Week 3 Challenge

Options
Hi Guys! Before I get into the Week 3 Challenge, I wanted to take the time to thank all of you that have been thinking of me and posting comments regarding my move. Just a brief update, I am still waiting for the closing date :ohwell: and very busy getting all the furniture sold and out of the house. Basically my house is practically empty and we are waiting! It is so depressing!!! Again, thanks to you guys for sending me positive vibes!!! You guys are doing so great!!! I also wanted to get a video in this week..... BUT did not find time!!! I promise that the next challnge will be better!!!

OK..... so now off to the Week 3 Challenge:

Physical Challenge: Get OUT of your COMFORT zone!!! i know that this has been done oh so many times before...... but it is good to revisit this concept and try something new. Well, to be honest, it does not necessarlily need to be something NEW.... it just needs to be something that you need to FORCE yourself to do. And I promise you that after you do it, YOU will feel SOOOOOO accomplished!!! It is important to mix things up....physically and mentally!!! I am thinking of going for a jog at least 3 times this week!!! Definately OUT of my COMFORT zone!! I am a total GYM BUM!!! So getting outside is not normal for me!!!

Nutritional Challenge: Drink ONE FULL glass of water before EACH MEAL!!! :drinker: Many of you may already do this. It is a Bob Harper Skinny Rule. I used to do this in the past and it really helps!!!! So make sure you get the water in as soon as you wake up before breakfast, then before lunch and before dinner. Also try it before your snacks! :)

Also, if you guys have any healthy breakfast ideas.... please post recipes below!!! This is kind of a personal request, but I hope it will help someone else also. I have been struggling with breakfast ideas! Thanks!!!:flowerforyou:

I will everyone a Great Week 3!!!!!

Pam :love:

Replies

• IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love it! I have been trying to branch out again with my workouts. I added Spinning once a week and for this week's challenge I'm going to try yoga. My YMCA used to charge for these classes but starting this week they are free for members. There is an introductory class on Sunday I'm going to attend and will hopefully incorporate one yoga class a week into my regular routine. I'm excited to stretch and strengthen, especially since I started working out so much more this year!

I am definitely a slacker on water. If nothing else, the Back on Track Challenge has helped me fix that!

Breakfast is my FAVORITE MEAL OF THE DAY!!! I have a few recipes I'll post later. One of them was tested by Mimi and I know she liked it. :-)
  • neon7girl
    neon7girl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I need to add yoga or flexibility..i keep meaning to, but......yea, it gets pushed aside. Will work on the water before meals. I drink it all day long so that is easy to forget. Have a good week!
  • tleonhardt
    tleonhardt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Pam! I am impressed that you are going strong with such a full plate with moving, etc.! Swimming and yoga are both outside my comfort zone, so I will commit to swim laps at least once this week and do at least 1 yoga video tape session. One of my favorite breakfasts is an egg white omelette:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: with 6 Tb. egg white, a little spinach or basil, and just a tsp. of grated romano or parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of black pepper. Yum!
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes (from http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/heart-shaped-chocolate-chip-banana.html)

Heart-Shaped Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 2 pancakes • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts*
    Calories: 179.6 • Fat: 5.2 g • Protein: 5.9 g • Carb: 28.4 g • Fiber: 2.5 g • Sugar: 10 g
    Sodium: 572.1 mg

Ingredients:

1 cup unbleached white or white whole wheat flour (I did a blend of both)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 large banana, ripe, mashed well
    1 cup 1% milk (or almond milk)
    3 large egg whites
    2 tsp oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
    cooking spray

Directions:

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine milk, egg white, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas in another medium sized bowl and mix until smooth.

Combine wet ingredients with the dry and mix well with a wooden spoon until there are no more dry spots. Don't over-mix.

Heat a large skillet on medium-low heat. If you are using a heart shaped pancake mold, you will want to spray it lightly with cooking spray so the batter doesn't stick to it.

Lightly spray a skillet with cooking spray, place the mold on the hot skillet and pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter. Add 1 teaspoon of chocolate chips in each pancake. When the pancake starts to bubble and the edges begin to set, flip the pancakes. Repeat with the remainder of the batter.

Makes about 3 cups of batter which yields 12 pancakes.

A few notes:
    I measure out 1/4 cup batter per pancake and usually only end up with 10 pancakes. Also, you can freeze these and pop them in a toaster oven to reheat. I usually make a batch, freeze them, and eat them for breakfast throughout the week. One of my all time favorite recipes!
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Hash Brown Cups (from http://www.emilybites.com/2011/10/sausage-egg-cheese-hash-brown-cups.html)

Sausage, Egg & Cheese Hash Brown Cups
    Source: Emily Bites Original

Ingredients:
    20 oz shredded hash brown potatoes (I used Simply Potatoes brand which comes in a 20 oz refrigerated bag. If you use frozen potatoes, just make sure you let them thoroughly thaw first)
    2 T extra virgin olive oil
    1 ½ t salt (plus a little more to taste for the eggs)
    Black pepper, to taste
    4 chicken breakfast sausage links (I used Wegmans Fully Cooked Breakfast with Sage Chicken Sausage)
    6 large eggs
    4 egg whites
    6 T shredded 2% cheddar cheese

