 2023 to build the healthy habits that will improve our lives, make us happier, and set us up for a great 2024. We have the time. Let’s dig in and make it happen!

What is your focus this July and for the rest of the year?

🌷Denise & 🌸Maddie
@themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

New to Habit Building?

Please review our Newcomer’s Guide and our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building as it will help you get started. Set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on.

Replies

• mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Happy Saturday, Habit Builders! Happy Canada Day, northern neighbors!

I am pondering, tinkering, and deciding on a new organization method. I have a few challenges on, and I need to an overview to keep it simple. I didn't make one last week, and it felt chaotic lol.

The reason I didn't make one last week was because I was checking out and considering new apps to manage lists. I've been using ridiculously clunky methods like texting myself, or using basic Notepad app lists for years. There are some fabulously robust and easy to use productivity apps out there - I decided it's time to use one.

But which one? LOL I've spent a week clicking around, researching, reading, looking at, but not committing, to a few. I think I've narrowed it down to ToDoist, To Do List, Slack, Habit Tracker, and I forget the name of another one right now.

What do all y'all use for productivity apps?

This is a copy/paste of a post I made in another group. I hope that's ok. As I bring my week of considering which way to go, I thought I'd like to cast a wide net and seek opinions far and wide, on what To Do List / Productivity apps you all use. As I type this, I'm remembering that in the past, I've also used a custom built (but basic, lol) spreadsheet, for larger projects. But, I feel in my gut, it's time to move to a solution built for this, instead of always building my own lists or sheets from scratch each time. heh.

Adding on, a new month! A new half of a year! A fresh start :D . I joined this group near the end of June. I know what my focus should and will be - decluttering and cleaning up. First of all, this place has needed it, after finishing in 2021 a 5-yr stretch of working nonstop and only being home to sleep, shower and do it again, it needed it anyway. But this year, since winter, I've spent several week stretches, three separate times, going back home to NY where I was raised, to help my sister clean out my Mom's house. She passed on Nov 1. Those weeks were really lovely truth be told, sifting through old memories with my sis, and reconnecting with childhood friends and neighbors. But they also opened my eyes and make me know that it's really time to commit to that decluttering that I'd been meaning to for over a year. My Mom kept everything! It was an organized chaos - but it was SO much. I only have 1 child. She won't have a sibling to travel down memory lane with her, so time for me to buckle down. God, it's shocking what you accumulate after being in one place for 30 yrs :open_mouth:

I posted last week that I was going to spend the week researching productivity apps. I did - but I haven't jumped in yet. Time to jump in! lol

Cheers!
    - mk :
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Michaela_LaGata Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    @mkksemail
    I appreciated your post about personal organization I find it’s absolutely necessary so that I can be successful with my personal care and fitness goals.

What a lot of the folks I coach find useful is first of all simplicity, because we don’t want to be a worker for the app —we want the app to serve us

I personally find it useful to use Apple notes or some kind of open notes system connected to my phone. I am able to make folders there, including priority, task, folders, prioritize ABC in different categories of life for example, professional versus personal.

I can quickly search for things and find my priority tasks. I try to review them each week and then on my calendar I make a task appointment when I plan to get the task done or do some work on it whatever it is.

I use Google Calendar for that.

Using electronic notes allows me to search electronically and find information quickly. I can also add details or notes to each task or modify them.

That way my calendar is not all cluttered up either

In terms of self management to execute tasks I use the Pomodoro time management method, or I just set my phone timer for 25 minutes. You can Google it and find information if you’re curious.

There is a task management app called be focused that has been helpful to a lot of folks. It also uses the 25 minute Pomodoro task management technique. This technique has been featured in business management and higher education journals as well so across the life course many folks have found this approach helpful

Please share back if you find something useful I’m sure that we can all be better at organizing our lives, and getting the things done that matter to us

In closing I also wanted to mention the famous and well used Stephen Covey, the seven habits of highly effective people. It’s an oldie, but a goodie. It has a lot of tips in there that are time-tested.

Best of luck to you and I hope something in here was a little helpful
  • mkksemail
    edited July 2023
    Options
    TY, @Michaela_LaGata 🌸
    There's quite a lot of interesting and thoughtful information in your post. I'm taking it onboard, processing it, thinking about it.

