June 2024 Walk

Options
Deeder522
Deeder522 Posts: 1,027 Member
I know normally, @texasgardnr usually gets us started but I'm starting a temporary June post until she gets the real one set up.

I'm not sure if I've settled on a theme for the month yet or not.

June 1: I did a mile with Leslie. By 1 Mile, I walked until my watch said 1 mile, not Leslie. I followed that up by a short arm weights routine.

June 2: Improved Health walk with stretching for 18 minutes.

Replies

• zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Good idea @deeder522 as @texasgardnr may not have internet service. The flooding down there was awful and I am not sure where she ended up in all of that chaos. Hopefully, she is OK although I am a bit worried I am not going to lie.

June Goal: Average 3 miles a day on the Garmin for 90 miles this month.
    June 1: Miles 2.1 Total Garmin Miles: 2.1

My hope with this goal is that if my miles are low, or I am have a sedentary day waiting a lot, I can do a workout to catch up the miles. That should be manageable in June even with all the limitations I may have.
    Thanks @deeder522. I cannot believe Dennis is actually going in for his knee replacement surgery after a year either. However, the delay, as painful as it has been, was a good thing because his heart valve replacement was more important for sure. His last echocardiogram shows his valve working just like it was new after a year so everyone is happy!!!
    @Irishewes Welcome and we are glad to have you!!! Start with an easy schedule as success makes it easier. We will support you even for 4 miles in a month as that is a lot when you first get started. next month-5 miles!!!! :laugh:
    Today, I am cleaning my deck and finishing the set up of my screen porch so Dennis can sit outside if he wants to and watch the hummingbirds. I think we have the home front ready for surgery-laundry is done, groceries are in for a week or two, bills are paid for 2 weeks, furniture is moved to accommodate a walker, and now, the deck is ready for fresh air relaxing. Hopefully, I have thought if it all!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    June Goals

Miles Tracked 85
    Apple Challenge: Walk or Run at least 2.61 miles, on 14 different days. That seems oddly specific.

Today I ran errands this morning, had a client pick up a machine, fed Ry, and did some more errands before lunch.
    I made poor dinner choices last night and I think I'm still paying for it. 😖 Tonight, I'm meeting a couple of girlfriends to play catch up.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I didn't sleep well last night and had to wake up early to hit the floor running. I've been running all day so I took a nice easy 1 mile walk around the farm tonight.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    10 minutes of strength training followed by 10 min walk.
    Back to work this afternoon and I have clients scheduled the rest of the week.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    It took a while to get motivated to work out today, but 1 Miracle Mile was enough for me today.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I'm taking a Rest day. I hope if you read this you get to enjoy the weekend.
  • zichab
    Options
    June 2: Miles 3.2 Total Garmin Miles: 5.3
    June 3 : Miles 1.5 Total Garmin Miles: 6.8
    June 4: Miles 1.6 Total Garmin Miles: 8.4
    June 5: Miles 2.7 Total Garmin Miles: 11.1
    June 6: Miles 2.4 Total Garmin Miles: 13.5
    June 7: Miles 2.6 Total Garmin Miles: 16.1
    Oh my gosh it has been a week!!! Surgery went well and MDs are shocked at Dennis' pain tolerance as he never reported it as more than a 4 on the 0-10 sale. They kept him for 2 days instead of 1 to be sure his stent and valve were unaffected by the meds he is taking (2 blood thinners to prevent clots). He came home Wednesday. He is totally off the oxycodone today and is now controlling his pain with just 3000 mgs of Tylenol/day. He is tired, but walking around the house every other hour with his walker and doing well. His only problem so far has been the constipation that comes with anesthesia, but he is over that now as well. Monday, we go to his first PT appointment. The only thing about all of this is that it is a lot more work for me than I expected. Taking care of a man is ... well ... interesting! :laugh:
    That Apple Walk Challenge does seem oddly specific. Basically they could just have said walk 2.5 miles every other day and it would have been like other challenges. There is probably some algorithm that came out like that.
    My weekend is not much different than this week has been, but hopefully, each one will get better now as Dennis should have a lot less pain. It is so odd to see his leg straight and his foot hitting flat on the floor. He has had those osteoarthritis bow legs for so long that I forgot how straight his legs have always been! We will actually be able to do things like hiking again and we are looking forward to it.
    I am very worried about @texasgardnr though. I hope she is OK and did not lose everything in the flooding down there. Have you PMd her at all?
    I should be checking in a bit more often now that we are through this. Have a great weekend! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I had a successful rest day and could bounce back this morning with a 20-minute Fast Walk.