Directions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray
    2. In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Scoop the hash browns evenly into each of the muffin tins and then press the hash browns down into the cups and up the sides to form a well. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until edges are browned.
    3. Cut the sausages up into small bite sized pieces. Mist a skillet with cooking spray and brown the sausage pieces over medium-high heat.
    4. In another large bowl, combine the eggs and egg whites and whisk together until thoroughly beaten. Add a bit of salt & pepper to taste.
    5. Evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese and browned sausage pieces into each hash brown cup and then spoon the egg mixture into each hash brown cup as well. Place the cups back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until the eggs are set. To remove from tins, run a large spoon or butter knife along the edges of each muffins cup.

Yields 12 breakfast cups. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 3 per cup (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
    Nutrition Information per serving from myfitnesspal.com: 123 calories, 10 g carbs, 3 g fat, 7 g protein, 1 g fiber

LOVE these!!! I use frozen hash browns, completely thawed, and I squeeze out the extra water. I also use pre cooked Jimmy Dean turkey sausage links to eliminate the step of cooking the sausage. One of these plus some fruit and milk is the perfect breakfast!
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    Another favorite breakfast:

One Eggo waffle (low fat)
    1/2 sliced banana
    1 Tablespoon peanut butter

With a side of skim milk = heaven :heart:
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much exercise out of my comfort zone I'll be able to do this weekend. I'm in a tennis tournament and am in 3 events so I'll be very busy with that. But next week starting Monday i will try!
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I loved Jen's Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes! Yummy:tongue: Once I made a double batch and reheated them throughout the week and they were great.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to post on our challenge board much. I will explain more next week... some health issues going on and waiting to get the written report back. That being said, I might have to limit my exercise this week to walking. I will make sure to get that water in before meals and snacks.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have tried other overnight oats and didn't like them because they were made with Greek yogurt. This one I like a lot and you can really change out the fruits to whatever you have on hand and/or skip the chia seeds.

Skinny Overnight Oats in a Jar
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 1 • Serving Size: 1 jar • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 243 • Fat: 10.6 g • Carbs: 35.4 g • Fiber: 8.5 g • Protein: 6 g • Sugar: 12 g
    Sodium: 94.7 mg

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim, soy)
    1/4 medium banana, sliced (freeze the rest for smoothies!)
    1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup blueberries
    4-5 drops NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia (or your favorite sweetener)
    pinch cinnamon

for the topping:
    1 tbsp chopped pecans (or any nut)

Directions:

Place all the ingredient in a jar, shake, cover and refrigerate overnight. Add your favorite crunchy toppings such as nuts, granola, etc and enjoy the next day!
  • carrielynn62
    carrielynn62 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I will get my water in befor meals and snacks, and will try to eat as clean as I can. I am only able to walk this week doctors orders. I have a doctor appointment next thursday to find out what is going on with my heart velves. This may be why I have been so tired and why i'm having chest pain. I will do my best . I will also keep you all posted when I know whats going on.
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the health issues with some team members! Keep us posted and take care of yourselves!

Pam - hang tight with the move. I HATE HATE HATE it when my life is packed up in boxes and everything is in limbo. I can't imagine how much harder it is with kids! Good luck!

A couple of more breakfast ideas (I told you I love breakfast!):

I always eat these with a side of fruit and a glass of skim milk. I don't really like juice and the milk gives me some extra protein.

A few ideas:
    Toast one piece of low calorie bread, top it with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese and 2 cooked slices of center cut bacon (lower in fat than regular bacon and tastier than turkey bacon) = YUM!

Toast 1 mini wheat bagel, top with any flavor of light Laughing Cow cheese and 1 cooked Jennie-O turkey sausage patty

Toast 1 english muffin and top it with cheese and eggs or a breakfast meat
  • AZRunnerGirlinErie
    Options
    Great challenge! Never really thought about drinking water before a meal so I will start with that.

These are my Quick & Easy Breaksfast To Go meals (since I'm never really hungry in the morning or don't have time these work great)

Waffles with Peanut Butter:
    2 Frozen Flaxseed Waffles or Kashi Blueberry Waffles (2)
    2 Tbs Peanut Butter
    Just heat in the toaster and spread the peanut butter on and you're good to go.

