Leslie Sansone October 2023 Walk and Workout Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
WELCOME to all walkers!

The October Walk Challenge starts tomorrow, so now is the time to be thinking about our new monthly challenge goals!

Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs, to pop in the player can be a great addition to walking outdoors in the crisp cool days of Autumn. For those who are enjoying the onset of cooler weather, walking or hiking outdoors might well continue to be a pleasant alternative to the DVDs. For those of us who live where high temperatures outdoors could easily remain for another month or so, the DVDs are awesome when it is nearly impossible to want to get up with the sun to squeeze in a quick, cooler walk early in the morning.

Hmmm, just for fun I checked our current temps and it is in the mid 90s! The air conditioner just kicked back on.....however.....it is below 100+ degrees for the middle of the day ๐Ÿ˜…. Here comes autumn ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜.

One thing is for sure... we are definitely at least getting closer to enjoying the wonderful sights, scents, tastes... and of course the amazing colors, of Autumn. How about where you live... are the leaves ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚ falling, or the cold fronts trying to move in yet?? Enjoy!!!

This group is open to any and all walkers ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™€๏ธ however you get your walk in. There may be times when walking is not always an option for a number of reasons, so feel free to substitute other forms of exercise when needed, or for a change or an addition to walking.
We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that joining this month's walk challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you, as you in turn will inspire others! So come on in and join us!

Whenever you are posting what you have accomplished please remember to also share any strength training or other types of workouts that you are doing. We all benefit greatly by learning from one another and getting new ideas. And it is such an encouragement to read each others' posts.

The goal that you choose is your own personal goal for this month ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘Ÿ , so change it up however you would like to.

If you find this group in the middle of the month it truly doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you hope to accomplish during the remaining days of this month. So if you are new to the group please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in, you are always welcome!

And now... let us lace up those walking shoes and get some water... as we begin to walk into October 2023!

mmmm .... oh, yes!! this is also the month when we can enjoy all things 'pumpkin' :yum: ..... as well as all of the other wonderful sights, scents, and yummy tastes of autumn ;)

As always, together, we can do this,

texasgardnr, ๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿฆ‹๐ŸŒท
ยซ13

Replies

• zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Goal for October:
    Meet or exceed steps steps Garmin assigns each day!

10/1-Garmin-5585 My actual steps-

We are at peak color this week and the leaves are already falling. The mountains are ablaze this year and they say it is because we have had so much rain. The trees are all well watered and happy so they are showing off. Lots of bright orange and vibrant reds that we have not seen in a few years. Even our conifer needles that are dropping (we have spruce, hemlock and white pine mostly) are more yellow than brown this year. It will be a beautiful week to hike mountains and go leaf peeping here that is for sure!

:bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/1-Garmin-5585 Actual steps-6327 :)
    10/2-Garmin-5770 Actual steps-

One day down! :laugh:
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/2-Garmin-5770 Actual steps-6038
    10/3-Garmin-5837 Actual steps-

Even though I had less actual steps than on Sunday, I still exceeded Garmin's goal so I'll take it!! :laugh: I was a little surprised though as I spent most of the day detailing our boat so we can put it in the garage for winter. I must have walked around in it more than I thought!!! : :p It's been out of the water for a couple of weeks, but I did not get the motivation to deep clean it until yesterday. It was 78F yesterday, is going to be 80F today and 85F on Wednesday!!! It is supposed to rain on Friday and next week it will go back to our normal 50sF, so I want to get all the vehicles detailed for winter and all the wood split and stacked. Today, I am detailing car, helping my DH get the connector dock out of the water, and maybe I will still have time, read energy, to split some wood? As long as it amounts to more than 5837 steps, I'll be happy!!
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/3-Garmin-5837 Actual steps-6272
    10/4-Garmin-5837 Actual steps-
    My plans for yesterday shifted, but I still got my steps in. I detailed both our car and truck so all of our vehicles are clean and ready to go into the winter. We have bears here, so we have to keep food out of our parked vehicles. It is also really important to clean up anything that gets spilled in the vehicles because bears pick up the tiniest scents :s . We decided to take care of the vehicles yesterday and leave the wood for today because bears are heavily foraging for winter now and have been spotted tipping over empty garbage cans in our area. They are cute and I realize this is their home too, BUT, I do not want them to destroy my car!!! :laugh: Our garbage and recycling containers are inside our shed, so they usually leave them alone. Since cleaning vehicles does not require a lot of walking, I used your method @texasgardnr ! I had to take my children's winter coats to the attic since they will not be here this winter and I took them one at a time! It works!!!
  • Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Oh, for crying out loud! I made a post here a few days ago, and it never posted. ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

October Goals

Mileage tracked: 75
    Apple Challenge: Close my exercise ring 21 times.