I'm so happy to hear everything is going well for Dennis after surgery. I'm sure you're doing fine keeping up with everything, remember to give yourself a little grace.

I checked @texasgardnr's profile and she hasn't logged on since May 1st.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    June Goals
    Miles Tracked 27 / 85
    Apple Challenge: Walk or Run at least 2.61 miles, on 14 different days. 5 / 14

Took a couple of rest days, today included.
  • zichab
    Options
    June 8: Miles 2.2 Total Garmin Miles: 18.3
    June 9: Miles 3.3 Total Garmin Miles: 20.6
    June 10: Miles 2.5 Total Garmin Miles: 23.1
    Things are going well around here. Dennis has has 2 PT appointments and his new knee is bending and straightening exactly as it should. He is walking every hour and doing a series of exercises that even in one day made a huge difference. He had a Monday and Tuesday appointment and his next one is Friday. Getting him to and from these appointments is tricky. He cannot get into the truck (too high off the ground) even though the door is larger so we have to use the Vibe. He can't bend quite enough yet to get his leg in comfortably so he is always laying across the two seats with the stick shift in his back. It is funny to look at, but tough on him. His Physical Therapist says by next week, he should be able to get in no problem. YES!!! :laugh:
    He still requires a lot of care, but is getting his own breakfast and lunch and eating at the table which is HUGE! No more trays in bed and that has taken some of the work off me. It is still a lot of work changing beds, dressings, making ice and keeping his ice machine cold etc, but we are getting through it. For all I move in a day I am stunned my miles are so low. Hopefully as he improves, I will be able to get some energy back to do some workout walking.
    The funny thing is that I really pushed to set up the screen porch so Dennis could sit out there and watch the hummingbirds, squirrels, chipmunks and deer and listen to the loons and the lake swishing on the shore, but it has been too cold for him to be out there! The high has been in the upper 50s to low 60s which is a little chilly in the mountains. Meh at least it will be done when it get warmer! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    edited June 13
    Options
    Got off my schedule due to the need to run a bunch of errands each morning this week. My next best change is Saturday. Busy week for me.

We have our 1st 90's in the forecast for early next week. 🫠
  • zichab
    Options
    June 11: Miles 2.4 Total Garmin Miles: 25.5
    June 12: Miles 2.1 Total Garmin Miles: 27.6
    June 13: Miles 2.2 Total Garmin Miles: 29.8
    June 14: Miles 2.4 Total Garmin Miles: 32.2
    Well, I am 1/3 of the way to my goal and it took half the month! :laugh: I knew June was going to be strange for sure. Next week Dennis has PT M & Thursday, Surgeon follow-up for his knee on Tuesday and MD follow-up for his Taver heart valve on Friday. Because his valve follow-up is in Plattsburg at 10:30 (Meaning we would have to leave here by 8:30 and he is very stiff in the AM) we are going to go after his PT on Thursday, stay overnight in Plattsburg and go to his appointment from there. It'll just be easier for him. So far, July is looking much easier as he has his PT twice a week and a just one Cardio MD appointment in late July. We can use a break for sure!!!!
    It is so cold here that we have not been able to use our screen porch and now they say we are going to hit 94 next week then drop back into the mid-70s! It is hard to know what to wear every day! :blushing:
    Enjoy your busy week! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I'll lace up my walking shoes again, tomorrow. Friday I spent the day in Zalamazoo visiting my BFF who was in town for the UKC National dog show. It was nice to visit and see her in the ring 2x. I always need a day of recovery from the short trips. I'm so used to everything being the same day in and day out that when I get the chance for something different my body gets out of sorts. Today, I'll go see my Dad for a short bit and pick up his computer so we can upgrade him to a new machine.
    We've been issued extreme heat warnings for this week already for temps being into the 90's all week. Work schedule is light this week, but we have some weekend work coming up.