Appreciate the input so much!
    - mk :) (Maine)

I am going to just try out each of the various app solutions this week (including your Apple Notes suggestion), and use the week for 'hands on' kicking the tires type research. I'll have a list to work with that way, at least!

(As opposed to the last week, when I resisted using my old go-to methods bc I really do want to move to a dedicated productivity app. It felt chaotic having no list, but I didn't want to - yet again - just keep using what I always had, bc it's familiar. I want to push forward ✨.)

I do use Google Calendar. I'm sure I'll integrate whatever solution I settle on with GC. 👍

- mk :)
  • mkksemail
    Options
    @Michaela_LaGata , I can't believe I forgot to mention, and thank you, for the Pomodoro discussion. I recently had read about that in an article about Tom Hanks writing a novel. He used that method. I have it in my notes to look up and re-read about it again, so I could implement it this summer as I tackle big stuff.

I'm still gathering notes and suggestions about productivity / lists apps, and methods folks use to organize themself.

But I have started. Small.

10-15 min each day on cleaning/organizing/tidying physical (not digital) stuff (everyday stuff like dishes, laundry, and scooping litter don't count ... but weekly stuff does :D ).

7/1 - check!
    7/2 - check!

@77tes .... lol!! and wtg on tidy house, but not wanting to start next project for fear of messing it up. heh Love the July inspiration jpg!

Cheers!
    - mk :) (Maine)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,033 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Great stuff here already this month! @Michaela_LaGata , I use Apple notes, but you clearly have taken them to the next level. I haven’t decided what habit to concentrate on this month. It’s hot and that makes me less than energetic, but I have a ball on the 8th and a Costumer’s Convention on the final weekend of the month. I should do some sewing, but I dread messing up my tidy house after two months of housework and decluttering challenges. 😂

I thought I’d share this image in his group.

uujq0sv3f9fs.jpeg

@77tes Love this!
    I understand not wanting to pull out a project! Maybe use a big box & place all fabric, notions back into it after each session? (Just leave out the sewing machine??)

• donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,046 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    July's focus
    4th July
    * Weigh and record daily focus on averages! 💖
    *Time slot daily to manage time and stress_ Opt for other ways to treat myself and time slot fun things to do that does not involve food. Dnt use food as a way to combat boredom, stress or loneliness 💖
    *Move more daily, get bub involved! 💖
    * Shave a little calories off..Less oil, more veggies no butter, corn thins instead of bread. 💖
    * Pretrack treat and milk in the morning 💖
    * Ask hubby whats for dinner, pretrack before i get home 😠
    * Track every BLT! 💖
    * Make 1 generous plate for dinner, lots of veggies! *Dnt be dullision thinking 2 small plates has less calories. Plus u always loose the motivation to weigh the second plate. 💖
    * Eat slow, Hve a cup of tea with food, savour it!💖
    * Lunch no later than 1 pm💖
    *Me fruit and veg daily💖
    *Bub friut and veg daily😠
    * Avoid thinking about wat I am going to say and instead focus on wat pppl are saying 💖
    *Once i get back to 63kg be content! 💖
    * Ensure hubby hides chocolate ALWAYS!💖
    * Dnt start tasks at 4pm so i can leave on time!💖
    *Time slot at 4.00pm for the next day. 😠
    *Leave at 4.30pm 💖
    * Meal Prep for bub always in the morning, dnt pick at it! 💖
    * Plan for maintaince on w/e to indulge but dnt go over as u will negate all your hard work!💖
    * Drink protien shake on days off it helps with hunger! N/A
    * Wen around loved ones don't feel the need to eat what they do, over eat to show how much u like their food or skip meals to fit in or cause your ashamed about watching your weight! Your not letting them down or missing out! Look at the menu ahead of time for tasty low calorie options! 💖
  • mkksemail
    edited July 2023
    Options
    This July I Will ...
    .... get started on Cleaning/Organizing/Decluttering my physical space, by using my digital space. My specific goal is:
    1.) to do 10-15 minutes each day doing something (other than an everyday task like dishes, laundry or scooping litter .... weekly tasks count, tho :D ) to organize my physical space, by
    2.) researching, finding, utilizing a personal productivity, or list making, or habit tracking, app solution designed for purpose (and not texting myself a list (easy for simple things, clunky for detailed lists), resorting to Notepad lists okay-ish, but clunkier than necessary to update or check off lists), or building myself a custom Google sheet (too easy to spend too much time customizing sheets)

Organize:
    S 7/1 - check x 2!
    S 7/2 - check x 2!
    M 7/ 3 - check x 2!

