The tyranny of the GPS watch

Options
GiddyupTim
GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
What ever happened to the good old days when you didn't have to measure everything?
When running was just about the beauty of movement and the freedom of the road or trail, and, maybe, the meditative aspect of a repetitive activity. When you didn't mark your minutes per mile, every mile.
When, if you wanted to get better, you just ran a little further every time, or every week, and you had no idea how far it was exactly.
When, if you wanted to get faster, you just found a hill andraced to the top a little more quickly every time, and the reward was you got a nice view of the countryside at the top, or maybe you just sprinted at the end of every run, to finish it off.
I know people (I am trying to avoid getting into marital-relations trouble here) who have to wait for five minutes before every run to beam in their satellites. They know how quick their every step is. They know exactly how many miles they have run. They do speed work every week, where they go faster for exactly 300 yards or 800 yards or half a mile.
Don't the watches suck all the fun and spontaneity out of running? Don't they make it a little too obsessive?
I mean, who really wants to know: "You have exactly three more miles to go"? Not me. That's torture. When I run, I wanna think, 'Gee, this is a nice road/trail. i wonder what is around the corner.'
Is there anyone else who feels like I do?

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    There probably are a few who feel that way, but likely just as many who enjoy it more with all the stats and info. I do like knowing my total miles per run and compiling over time to months. It is nice to know what my usual pace is so that I can find others to run with who run about the same speed. I don't look down on anyone that does it either way; to each his own...
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Being the OCD person that I am, I love my Garmin. Unfortunately, it died last week. Gave up the ghost. Pooped out. Rats.

Imagine my surprise when my husband told me to watch the mail because he had ordered me a new one and upgraded it to boot!

He doesn't wear one but is constantly asking me our pace, current lap, etc. So he's just as hooked as I am! Funny, that.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I love all the data and stats. However after I did my half marathon I was burnt out from all the training and having to hit my paces so I turned everything off for a while. I just ran without worrying about pace or time or distance. And I will probably do that again when my marathon is over. Just run for the love of it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    We are in the information age, friend. A notebook, stopwatch, and a map just don't fit into my lifestyle. I'd rather push a button and have the information readily available to measure, compare, and motivate. Not taking anything away from "old school" running by any means, but different generations = different ways. I will say that the runners I look up to don't get caught up in all the gadgets, but like I said, it just won't work for me.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I run without the Garmin, usually when I am out adventuring and really don't have anything in particular in mind. In these types of situations, I usually have a map so I know where I am and how to get back quickly if needed. Call it the manual "backtrack" feature. But then I like maps.

I do always have some sort of a timepiece though, because without it I might end up out in the darkness :-)

I do wear the Garmin more often than not, though. I think it's mostly habit and I think it would be a hard habit to break.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We are in the information age, friend. A notebook, stopwatch, and a map just don't fit into my lifestyle. I'd rather push a button and have the information readily available to measure, compare, and motivate. Not taking anything away from "old school" running by any means, but different generations = different ways. I will say that the runners I look up to don't get caught up in all the gadgets, but like I said, it just won't work for me.

I knew it. I am just old and curmudgeonly, dagnabit!
    But, old school was so much less obsessive and regimented. Trite and quaint as it may sound to you whippersnappers, we just ran with the road.
  • WebbyShoo
    Options
    I read the book "Run, the mind body method of running by feel" by Matt Fitzgerald and it kept me from buying a HRM, I am a full on Mimimalist now, no music, no GPS, no watch aside from the clock on the wall when I leave the house and get back. It's made my OCD and perfectionism better instead of what could have been worse... Lol, I don't need to hyper analyze myself more than I already do, it's freeing for me that way.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Why not do both, there are benefits of having the data and benefits of having a more natural run. Take a holistic view of running rather than making it too "secular"
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I ran with a Garmin for the first 2 years, until it broke. It was very liberating last summer when I didn't have one. But I use a tracker on my phone, so I know in the end what my splits are. I occasionally wear a Garmin to get a reading on my heart rate.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten a garmin yet for these reasons. I'm not a robot. I just want to run at whatever pace comes natural that day, not a prescribed pace as part of a plan. My paticular life situation doesn't fit nicely into any training plan to begin with, so I do my own thing. I do realize that because of these things though, I may not break my somewhat ambitious goal (ambitious is realative of course) of 1:57 for my next half. If I was using modern technology I'd have a better chance, maybe because I could make my training more precise.