Happy Father's Day to Dennis.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    June Goals

Miles Tracked 44 / 85
    Apple Challenge: Walk or Run at least 2.61 miles, on 14 different days. 8 / 14

We're halfway through June and I'm just about on track with my goals.
    The heat is ridiculous! I got up this morning and it was already 75 at 8 AM. Our back porch reached 94. It's warm enough that I removed my rings so I don't cut off circulation because of heat swelling.
    I ran errands this morning but managed to combine work and a workout. 1 Mile WAH while I troubleshooted a printer. 🤣
  • Deeder522
    Options
    It was 75 when I woke up and 80 by the time I got out of bed and ready for my workout.

1 mile with Leslie and then 10 min arms from another program I saved on youtube.

Made breakfast in the toaster oven on the back porch, 3 small eggs from the neighbor and a couple slices of bacon.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    2500 steps with Improved Health this morning.
    I sprayed down the A/C unit to ensure it wasn't clogged up with junk so it could function the best it could with this heat. Looking forward to a break in the heat but that isn't supposed to happen until Saturday night.
  • zichab
    Options
    June 11: Miles 2.4 Total Garmin Miles: 25.5
    June 12: Miles 2.1 Total Garmin Miles: 27.6
    June 13: Miles 2.2 Total Garmin Miles: 29.8
    June 14: Miles 2.4 Total Garmin Miles: 32.2
    June 15: Miles 1.5 Total Garmin Miles: 33.7
    June 16: Miles 1.9 Total Garmin Miles: 35.6
    June 17: Miles 2.6 Total Garmin Miles: 38.2
    June 18: Miles 2.0 Total Garmin Miles: 40.2
    How do people live in the south????? This heat is so dreadful that it is hard to breath outside. My poor squirrels even look like they are dragging! :laugh: We are in the high 80s with 63-68% humidity. Our house stays cool in the woods and we have a dehumidifier to keep the humidity out, so we are comfortable, but grilling outside so we keep the heat out of the kitchen is rough!!
    The good news is that Dennis had his first post-surgery check up and he is doing really well!!! He has bruising all over his leg, but his MD says that will clear up when he is off the blood thinner. The blood is just pooling from laying down and keeping the leg straight. He took his last blood thinner today (he is on a baby aspirin every day for his heart and that thinner he will stay on) so that should start to clear up. He is off pain meds except when he goes to PT and he has an 85 degree bend in the knee, which makes every one super happy for only being 2 weeks out. His long term goal is 120 degrees but we'll take this for now. :smile:
    He has his 2 year check up for his heart valve on Friday and hopefully, that will be good news.
    Stay cool out there @deeder522!! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Today was a rest day for 2 reasons. An early morning dentist appointment and a surprise Massage this afternoon. Ryan wasn't feeling up to leaving the house with the heat so I took his appointment.

85%!!! That's amazing to hear! Dennis is bouncing back so quickly that you'll still be able to have a full Summer. :smile:

We've had a bunch of pop-up storms with this heat. Our power blipped last night but we held on. Fingers crossed we can hold on until Sunday morning. The next front should come through Saturday over night with "cooler" temperatures.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Yesterday, I did my morning workout with Improved Health's Low Impact Workout.
    Today, I did Burn Body Fat, 1 Mile with Leslie.

This afternoon was tied up with a baby shower 90 min south of me. Now I'm home and fed, and ready for a rest.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    June Goals
    Miles Tracked 65 / 85
    Apple Challenge: Walk or Run at least 2.61 miles, on 14 different days. 12 / 14

Back at it this morning after a rest day. 3000 steps with Improved Health.
    The heat broke after some rain went through Saturday night. We have more normal temperatures this week in the 70s/80's.