Organize & Exercise! :)
    10-15 min each day on cleaning/organizing/tidying physical (not digital) stuff (everyday stuff like dishes, laundry, and scooping litter don't count ... but weekly stuff does :D ); plus 5-10 mins each day digitally organizing my plans/ideas (researching counts, but only for the first couple weeks, at most!):

Goal/Habit #1: Organize - physical, 10-15 mins (1-2-3-)
    Cleaning/Decluttering/Organizing
    Physical things, not digital; routine everyday tasks like dishes, scooping litter, laundry don't count 😬😃
    (but weekly tasks like changing sheets, vacuuming, dusting, bins, etc do counts 😉😎✌️)
    1 Sat: 16 min gen tidy: kitch, hallway, bath, recycles (paper, plastic/metal)
    2 Sun: 31 min br (sheets, pillows, etc)
    3 Mon: 65 min everywhere (windows)
    4 Tue:
    5 Wed:
    6 Thu:
    7 Fri:

8 Sat:
    9 Sun:
    10 Mon:
    11 Tue:
    12 Wed:
    13 Thu:
    14 Fri:

Goal/Habit #2: Organize - digital, 10-15 mins (1-2-3-)
    Planning Daily/Weekly/Monthly Schedule
    Using one of the new productivity apps solutions I researched last week, not messaging myself, using a Google sheet, or a Notepad app list ✍️ (ok, researching solutions can count - but only for the first couple weeks!)
    1 Sat: too many hours: To Do List, ToDoist, researching, links meandering
    2 Sun: too many hours: ToDoist, researching, links meandering, Notepad
    3 Mon: ~15 mins: Notepad (bah! but, that's ok, related to researching, links meandering :) )
    4 Tue:
    5 Wed:
    6 Thu:
    7 Fri:

8 Sat:
    9 Sun:
    10 Mon:
    11 Tue:
    12 Wed:
    13 Thu:
    14 Fri:

(Not a stated goal, but tracking this helps me with goal #1 &2 :) )
    Exercise:

(July Steps = 11,182 + 12,345 + 12,418 + )
    (July Intentional Exercise Mins = 49 + 77 + 113 + )
    (July Zone Minutes = 51 + 63 + 53 + )
    (July Squats = 25 + 25 + 25 + )
    1 Sat: 11,182 steps; 25 squats; 49 mins intentional ex mins (7 min strength; 26 min walk; 16 min cleaning); 51 zone mins
    2 Sun: 12,345 steps; 25 squats; 77 mins intentional ex mins (3 min strength; 17 min walk; 24 min walk; 31 min cleaning); 63 zone mins
    3 Mon: 12,418 steps; 25 squats; 113 mins intentional ex mins (8 min strength; 41 min walk; 65 min cleaning); 53 zone mins
    4 Tue: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
    5 Wed: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
    6 Thu: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
    7 Fri: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins

8 Sat: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
    9 Sun: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
    10 Mon: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
    11 Tue: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
    12 Wed: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
    13 Thu: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
    14 Fri: xx,xxx steps; xx squats; xx mins intentional ex mins (x min strength; xx min walk; xx min cleaning); xx zone mins
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I am very interested in what you discover about productivity apps, @mkksemail. I have used a few in the past such as Evernote and Things, but for most of my non work life, I just use Apple Notes. I maintain a detailed and categorized Excel to-do list at work and throughout the day I jot down the major things I accomplished that day in a separate tab on the Excel file. Some come from the to do list, others are new requests I get that day. For me, I have to fight the urge to overly track myself and my progress, or I’ll get discouraged by how much there is still to do.

