abibo1
abibo1 Posts: 22 Member
Starting on January 1st I weighed 178

Replies

• abibo1
    edited January 5
    Options
    Come on new friends, if you joined the group let’s get started. We need to post our current weight and anything else you want help with. 😃.
  • Sharsou
    Sharsou Posts: 8,849 Member
    Options
    64 kgs
  • pammyNNP
    pammyNNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am Pam. Nice to "meet" everyone. I am recommitting to losing weight and getting healthier. I lost quite a bit of weight a few years ago but bad habits have crept back in and I have regained almost 50 pounds of what I had lost. The challenges become harder as I get older it seems :)

Is there going to be a thread for scheduled weigh ins or maybe for recipes or things? More informal group? Just getting a feel for it :)

January 1st weigh in was 248.
  • abibo1
    Options
    Nice to meet you Pam
    My thoughts getting started here was there are lots of group chats with information that any one of us can read. What makes any weight loss company successful is that they give you the information you need and then you pay every week or month to be accountable for your weight loss or gain. So when someone asked for help with accountability that’s when I started this group. We have to be honest and post how we are doing daily or weekly.

• abibo1
    Options
    Within this group is “events” and that is where we all post our weigh in every Monday and what went on during the week to an our weight.

Pam, why are you struggling more the older you get? Is it metabolism, hormone changes or habits?
  • abibo1
    Options
    I’m very new to this so any suggestions are welcomed. However struggling with my weight is nothing new. 😂
  • pammyNNP
    Options
    abibo1 wrote: »
    Pam, why are you struggling more the older you get? Is it metabolism, hormone changes or habits?

Well, honestly probably all of the above. Definitely hormone changes and metabolism. Not to mention my likely higher than normal cortisol levels. I have thought about having them checked but I probably dont want to know :)
  • abibo1
    Options
    Well, honestly probably all of the above. Definitely hormone changes and metabolism. Not to mention my likely higher than normal cortisol levels. I have thought about having them checked but I probably dont want to know :)
    [/quote]

I’m right there with you. I’m 58 and experiencing the same thing. Some of my friends are taking medication or hormones for it and they feel better but they haven’t lost weight. So here we are and we need to work on our health without starving or feeling overwhelmed. I believe we can do this one step at a time. First maybe cutting out processed food and added sugar. Can you do that ?
  • pammyNNP
    Options
    I’m right there with you. I’m 58 and experiencing the same thing. Some of my friends are taking medication or hormones for it and they feel better but they haven’t lost weight. So here we are and we need to work on our health without starving or feeling overwhelmed. I believe we can do this one step at a time. First maybe cutting out processed food and added sugar. Can you do that ?

Processed food is what I am working on now. Trying to eat cleaner for sure. Added sugar I already don't do. My hectic work schedule has led me down a path of consuming more convenience foods. Its so easy to do. Trying to cook more and have things to be able to pack up and take to work. I know that I tend to be a grazer instead of a "sit down and eat three meals a day" kind of person so I am shopping for healthier alternatives for that. I think the trick is to find things we can do that we can keep up. One of my biggest mistakes has always been to go at it all hard to the wall at once and I just cant keep it up in the long run.
    I am disappointed that I gained back nearly 50 pounds of the 100 that I lost just by letting old habits slide back in. I am definitely hoping that doing what I can to keep myself mindful and accountable will help get me back on track to stay this time.
  • abibo1
    Options
    Pam. I totally understand everything you said. Whether it’s food or exercise when it’s not enjoyable, we can’t sustain it. I have noticed if I get some protein in the morning I am not starving all day. So eggs peanut butter or cottage cheese mid morning curbs my cravings . Taking a large water bottle to work helps. I fill it up and sip on it all day. Getting my morning vitamins helps. I believe part of our cravings are a lack of water or nutrients we need and we end up replacing it with food that we don’t really need. I have realised that I am a stress eater or when I am bored. I have decided I am going to find something to do when that happens like knitting. I am a multi tasker so I have gotten in the habit of eating while I watch TV. That is mindless eating that results in a lot of calories

One thing that I can’t do without is monk fruit. It is a great sweetener to replace sugar in everything. If you buy it, get the organic version with no added ingredients

I don’t know if you have a place at work like your own office or a kitchen where you can stock up on things you can grab. Can of chicken, cheese, peanut butter, veggies???

• pammyNNP
    Options
    One thing that I can’t do without is monk fruit. It is a great sweetener to replace sugar in everything. If you buy it, get the organic version with no added ingredients

I don’t know if you have a place at work like your own office or a kitchen where you can stock up on things you can grab. Can of chicken, cheese, peanut butter, veggies???

I actually do use monk fruit sweetener. Agreed it is pretty awesome. I dont have an office exactly...I do have a call room that I have the use of on the days I work. There is a refrigerator, microwave, etc in there but we cant all leave stuff all the time or there wont be enough room. I just have to take what I will use for the day. I do work 24 hour shifts so eating patterns are just all over the place on those days. There are no real structured meal times, so I think that is why I tend to just be a grazer whenever I have time to sit at my desk and work on some paperwork.

I like to do a bunch of hard cooked eggs at a time and take some. Those make a good quick protein snack. I take fruit and cheese as well. The cafeteria has a pretty great salad bar and I have been sticking to that for dinner and lunch when there.

I really need to get myself motivated to make it to the gym at least twice a week. That is a goal for this month I have set for myself.

Do you find setting mini goals works for you better than long term ones?
  • abibo1
    Options
    I think a person needs to see realistically where they want their body to be for life. Instead of setting a goal. Even daily if I don’t meet the goal then I’m disappointed in myself for not having control. So this time I have really decided that I’m not going to make excuses to myself why I needed to eat. Oh…. It’s a special occasion… oh I’m stressed…. Oh I’m hot and I need ice cream… oh I deserve this….. oh it’s just one day…. How many excuses can we make for not eating the right things ??? Our bodies don’t care what day it is. My attitude this year is…. I want to make it a new habit of eating good….. no excuses. And some days I really want chocolate and I know it’s because it releases endorphins and it makes me feel good. With everything and everyone in my life I am such a motivational
    person so I need to take my own advice . Sorry for the rant. 😂
  • abibo1
    Options
    With that said, my everyday goal is not to make excuses.
  • Jovanica
    Jovanica Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Starting 2024 a little late in the group but I started at 261lbs. Please keep these discussion boards going. I find them super helpful. I have a need to share to stay motivated and accountable, but I'm embarrassed to share with friends and fam. I will catch up on posting on the next board with my weight loss.
  • pammyNNP
    Options
    Jovanica wrote: »
    Starting 2024 a little late in the group but I started at 261lbs. Please keep these discussion boards going. I find them super helpful. I have a need to share to stay motivated and accountable, but I'm embarrassed to share with friends and fam. I will catch up on posting on the next board with my weight loss.

Always feel free to share here :) Friends and family are great, but only someone going through the same struggles really understand I think. I am sure you will do great!