Roll Call ~ Thursday 9/12/24

manladdvm
manladdvm Posts: 8,964 Member
Mornin' gents.

Replies

• manladdvm
    manladdvm Posts: 8,964 Member
    Today DS#2 turns 34. Yikes. Me boys are approaching middle age.
    Sam, help me out here. Biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak may not look appetizing to the discerning eye, but if you smelled it with a blindfold on, I'm pretty sure your mouth would start watering. Tasting the flavors and textures is a whole next level kind of thing, if properly prepared.
    Training with a different group of trialers today. Will see how that goes.

Onward and downward ;-)
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 7,221 Member
    Good morning gentlemen.

I love a good plate of chicken-fried steak with creamy, savory gravy and mashed potatoes. There used to be a place in Copperas Cove, Texas that had killer CFS - and a classically brash server who called me "Hon." I've never found restaurant biscuits, on the other hand, which could hold a candle to those I bake myself. I do love them served with any sort of gravy leftover from the night before. Comfort food, all around. And I think it looks good, too. So there, Bill. Of course, my favorite Army breakfast was a mound of hashbrowns, topped with two over-easy eggs, then buried in hamburger gravy. Especially good at 4 a.m. just before you climb in the deuce-and-a-half and head for the field.

Rain yesterday - we needed it - and cool today. I hope to get some yard work done and maybe rough out a bowl or two.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,306 Member
    edited September 12
    Good morning!

I absolutely love good biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak. Yum! Connie, not so much, so we compromise and tend to go places like Bob Evans where there are choices. Lee, I have not been to the Glass Cat, but I've heard good things. It is very close to where I live. There are a "ton" of good places to eat at the Legend's Shopping area near the speedway.

I'm driving Connie to a doctor this morning that she has not been to before. It is a good 30 minute drive. I have a good book to take with me.

Our temps are approaching 90 again, but the humidity is much better. I'm hoping to get outside to do some work today. I didn't make it out there yesterday, but I did get a haircut, and I took my bride to Chili's for dinner. No, I didn't have chicken fried steak there, but I did have an awesome burger.

I'm having trouble letting certain things go. Yesterday I was fixated on ads I've been seeing for run the year. I have been calculating how I can step, or walk 2025 miles in 2025. I feel like I'd be better off not trying to push big goals like that, but simply enjoying exercise when I get it in. I'm going to have to beat this retirement thing into me, I'm afraid.

I am also using a driving safety tool that my insurance has available. It is forcing the Kansas City Missouri driving out of me, as Connie says. I get discounts for the better that I drive. Yesterday, I got a hard braking penalty for when I came to a fast stop when someone's chickens decided to cross the road right in front of me, and they stopped in the middle of the road! Dang birds cost me! I told Connie that from now on, I'm just plowing through them, and we'll have road kill for dinner! Sigh.... Same goes for kamikaze squirrels.

Have a great day!
  • LeonardRing
    LeonardRing Posts: 4,868 Member
    Good Morning,
    I can make a good pan of biscuits, a good chicken fried steak (cubed steak battered and fried) and gravy.
    I generally do not smother anything with gravy because I put gravy on rice and use biscuits to sop cane syrup. Now if cubed steak is still tough after additional cubing will put fried steak in gravy to simmer for tenderization. In morning some like sausage gravy on biscuits and when I was fixing breakfast at church many would come if I was cooking. I prefer redeye gravy with grits or tomato gravy on grits. What I do not understand is folks buying jarred gravy, grocery store has about a six-foot section of gravies. Bill may just never had good biscuits and gravy. Can't help deprived folks.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,154 Member
    Yes 9/11 was a day burned in to my memory. I was on heavy narcotics at home nursing my welded together broken back (fused t4-t7) when I saw the second plane come in live. A solemn remembrance for sure.
    Gosh I am smelling the biscuits, Chicken Fried Steak, and gravy thru my computer screen in Oregon.... OMG!!!
    Good luck for Connie and the new Doc today!! Gosh 90s???? hmmm don't think we will hit 80deg again this year let alone the 90s we had a few days ago. We are in the 70s and mid to upper 60s for day time highs now. got .25" of rain yesterday which is better than nothing.

Off to get flu and COVID shots today.
  • mikehikemike
    mikehikemike Posts: 3,578 Member
    Back from piano class. Hadn't practiced all week, what with the wedding and visiting with DD. Will work on the lesson for another week till I make it work.

Love biscuits, love gravy, but never had chicken fried steak. Don't think I've ever even seen it. Doesn't sound too heart/health friendly.

We are on a streak of clear dry weather "for the foreseeable future" according to the NWS. Have been reorganizing camping gear and looking at outdoor cookbooks. Would like to get up to the north woods while it's still fall. Northern Maine is the largest dark sky area east of the Mississippi. There's supposed to be a comet going by soon, and maybe a star will go nova, I have heard. Would be neat to see those.

I remember while 9/11 was happening, it struck me, in the face of such horror, that although there were a few terrorists who could kill so many, there were also hundreds who risked their lives to try and save the victims--firefighters, cops, the chaplain that stayed to support them. Always remember their sacrifice.