My goal for July and the rest of the year is to shed 2 to 5 pounds. Two pounds would put me at the upper range of the maintenance weight I’ve held for 11 years since joining MFP in 2011. Five pounds is the lower end of that range. I know all I have to do to achieve that goal is to track my food intake accurately and daily in my MFP diary. When I track my food daily and stay within my calorie goal (1500/1600 calories) I lose weight. When I don’t track, the pounds creep back on. I don’t want to set a lofty goal of tracking every day in July. Instead, I’ve set a goal of tracking every day this week, the first week of July. Then I will worry about Week 2.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,908 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , great suggestion for tackling my project. I have a laundry basket I could use. Hmm… My sister is inspiring me, she is sewing a Colonial outfit for our ball on Saturday, so my competitive nature is kicking in. I don’t need a new colonial outfit since I have one I made in 2019 and haven’t worn since. But I’m considering a big Civil War era skirt with a beautiful fabric that I thought would make a great dress, but is NOT my color. If I make it as a skirt, I can wear a blouse that better suits me near my face.

Great plan @themedalist! I. I need to return to my maintenance weight as well, but mine is further away - more like 20 😬 However, I’m down 5 pounds so far this year, so if I shoot for another 5 by the end of the year, I’d be half way there.

@mkksemail - what a great goal! 10-15 Minutes a day makes a huge impact!

@donna25trinity , I love your lists. Good luck with eating differently from others today especially!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,033 Member
    Options
    @themedalist
    Sounds like a great plan! Slow & steady wins the race!
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Options
    MANAGING TRACKING WHEN AWAY FROM HOME

Hi everyone,

I have to admit that I lost the structure of my day on the JULY 4th holiday and did not track after eating so I ate more than I had planned and it was unnecessary because my body didn’t need it.

I had “food appeal hunger” or food desire, rather than true physiologic hunger

I did not track food after eating although I was aware that I needed to so what I’m going to do in the future is if I am out and I’m not sure exactly what I’m going to have (so I’m not tracking in advance)... I can always track after eating even if it’s in a restroom or whatever if I need to be discreet , sometimes one does not want to draw attention to food behavior in front of others less we stir up emotions over food in other people.

Also, another strategy is to say that I have to manage something via text just like you’re taking a call or whatever and step away and do your best at tracking foods that way, especially the ones that are most important to you to stay on track and be accountable.

So being away with family and others not in the household, who are not necessarily aware of the program I am using ..
    Still provides an opportunity to track.

I also did well on my physical activity yesterday, despite all the holiday uproar, because I made a plan prior to activities. I used “task chunking” to squeeze in physical activity and smaller time BYTES —I called this “exercise snacks”

Then I use “scaffolding technique “ to build a structure for the activity like “stop by store and get more steps in”. . And “10 minutes of tai chi while I’m waiting for the dryer to finish.”

➡️Mindset, Plan, Structure, action , Success

I’ll talk about mindset techniques that I personally use later on because that is behind it all. For me like many other people “just do it” can work sometimes, but it’s not sustainable by itself.

Just sharing. Please take what you like and leave the rest. May you be well
    M
    Health scientist, health educator/ coach, Social Worker. Fellow human seeking wellness with self compassion using evidence. 😽☘️💕
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,046 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    5 July
    * Set intentions in morning 💖
    * Pretrack treat and milk in the morning 💖
    * Weigh and record daily focus on averages! 💖
    *Time slot daily to manage time and stress_ Opt for other ways to treat myself and time slot fun things to do that does not involve food. Dnt use food as a way to combat boredom, stress or loneliness 💖
    *Move more daily, get bub involved! 💖
    * Shave a little calories off..Less oil, more veggies no butter, corn thins instead of bread. 💖
    * Ask hubby whats for dinner, pretrack before i get home 💖
    * Track every BLT, grazing is holding u back! 💖
    * Make 1 generous plate for dinner, lots of veggies! *Dnt be dullision thinking 2 small plates has less calories. Plus u always loose the motivation to weigh the second plate. 💖
    * Eat slow, Hve a cup of tea with food, savour it!😠
    * Lunch no later than 1 pm😠
    *Me fruit and veg daily😠
    *Bub friut and veg daily😠
    * Avoid thinking about wat I am going to say and instead focus on wat pppl are saying 💖
    *Once i get back to 63kg be content! 💖
    * Ensure hubby hides chocolate ALWAYS!💖
    * Dnt start tasks at 4pm so i can leave on time!💖
    *Time slot at 4.00pm for the next day. 😠
    *Leave at 4.30pm 💖
    * Meal Prep for bub always in the morning, dnt pick at it! 💖
    * Plan for maintaince on w/e to indulge but dnt go over as u will negate all your hard work!💖
    * Drink protien shake on days off it helps with hunger! N/A
    * Wen around loved ones don't feel the need to eat what they do, or over eat to show how much u like their food or skip meals to fit in or cause your ashamed about watching your weight! Your not letting them down or missing out! Look at the menu ahead of time for tasty low calor
  • mkksemail
    Options
    @themedalist , thankyou for your ideas and suggestions, and I promise I will share all the nuggets of wisdom I've been given. So much, from so many people! It's wonderful.

