Blood sugar over 100!

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I've never had a blood sugar over 100, so when I checked it this morning I was quite surprised to see 106. I'm bumping down the carbs to about about 30% of my intake and adding more walks. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Are you GD? How long had it been since you ate?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Are you GD? How long had it been since you ate?

my one hour glucose a few weeks ago was normal. This was a fasting glucose I had eaten dinner about 6pm and checked it at 5:30am.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    That's a long fasting interval, it's possible your liver kicked in to up the glucose in your blood stream if you were crashing. A one time high reading isn't cause for panic - the GD boards on babycenter talk a lot about finding your perfect fasting interval and perfect bed time snack to keep blood sugar stable. If you saw readings like that consistently it might be cause for worry but a one time reading could be a number of things - bad meter, fluke, stress, too long of fasting, a dinner that spiked your blood sugar ineffectively...I wouldn't adjust anything based on a sole reading, particularly when you passed your 1 hour screen.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that GD patients have stricter limits than traditional diabetics or non-diabetics (maybe goal is a better way to put it than limit):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-glucose-target-range/MY00494

So your reading - while higher than they'd like to see it - isn't really horrible.

If it were me, I'd probably retest for a few days in a row.

Also, one last thought - why are you BS testing if you passed the screen?
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Here is what I was able to find:

Time of blood sugar test Target blood sugar level
    Before eating Less than 95
    One hour after eating Less than 130
    Two hours after eating Less than 120

Most fasting windows are 12 hours. Try a 12 hour fast and see what your levels are. Maybe that pesky little 30 minutes screwed you up?
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Also, one last thought - why are you BS testing if you passed the screen?

Thank you for the help. The nurse practitioner wanted me to check it just because of my history with PCOS and insulin resistance. I was a bit more conscious of the food I was eating yesterday, took a light walk and this morning reading was 95.