Getting Calcium From Vegan Sources

Options
henridw2095
henridw2095 Posts: 890 Member
edited December 2023 in Social Groups
Hi all - I thought it would be nice to have a separate thread on calcium. I didn't want to put it into resources, because I felt I don't quite understand the topic yet, so I will post research and questions here as I go. Making this about vegan sources, because milk products are an obviously good source of calcium making it easier for those that consume dairy.

For context, I first started using MFP to track calcium when I was acutely having effects from hypoparathyroidism following a thyroidectomy. I found it very hard to get calcium in recommended quantities from a near-vegan diet.

One good place to start is by taking a supplement (I am supplementing 500mg daily as prescribed by my endocrinologist). My feeling is that most modern supplements are well formulated to allow absorption, taking calcium carbonate or calcium citrate apparently resulted in similar blood calcium in studies, often these supplements also include magnesium, Vit D and Vit K2. I want to research this topic more, but it sounds like
magnesium activates Vit D. Calcium itself binds to proteins involved in muscle contraction. K2 seems to play a role in directing calcium in the body. Note that it is possible to take too much vitamin D, so be cautious! My condition was a bit complex, but I was symptomatic (tingling in the muscles, especially with exercise) with normal blood calcium levels. I would therefore not assume that a blood calcium test 100% predicts what will happen in your muscles.

I made a preliminary table that shows calcium content of foods I would consume (milk as reference), sorted by calcium content per 100 calories (I found this to be the most helpful way to think about it) 🤓. I am still looking into calcium absorption and the effects of oxalates, which seem to be tricky. For example, the calcium content of bok choy is amazing, but apparently it's not absorbed well (but well enough to still be very useful). Arugula seems to be a surprisingly great source (double checked). Personally, I don't eat a lot of spinach, since it's also high in oxalates. I heard mixed things about kale and oxalates and need to research. I did not include tofu set with calcium in this table, because I consider that a supplement. I also don't track my calcium and vitamin supplements so I can see what I get from food, knowing that the supplements will push me into the recommended amounts.

There is a version of that table that includes protein 🤓 - feel free to message me for the excel file.

vfnlf1dg3l9q.png

Replies

• henridw2095
    Options
    As an add-on: tracking calcium on MFP is tricky, since it's often not accurate in the database entries. So I double entries against databases, such as the USDA food database, which is also the source of the info above.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    This is on the UK NHS website re vegan calcium sources:

Calcium is needed to maintain healthy bones and teeth.

Non-vegans get most of their calcium from dairy foods (milk, cheese and yoghurt), but vegans can get it from other foods.

Good sources of calcium for vegans include:

green, leafy vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage and okra, but not spinach (spinach does contain high levels of calcium but the body cannot digest it all)
    fortified unsweetened soya, pea and oat drinks
    calcium-set tofu
    sesame seeds and tahini
    pulses
    brown and white bread (in the UK, calcium is added to white and brown flour by law)
    dried fruit, such as raisins, prunes, figs and dried apricots
    A 30g portion of dried fruit counts as 1 of your 5 A Day, but should be eaten at mealtimes, not as a snack between meals, to reduce the impact of sugar on teeth.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    This is on the UK NHS website re vegan calcium sources:

Calcium is needed to maintain healthy bones and teeth.

Non-vegans get most of their calcium from dairy foods (milk, cheese and yoghurt), but vegans can get it from other foods.

Good sources of calcium for vegans include:

green, leafy vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage and okra, but not spinach (spinach does contain high levels of calcium but the body cannot digest it all)
    fortified unsweetened soya, pea and oat drinks
    calcium-set tofu
    sesame seeds and tahini
    pulses
    brown and white bread (in the UK, calcium is added to white and brown flour by law)
    dried fruit, such as raisins, prunes, figs and dried apricots
    A 30g portion of dried fruit counts as 1 of your 5 A Day, but should be eaten at mealtimes, not as a snack between meals, to reduce the impact of sugar on teeth.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    This may not be a popular suggestion, but the brand of blackstrap molasses I use has 117mg of naturally-occurring calcium in a tablespoon (15ml), which is 60 calories. I think that would make it 195 mg per 100 kcal.

There's also (per tblsp/15 ml) 3 mg iron, 395mg potassium, 42mg magnesium.

But it's added sugar, of course - 11g of it. Me, I like my oatmeal a little sweeter than just the berries make it, so I'm happy to get those micros for only 60 calories, because this tastes good. This brand (Wholesome) is labeled as vegan (also organic, fair trade, non-GMO, kosher . . . ). I don't know whether other brands are vegan or not. I've found that various brands have different flavors; I like this one best of those I've tried.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Ha, you guessed right! I tried Blackstrap molasses a while ago and thought it was disgusting. The label additionally had a lead warning, which was a bit of a turnoff. That said, I know others like it and frequently use it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Ha, you guessed right! I tried Blackstrap molasses a while ago and thought it was disgusting. The label additionally had a lead warning, which was a bit of a turnoff. That said, I know others like it and frequently use it.

Some brands just taste burned or bitter, IME. I wouldn't eat those no matter the micros - life is too short to eat yucky things, with so many tasty things on offer in the world.
  • osmith1999
    osmith1999 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Soy products, edamame also have a substantial amount of calcium. We have to be careful with the calcium supplements because some research says that they can increase heart attack risk in some women.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @osmith1999 interesting regarding potential dangers of calcium supplements, I will read up on it!

I love edamame and should make them
    more often!