Breakfast Smoothie:
    1 c. Vanilla Soy Milk
    1 Banana
    1 c. Frozen Fruit - no sugar added - all natural (I use Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, etc.)
    1 Tbs. Honey
    1 tsp. Ground Flax seed
    1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
    Put in blender/Ninja/Vitamix/hand blender and blend til smooth and creamy. (I use frozen fruit because it doesn't go bad and it keeps the smoothie thicker and colder)

Pam - Good luck with the move! I know that it is a very stressful time and living without your everyday comforts is not fun. Just remember that this too will end and sooner than later you will be in a new house with new adventures just around the corner :)
  • momofrugrats
    momofrugrats Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This challenge is great! I recently sigh up for an rope exercise class that begins on Thursday and that is soooo out of my comfort zone. I don't care for exercise classes because I feel awkward and uncoordinated but I will try. I signed up for 12 weeks so we will see. Drink water before each meal is a good challenge also.
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Pam! I am impressed that you are going strong with such a full plate with moving, etc.! Swimming and yoga are both outside my comfort zone, so I will commit to swim laps at least once this week and do at least 1 yoga video tape session. One of my favorite breakfasts is an egg white omelette:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: with 6 Tb. egg white, a little spinach or basil, and just a tsp. of grated romano or parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of black pepper. Yum!

Thank you!!! And that omelette sounds amazing! Will def try it out!! :)
  • fitmom_pam1976
    Options
    Another favorite breakfast:

One Eggo waffle (low fat)
    1/2 sliced banana
    1 Tablespoon peanut butter

With a side of skim milk = heaven :heart:

OMG Jen!!! Thank you sooooo much!!! I am loving all the breakfast ideas and recipes!!! I am so bad with breakfast! I am sure this will help!!! Keep up the great work and let me know how that Yoga class goes!! I would like to try one of those also!!
  • fitmom_pam1976
    Options
    I have tried other overnight oats and didn't like them because they were made with Greek yogurt. This one I like a lot and you can really change out the fruits to whatever you have on hand and/or skip the chia seeds.

Skinny Overnight Oats in a Jar
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 1 • Serving Size: 1 jar • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 243 • Fat: 10.6 g • Carbs: 35.4 g • Fiber: 8.5 g • Protein: 6 g • Sugar: 12 g
    Sodium: 94.7 mg

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim, soy)
    1/4 medium banana, sliced (freeze the rest for smoothies!)
    1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup blueberries
    4-5 drops NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia (or your favorite sweetener)
    pinch cinnamon

for the topping:
    1 tbsp chopped pecans (or any nut)

Directions:

Place all the ingredient in a jar, shake, cover and refrigerate overnight. Add your favorite crunchy toppings such as nuts, granola, etc and enjoy the next day!

Thanks for sharing this recipes Mary!!! i will def try this! I am praying that you feel better soon! Keep me posted :)
  • fitmom_pam1976
    Options
    I will get my water in befor meals and snacks, and will try to eat as clean as I can. I am only able to walk this week doctors orders. I have a doctor appointment next thursday to find out what is going on with my heart velves. This may be why I have been so tired and why i'm having chest pain. I will do my best . I will also keep you all posted when I know whats going on.

Carrie I am praying for you and hope you feel better soon!!! Please keep me posted! :)
  • fitmom_pam1976
    Options
    Great challenge! Never really thought about drinking water before a meal so I will start with that.

These are my Quick & Easy Breaksfast To Go meals (since I'm never really hungry in the morning or don't have time these work great)

Waffles with Peanut Butter:
    2 Frozen Flaxseed Waffles or Kashi Blueberry Waffles (2)
    2 Tbs Peanut Butter
    Just heat in the toaster and spread the peanut butter on and you're good to go.

Breakfast Smoothie:
    1 c. Vanilla Soy Milk
    1 Banana
    1 c. Frozen Fruit - no sugar added - all natural (I use Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, etc.)
    1 Tbs. Honey
    1 tsp. Ground Flax seed
    1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
    Put in blender/Ninja/Vitamix/hand blender and blend til smooth and creamy. (I use frozen fruit because it doesn't go bad and it keeps the smoothie thicker and colder)

Pam - Good luck with the move! I know that it is a very stressful time and living without your everyday comforts is not fun. Just remember that this too will end and sooner than later you will be in a new house with new adventures just around the corner :)

Thanks for the support and these super YUMMY breakfast ideas!!! :)
  • fitmom_pam1976
    Options
    This challenge is great! I recently sigh up for an rope exercise class that begins on Thursday and that is soooo out of my comfort zone. I don't care for exercise classes because I feel awkward and uncoordinated but I will try. I signed up for 12 weeks so we will see. Drink water before each meal is a good challenge also.

Rope Exercise??? That sounds so cool!!! Let me know how you like it!! :)
  • fitmom_pam1976
    Options
    Saturday 9/7:

OK..... so I went way out of my comfort zone today!!! :drinker:

I was scheduled to have a Boot Camp training today..... BUT my trainer overslept. So I had 2 choices (1) Go home and go back to sleep or (2) Go for a jog BY MYSELF!!! I chose number 2!!! I already mentioned before that I am NOT am outdoorsy type of person, so this was not an easy decision. BUT it felt great after I got my jog in!!! Thank you guys for pushing me to better myself everyday!! Hey, I am thinking that I will go for a jog tomorrow morning also!!! And I NEVER exercise on Sundays!!! :)

Also, I had my water before breakfast. Could not try out any of your yummy recipes yet because I have to go to the grocery store today :)