To Run or Not to Run

Options
Hello all.

I'm a new runner training for my 1st 5k race on November. So tomorrow, I'm scheduled to do my tempo run, but I'm not sure if I should run because I got common cold since yesterday. I don't feel really sick, but I don't feel really well either.

I would like to know what do you guys do when you guys have a training scheduled the next day and you guys have some minor illness (cold, cough, or mild fever). Do you guys just ignore it and run, or just take a day off?

Thank you.

-kntxx

Replies

• smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If it affects you from the neck up then run, if it's neck down (chesty symptoms) then leave it.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree that if it's a head cold, I run. I usually blow snot rockets while running no matter what. It really helps alleviate congestion. "Hose the nose"
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I would run, but I am one of those annoying people who can shake a 24 hour bug in 20 minutes or so... :bigsmile:
    I am somewhat serious; I have missed maybe 5 days of work in the last 20 years. But I think a big part of it is a willingness to try to push through things.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I did a tri Saturday with a cold. Granted it wasn't a stellar performance, but I already paid for the thing. Unless you're having difficulty breathing or keeping fluids/food down, HTFU :)
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I always had in my mind that a training session is able to make any cold go away from my body... But if you have breath issues due to this its better lower your expectations about this specific session.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If it affects you from the neck up then run, if it's neck down (chesty symptoms) then leave it.

This.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I usually ask myself, "if I felt like this on race day, would I run?" and if the answer is yes, then I usually do the training run.

If you have to walk a little more than usual, there's certainly no shame in that!
  • kntxx
    kntxx Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the responses. I decided to just switch my training and rest days for this week.

I didn't know that many runners still do their training even though they're not 100% feeling well. Well, I guess, now I know what to do next time.

Again, thank you all!