I'm making an list of all the list making tips lol. In a few weeks, once I've digested it all, and condensed it, I will absolutely share :).

And ty again to @Michaela_LaGata - wow, GREAT followup post! I will return to this a few times for re-reading/processing.

Check-in for Tuesday: I did not do any organizing chunks yesterday, on the 4th of July, neither physical nor digital.

Cheers,
    mk :) (Maine)
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Options
    Getting myself organized one day at a time.
    Just sharing, not advising. 😽☘️💕

Hi all,
    Like many folks, I have learned that I need to have halfway decent, personal organization: including self-care, self-management, and household/ family stuff. This is necessary before I can Focus effectively on fitness and healthier eating goals. Yes I still pursue my daily fitness goals but these other things will make the habits stick and make the whole process more successful, and a bit easier.

I always tell myself progress, not perfection. I have worked with some amazing young adults in my family and community wide, who are bright and also on the Neurodivergent aspect of a spectrum of functioning. They like everyone have challenges, but possibly more severe challenges with organizing and focusing, and I can learn a lot from methods to help them .

“Attitude” E magazine has brief, free, easy to follow email advice about personal and work organization.
    Example:
    https://www.additudemag.com/how-to-get-organized-with-adhd/

For me, if I get my kitchen cleaned up well before bedtime and my bed made first thing in the morning I am off to a good start.

so I do not clutter up my calendar. I put my tasks for the day in Apple notes, unless I need to anchor something to a time. I have a habit of checking my daily tasks in my notes.

I also found some highly rated household and personal organization YouTubes that have to be road tested by any individual to see if it really speaks to them.

I am also working with the concepts of self compassion and radical acceptance as these two things go together— just to tackle the day.

For this, I really like mindfulness trained psychologist Tara Brach’s YouTube videos —you can take a formal course on her website, but there’s a lot of free stuff on her website and on YouTube.
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Options
    “In calendar” Tracker .. work in progress.

To simplify fitness and life management, I give myself an emoji gold star each day I meet minimal PA and healthy eating target. I make an “all day” appointment so it stays at the top of my calendar and I can see my progress. In Google calendar I can simply use duplicate function to add to another day that I meet my goal and the original date stays in place as well.

SIMPLE

Today I also scheduled three out of many household tasks from my Apple notes. It’s always possible to go back to the notes to do more tasks, but I try to have somethings at the minimum that I can accomplish so I have a feeling of success.

So far, I’m doing pretty well with physical activity and eating habits and I’ve been at this for a long time. It’s a lot harder for women when they are older adults.

Hope you’re doing OK this week. Self compassion is really important for me while attempting all of these things.

Be well.
    M
    😽☘️💕

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I posted this in June by mistake. 😝

BHH I will…
    🦋🐞🦋🌹🪷🌹🦋🐞🦋
    🐞🦋🌹JULY 2023 🌹🐞🦋
    🦋🐞🦋🌹🪷🌹🦋🐞🦋

I am a person who values the health and fitness of body mind and soul

Habits keep me going when motivation flags.

July I will …..
    July focus:
    📍Sleep habits
    📍Adhere to Solid Habits

I am switching off my screens at 11.15pm on at least 5 nights a week
    I have set a reminder on my phone/tablet
    Reward is my usual He Man power salute. 😂
    ⚔️I HAVE THE POWER⚔️
    ✅⭕️✅✅✅✅
    Update: Not only am I switching off all tech, I’m going to bed and having a short read before switching off the lights.
    Daily Solid Habits:
    Adding Just DO it!!! Strategy
    💎Right This Minute: Anti procrastination strategy
    💎Just DO it!!!
    Morning Routines:
    💎Daily Meditation
    💎CleanToilets/Walk/Make beds
    💎Post Sole Mates steps
    💎Weigh < 140/log
    💎Monitor %age Fat/Muscle
    💎Log CI<CO/Balance macros
    💎Herbal tea/supplements