It's been a beautiful start to Oct. here. 80's through today. Ryan even made it to the bike trail on Tuesday. It cools off tomorrow with some rain and then Fall weather really settles in.
    I made it for my morning walk yesterday and today. I even played around on the Fitness Court today. So I look forward to incorporating that into my routine when the weather works out. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Due to a UTI, I've been pushing fluids like crazy and added an electrolyte mix as well. I've been meaning to finish this container up before it expires. Now I think I'll reorder another container b/c I like the flavor.
    I may have settled on a pair of shoes. I ordered 4 different types from Amazon and was most pleased with a pair by Brooks. I especially liked a built-in bungee cord that you can stick your laces through so they are contained and not flopping around. $90 price tag, That hurts my little Dutch girl heart.

@zichab I was wrong about Jessica Smith's paid program. It's $297 yearly for 2,400 hours worth of routines. ๐Ÿ˜ The probably doesn't make it better though. ๐Ÿคฃ She did just upload a new Walk N Talk to her YouTube page.
    One of my favorite "tricks" to get steps is to park on the opposite side of the store than I need to be in.
    Jenny Ford, in the last month, has uploaded new workouts on her YouTube page.
    The Walk at Home YouTube page hasn't had anything in about 3 months.

TTFN!
  • Deeder522
    Options
    mhijf1hvarzv.jpeg

PS. Here is a picture I took while at the park when my ADD got the best of me during a walk. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/4-Garmin-5837 Actual steps-7016
    10/5-Garmin-5945 Actual steps

Beautiful photo @Deeder522 ! It's still so green there! WOW! This heat wave we are having is great for getting things done, but is so weird for this late in the fall. When I was young, we would have really hot days in September. I remember it because it was so hot in the school building that we would stick to our desks! :laugh: No AC back then!

I did the math and assuming Jessica Smith puts out 2400 hours of NEW videos, she will be working out 6.5 hours everyday (including Sat & Sun and holidays) just filming! Unless she has an editor, she then has to edit! No rest days or life for Jessica! :p

UTIs are the worst and my heart goes out to you! I had them so bad when I was in my 20s that my MD put me on low dose antibiotics for a year to give my bladder a rest. They stopped after I had my son and I have only had a couple in the years since. They are so darn painful!

I park far away from buildings when I am alone, but most of the time Dennis is with me and his knees are so bad that he needs to park close. I make up for it though by doing all the running around in the store so he does not have to walk a lot. Once his cardiologist gives the OK, he is having knee replacements and he will have to walk as much as possible, so we can go back to parking away from buildings! :+1:

Speaking of Dennis, we are off to cardio rehab! :bigsmile:

• zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/5-Garmin-5945 Actual steps-6729
    10/6-Garmin-6341 Actual steps-

Garmin is pushing it! :laugh: The rain moves in tonight and our 80 degree weather is ending thank goodness! We are still at a balmy 70 today, but dropping back into the 40s and 50s tonight. They are even saying we could have our first snow on Sunday night. If it happens, it will probably not be measurable. Nevertheless, I am prepared! My books are piled up ready to read and the wood is ready for the fire so bring on the snow! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/6-Garmin-6341 Actual steps-6468
    10/7-Garmin-6372 Actual steps-

A super odd thing has happened! I have had a goal of 3miles/day for the last 2 months and been unable to achieve it more than a few days a month. Since I started tracking my steps, I have achieved 3 miles every day! :laugh: I think it is because I am setting my Garmin to steps rather than the time so I see where I am every time I look at it.

One stack of logs are split and stacked on the back porch ready for stove season! I love the fires in our fireplace insert, but splitting and stacking wood is a real strength workout! 3sccyydfa6pe.png

Rain all day so time to catch up on my housework! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:
    Meet or exceed steps Garmin assigns each day!

10/7-Garmin-6372 Actual steps-6788
    10/8-Garmin-6476 Actual steps-

I am on snow watch, but Dennis Downer says "It's way too early! It is NOT going to snow!" He is my own personal "dream killer!" :laugh:

I have to say that setting my Garmin so I see the steps all the time is very motivating. I have it set to show me how many steps I have left to goal and it is kind of fun to watch the number go down. Again, I had over 3 miles yesterday all inside my house since it was raining ALL DAY! :grumble: Apparently steps are the way to miles? Who knew??? B)

Hope you two are enjoying October! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I love fires. Campfires, fireplace fires, and fake fires on YouTube that I play for background noise. There is something so comforting about the.

Fall temps arrived a few days ago. This morning it was 39โ„‰. Since I don't walk outside unless it's 50 or above I need to find some ways to get my steps inside again. I do miss how fall gradually moved in instead of the "hold my beer" temperature changes we have now.

However, the fall colors are also arriving and the dramatic change in temperature it gave me the opportunity for this shot that one of the local news stations even picked up.

ajyajnvzga25.jpeg
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/8-Garmin-6476 Actual steps-6752
    10/9-Garmin-6545 Actual steps-

That is a beautiful shot @Deeder522 ! So perfectly Michigan!!! I <3 it!! It would be a nice shot for MLive to post on their Life page. Fall did just kind of drop this year with little warning here as well. Then there were those few days of 80+F!
    Even though we have a fireplace insert on both floors, we still play the fake fires on the TV fairly often! :laugh: They just make you feel so darn warm!
    I'm a little surprised I made my steps yesterday as Sunday is my planning day and I spend more time sitting with planners, phone and computer than almost any other day. I made a conscious effort to get up and do something every 20 minutes or so. As the step counts gets higher, that will not work though and I'll need to break out the Leslie DVDs. No excuses as I have the space now.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    October Goals

Mileage tracked: 22 / 75
    Apple Challenge: Close my exercise ring 2 / 21 times.

