Testing Notifications

Options
mitsylee
mitsylee Posts: 7 Member
Hi everyone,
I have borrowed my mother's account (yes, with permission) to test my notification settings. I am hoping to still receive notifications via the πŸ”” icon of this new GROUP discussion without having it bookmarked. I will be posting back & forth with my own account and updating this discussion with my findings.

Replies

• mgood4x4
    mgood4x4 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great news - my 1st test was successful and I DID get the notification that this discussion was started 😁
    Here is a screenshot of my settings & the notification...
    itxfliatrr1d.png
    hxwk5uj76hdu.png
    Next test is to post from Mom's account on the "Group Notifications" discussion that I created that IS BOOKMARKED to make sure I get a notification from it.
  • mgood4x4
    Options
    Not as good a result (& I forgot to screenshot itπŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ)
    I did not get the red bubble by the πŸ””, but when I clicked it, the notification was there with a small blue dot beside it indicating it was not read yet. My final test will be to post to a different community discussion and NOT BOOKMARK IT. Then post to the same discussion with Mom's account to see if I get the unwanted notification.
  • mitsylee
    Options
    Update: I posted to the Welcome former SparkPeople Members! discussion because both Mom & I used to be members there and these posts will still be relevant.
  • mitsylee
    Options
    Hmmm. I thought I posted here from my account last night saying I would be checking to see if I still get a bubble notification from this discussion. It was late & I was tired so I must have forgot to hit the Post Reply button before shutting everything down 😳
  • mgood4x4
    Options
    Did not get a notification for the last post from this morning. I am going to bookmark this discussion and try again...
  • mitsylee
    Options
    Final, test message. If successful and I get a notification of this post, I will reply with my final thoughts.
  • mgood4x4
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Okay, I'm pretty sure I have my notifications set the way I want them until MFP adds Push Notifications for groups.

I DID get the last message with bubble on the πŸ”” once I bookmarked this discussion.
    wzened7k54qa.png

Immediately after the screenshot when I clicked the πŸ”” again I saw a new notification from the Category I followed (Feature Suggestions and Ideas) about a new discussion - but it had no bubble, just a blue dot indicating it was not read.
    ti3evhvgclgr.png
    So I went to the Manage Followed Categories and unfollowed the Category. I will keep an eye on my notifications and discussions that I want to get notices on and post here if I need to make a change.

My conclusion is to keep my settings as pictured in the first reply here, and MAKE SURE ANY DISCUSSIONS I WANT TO FOLLOW ARE BOOKMARKED. This should allow me to get the notifications I want and not all the extras from just posting in a discussion. If you follow a category, you will get a notification without bubble for every new discussion started within that category. NOTE!! This aslo means that I will get a notification without bubble when a new discussion is started here in our Horse Group - but if I want to get additional notifications afterwards, I will need to make sure I BOOKMARK the new discussion. I will post a confirmation (or change if necessary) HERE next week to allow enough time for each category or discussion I posted in to receive more replies.
  • mitsylee
    Options
    Official findings...
  • mgood4x4
    Options
    Soooo.... I did not get very many replies to the original discussions that I posted to from Mom's account or mine, so I also commented on a very active thread that get 10+ posts per day. I didn't bookmark it the day I commented, and DID NOT get notifications. Went back for 2 days and saw all the new comments, then I bookmarked the discussion and received a red 8 bubble with the πŸ”” by the next afternoon. I removed the bookmark again, and did not get any more notifications (forgot to screenshot). One final post from Mom's account to confirm - & voilΓ !
    rljhxw1t0bs8.jpg

Final conclusion: You WILL receive all desired notifications via the πŸ”” as long as the discussions you want notifications for are BOOKMARKED. To get rid of all the unwanted notifications from active discussions that you commented on but no longer follow, be sure to set your settings as pictured in the first screenshot in this thread - UNCHECK ⬜New comments on posts I've participated in. This will allow all your bookmarked discussions to send notifications while blocking the ones you don't want.