Cheaters/Short cuts

I'm curious if anyone has people at their box that cheat just to get the win. We've got a few at our box and I don't get it I love to win but I'd rather lose not cheating and get a great workout then cheat to win and not do all the reps.

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    I have never noticed anyone at my gym "cheating." I agree with your mindset regarding cheating though. I try to only compete with myself anyway, not anyone else.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    It causes you to do extra burpees at our box and you are humiliated,shunned and exiled to the corner. lol
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    It causes you to do extra burpees at our box and you are humiliated,shunned and exiled to the corner. lol

Wish we did that, but we just have some coaches who won't coach them anymore because they are willing to work
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Personally, I don't think too much into it anymore. Yes it's annoying to know that you are following the rules while they are blatantly breaking them, but that happens every day in life as well. All cheaters will get outed at one point or another even if no one else notices them right now. When the Open comes around or any competition that they may try out since they think they're so bad-A, they'll have a judge counting their reps and it will become very very clear that they have not been doing what they claim to have been doing.

Dirty laundry always gets aired sooner or later.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Yeah, I don't get the point of cheating. Like ascrit said, we're only competing against ourselves really. That's especially true for me since I'm just finishing my first month at my box. I feel like a pansy with some of the weight that I'm lifting, but I know I'll get there soon enough and I'm more focused on learning the proper technique than putting up huge weight. So, as long as I finish the WOD, I don't really care if I'm last...for now. My competitive fire will be lit soon enough, but I still won't cheat.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    I have never noticed that any of the folks that I work out with regularly are cheating, but my coach did tell us that one of the kids who attends was cheating. He did not name names, but I know that he addressed it with him personally.

As others have said, they are only cheating themselves and will eventually be found out. Like 1PatinetBear, I am nearly always the last to finish, but I really couldn't care less about that. For me, it's about getting the work done and getting it done right.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Really how would you know unless a coach told you or you watched another class. If you noticed while you were working out then you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. We had a split class one time and I noticed then. I also noticed someone that completed more rounds than she wrote down. I use to tell em don't worry about keeping up with mine and I didn't want it posted, oh the shame. lol
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    I've never known it to be formally addressed at my box, but I know I have seen several people cheat to be at top of fininshers. And like most of you have said, it's usually the people who think they are the super bad-*kitten* that are doing it. Weak-sauce!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Really how would you know unless a coach told you or you watched another class. If you noticed while you were working out then you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. We had a split class one time and I noticed then. I also noticed someone that completed more rounds than she wrote down. I use to tell em don't worry about keeping up with mine and I didn't want it posted, oh the shame. lol

I agree. I probably wouldn't recognize it because I was too busy killing myself on my own workout.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I always say I'm the worst counter in CrossFit. Why? Because I give everything I've got and realize it's not about the white board. If someone wants to be a busy body and count my reps or rounds, be my guest. I promise you I've missed some and I've done extra. Of course, I've maybe finished three times in two years.

The people I work out with do not give a rats-*kitten* about the "win" during class.

I gotta say this whole post just rubs me the wrong way.

ETA: I will say that I know all of the lifting PR's of my girls. Why? Because we cheer and celebrate and that makes it memorable for me.

That's what I pay attention to, victories.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Big question is, why do you care?

Mind your own workout, them shorting themselves isn't hurting you.
  • ascrit
    I always say I'm the worst counter in CrossFit. Why? Because I give everything I've got and realize it's not about the white board. If someone wants to be a busy body and count my reps or rounds, be my guest. I promise you I've missed some and I've done extra. Of course, I've maybe finished three times in two years.

The people I work out with do not give a rats-*kitten* about the "win" during class.

ETA: I will say that I know all of the lifting PR's of my girls. Why? Because we cheer and celebrate and that makes it memorable for me.

Well said!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member

And this is why we like you, Karin. Well said.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Well this led to an interesting discussion, and it's been interesting at my box it's funny because the two that are accused of cheating are females and I've never noticed when I have done a wod with them because I just go to work out and get better. My personal thoughts on it is if someone is cheating or short cutting intentionally that's their loss, they aren't getting better and they're wasting money you get into any workout you do what you put out. Apparently at my box this has become an issue for some but if someone is that pressed about the white board then that's their issue I love my time and rounds whether fast or slow high or low. I'm to the point I'm almost rxing every wod and that means the world to me so if I go a bit slower doing rx but getting screw a win.

I was just wondering if this was a discussion that happen at anyone else's box
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member

I can only adequately describe my appreciation for this post with this picture.
    double-rainbow-demotivational.jpg
  • ascrit

I can only adequately describe my appreciation for this post with this picture.
    double-rainbow-demotivational.jpg

<3<3<3
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    I always finish in the bottom somewhere, not for lack of trying to not, but hey the workout is rough. I work hard to get all my numbers done, but you know what sometimes you just can't make that final snatch, it just isn't in you, but for me it is not to finish first, because that never happens, it's just that I can't, especially if I just moved up in weight.

I hate cheating and I try hard to get every count, because I am paying that lump sum of cash to my box each month, only person I am short changing is myself
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Forgive my ignorance, but cheating HOW? I mean, what is cheating in crossfit and what is it versus scaling? What if someone scaled the workout reps or weight? I guess I'm not following what exactly cheating is unless there's some sort of award.

I look at crossfit as a form of exercise, and my prize is meeting my fitness/weight loss goals. I don't see it as if I'm the fastest/strongest I'll get a major award at the end.....unless there are boxes that do that.

Are there any? I may need to find those.
  • ascrit
    Forgive my ignorance, but cheating HOW? I mean, what is cheating in crossfit and what is it versus scaling? What if someone scaled the workout reps or weight? I guess I'm not following what exactly cheating is unless there's some sort of award.

I look at crossfit as a form of exercise, and my prize is meeting my fitness/weight loss goals. I don't see it as if I'm the fastest/strongest I'll get a major award at the end.....unless there are boxes that do that.

I look at it this way; if you are scaling then that is something you decide to do before your workout, like doing ring rows instead of pull ups or doing 10 reps instead of 20. Cheating is saying you did 20 reps when you really did 10 or yelling out, "TIME!" when in reality you still have reps left to do of lying about whether you scaled or not.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member

I look at it this way; if you are scaling then that is something you decide to do before your workout, like doing ring rows instead of pull ups or doing 10 reps instead of 20. Cheating is saying you did 20 reps when you really did 10 or yelling out, "TIME!" when in reality you still have reps left to do of lying about whether you scaled or not.

perfect. It's claiming to do something that you did not in fact do, or attempt to do since sometimes reps get miscounted or mixed up (an easy easy thing to do!). If I even feel like I miscounted, I never put my rounds or time for others to see. And if I track it in my notebook I put a "?" next to it so that I know I wasn't absolutely certain that I did every rep I was supposed to.