how to watch and exercise when prenant

Options
HI,

I'm only 4 weeks pregnant. Here is a bit of my history.

Pregnancy #1 - gained 50 lbs, 2 weeks early, didnt watch my weight or exercise
pregnancy #2 - gained 50 lbs, on time, watched a bit - no formal watching, no exercise
pregnancy #3 - gained 25 lbs, 3 weeks early, watched what i ate (ate healthy and didnt overeat, little to no exercise
pregnancy #4 - trying to figure out!

I started working out like a maniac in May so when I did get pregnant I could continue to workout and not modify other than crunches and not laying on the floor.

Before ttc MFP said i should be eating 1450 calories to lose 1 lb a week and work out 4 times.
I just changed it to lose .5 lbs a week and exercise 2-3 times a week and got 1700.
I also checked online with a pregnancy calculator saying that I want to work out 2-3 times a week and it said 1900.

I know the idea is to add 300 calories when pregnant (verses eating for 2).

I wont be seeing my OB for another month so I dont know what he wants me to do.

How much should I be eating?

Replies

• momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I suggest you set your calories at maintenance and continue your exercise routine. Once you get to your 2nd trimester you can add 300 calories and modify your exercise to something that doesnt involve crunches or lying on your back for extended periods of time. good luck and beshah tova
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating at maintenance plus at least half of your exercise calories for the first trimester. The rest depends on whether you were overweight pre-pregnancy or not.
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have had a tough time with this as well. I have a Body Media Fit armband that automatically adjusts my calories based on what I have burned during the day on MFP Well that has been a fun ride of trying to adjust my calorie goal per day to hit just right. It seems like if I eat anything over 2000-2100 a day even with activity I'm piling on weight but with my calories set at my BMR plus my activity calories its saying I should be eating 2300-2500 Trying to find a happy medium has been difficult for me. The best advice I have been given is calculate your AMR (active metabolic rate) plus 300 calories in 2nd and 3rd trimester and see how your weight gain goes if it seems on par then great if lower add about 100 calories until it sets right or lower if going to fast.