That being said, I do use a little technology. I set my running app on my phone and stop it when I get home. I never look at it during. Of course I run some amount of the charles river 5 days a week, I know how far I've gone and how far away my starting point is. And I can generally guess my pace pretty well too. But I hate to know for sure. I actually prefer races that don't have clocks at every mile. That just makes me start to worry about if I'm going to achieve my goal or not.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I knew it. I am just old and curmudgeonly, dagnabit!
    But, old school was so much less obsessive and regimented. Trite and quaint as it may sound to you whippersnappers, we just ran with the road.
    I carve wood as a hobby and I have some of the some feelings about classic hand tools versus Dremels. But progress is progress. Polio may have made some people tough and smallpox thinned the herd, but I am kinda glad they aren't concerns I or my kids have to face.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I have a science/engineering background so I enjoy the numbers. Having that info easily accessible helps to track progress, look for trends, and places to improve. My $.02 anyway.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have a science/engineering background so I enjoy the numbers. Having that info easily accessible helps to track progress, look for trends, and places to improve. My $.02 anyway.

^^^ This. I am a Software Engineer so I am a huge numbers nerd. However, I obsess over the numbers after my run. Most of the time I just have a screen that shows my HR with no pace or time.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love my GPS watch, while I run I am constantly checking my speed, pace, distance and heart rate. I calculate how I'm doing as I go in my head from this data. If my body says enough, I tell it that the watch says you're not finished yet, and it keeps going.
    When the run is over there are hours of fun to be had analysing the data on my laptop. Then projecting forward to my next race, the computer says I can break 2 hours for my October half marathon!!! ( my body says " you must be joking, we're doing 2:15")
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm a numbers geek (or so my wife tells me) and I like the feedback my Garmin gives me, especially when I have a specific pace I want to run at.

Having said that I do make a point of occasionally leaving it at home and just going for a run.
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OP, I do agree with you in many ways, which is one reason I don't have a Garmin. The other is cost. I do, however, utilize the GPS on my phone to track my speed/distance when I run new trails. Otherwise, I just use a regular watch and perceived exertion. I do think Garmins have a place for speed training, and I would use it if I had one. I would also probably use one if I did more road running.

I am a long-distance trail runner (and I'm pretty slow), so maybe that's why I'm a little more lax about technology. The trails are my sanity and my serenity, and I don't need much more than my dog, my husband, and the wildlife to have an amazing run!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Don't the watches suck all the fun and spontaneity out of running?

Nope, I like my Forerunner.

Before the data, I would over-do it and not know it.

Keeps me from over-training, no more shin splints, no more gettin' sidelined.

Sure folks say "run by feel" but I felt great and then got sidelined

Repeatedly

I'll keep the GPS :-)
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I agree with you OP and this is why I have many days that I just put on my shoes and go. I don't even log it in MFP. I do use my Garmin for specific training days though... the best of both worlds! =)
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    My Dr "suggested " the HRM since I am a 65 year old who was severely hypertensive and obese and since I ran on perceived exertion he schooled me to stay below certain BPM as I progressed it just seemed a natural progression to add the GPS factor to monitor distance and pace as well. My BPM and BP are no longer factors he is concerned about but the habit of monitoring all the vitals plus distance and pace has set in and it is as much a part of my running as the music I play.
    You say you don't listen to music as you run Well thats another topic altogether.
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I only have a regular ole sports watch, that I use only on tempo runs and races. Even then, it feels oppressive - I check it compulsively. For a few years, I used to log all my runs, time my splits, etc, but I kinda threw all that out of the window recently. It was killing all the joy and beauty in running for me.

Although it's a bit of a stereotype, I do believe that a lot of runners fall in the "Type A" personality bracket. Some folks get a wee bit obsessed with posting all their splits, race times, etc. Nothin' wrong with that, but for my part, I think it's fun to just tie up my shoes and go for a relaxed run than bother with all that.