Hmm, that Apple Challenge isn't looking promising. lol
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/9-Garmin-6545 Actual steps-7750
    10/10-Garmin-6846 Actual steps-

Maybe go for the standing ring this month instead @Deeder522? By focusing on steps rather than miles, I actually seem to feel better and be more energetic because I get up throughout the day and do things to get steps in. I am pretty sure I have not done 30 minutes of continuous exercise since we split and stacked the wood and they say just standing throughout the day also has many health benefits! Let's face it, it is getting cold and we northern folks are starting our hibernation season! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/10-Garmin-6846 Actual steps-7219
    10/11-Garmin-6939 Actual steps-

How do people do 10,000 steps a day???? I need a grocery store job or something. :laugh: Garmin is inching toward 7,000 steps and I have only managed that 3 days this month. It is becoming a challenge now. I am going to have to cut my You Tube and Oxygen time down! :noway: Can I do it? We will see! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/11-Garmin-6939 Actual steps-6557
    10/12 -Garmin-6802 Actual steps-

Well, I broke my streak and missed by assigned steps yesterday :cry: Our neighbors came home from a trip to the Canadian Rockies ( I know it is ironic considering where we live :laugh: ) and we visited with them for a few hours yesterday and I never got my "get up and go" groove back. Today, I should be back on track though as we have to get the screen porch furniture covered, get all the tubes, towels, swim fins etc into the boat for winter storage and sweep a summers worth of spiders, webs and bugs out of our attic windows. The worst part of living here are the ginormous (size and amount) spiders!!! They make webs every where and I detest them. I have rid them from my front porch by cleaning with vinegar (they HATE it), but I can't cover my house, garage, shed and porches with vinegar! Wait ... maybe I can! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/12 -Garmin-6802 Actual steps-7313
    10/13-Garmin-6802 Actual steps-

That's more like it! Today will not be as good. I have a lot of car riding to do-dentist, groceries, dump etc. Errand day is car day here. :grumble: See you two tomorrow! :bigsmile:

• Deeder522
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Today, it's rained nearly all day. Along with that plus two long drives to clients, I feel like I haven't moved at all.
    Tomorrow, more rain. ๐Ÿ˜ซ
    Sunday, clouds but no rain. May have to do some outside winter prep to get my body moving.

@zichab So you missed 1 day, big woo! lol Look at how you've improved all those other days.

Why does it seem like all the typical fast-food chains have removed grilled chicken everything from the menu? It seems that way around me. If it isn't deep fried and has cheese on it they won't sell it. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ
    I continue to work at being good and stay away from dairy but Starbucks tried to kill me today. I ordered Royal breakfast tea with 1 tea bag. They try to make me a tea latte. I was able to stop the barista before she poured the whole milk into the cup of hot water. She apologized and tried to tell me that all their drinks had milk in them. What?!? ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/13-Garmin-6802 Actual steps-4445
    10/14-Garmon-6805 Actual steps-

I knew yesterday would be bad, but the trip to the dentist was the real reason. I thought I chipped a tooth and would need a simple filling, but it turns out, I broke a crown! :noway: So, I spent yesterday on the couch sleeping off pain pills. My jaw is so sore today.
    Thanks for the pep talk @Deeder522! I am a terrible perfectionist and it is a hard trait to get around. One of my goals for this year way to work on my "all or nothing" mindset and fitness goals are the last item on the list. I can give myself grace for things that are beyond my control, like a long, unpleasant dentist appointment, but not for simply "not feeling like it."
    I have noticed the same thing here @Deeder522. With the exception of Subway (which is high in sodium) and Halo Burger (which I think is local to the Flint-Genessee county area of MI), everything else is deep fried. Up here, it is hard to go out for the day and grab anything even remotely low fat and/or low sodium. Dennis and I have taken to bringing our own food with us when we know we will have a long day out. With his heart issues, we have to make sure he does not get a big infusion of sodium all at one time and everything is loaded with salt. McDonalds used to have a really good grilled chicken sandwich and salad cups. I have not seen them since COVID. People must be buying it though or they would be revamping the menu. :neutral:
    Til tomorrow! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Goal for October:

10/13-Garmin-6802 Actual steps-4445
    10/14-Garmin-6805 Actual steps-5513
    10/15-Garmin-6805 Actual steps-

I cleaned my oven yesterday and wiped down all my kitchen cabinets and then ... I fell asleep! I have had to take a lot of Tylenol to deal with the pain in my mouth. Apparently, I bit the inside of my cheek to shreds and I must have also bit my tongue at some point. Today, everything seems much better, so I am not going to take any pain meds and hope I can get some steps in. Time will tell! :bigsmile: