Roll Call ~ Monday 9/16/24

manladdvm
manladdvm Posts: 8,963 Member
Mornin' gents.

Running girls today. Memorial service on Saturday pushed trial to Sunday and Monday.
Watched the Amateur stake and judged the puppy stake yesterday. Got hot in New Hampshire. Got a nasty leg cramp last night, I assume from dehydration.
Supposed to be hot again today.
Brought some beefsteak heirlooms to motel owner/manager. She rewarded me with an small, fresh baked, apple muffin last night. She has apple trees. Its our yearly thing when I come to this trial.
Congrats on engagement, Mike!

Onward and downward ;-)

Replies

• shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,306 Member
    Good morning!

Lee, hoping that all goes well with the trials.

It has still been hot and dry in Kansas. I'm ready for some cool Autumn temps.

Have any of you experienced frozen shoulder? If so, what did you do? In the past, I went to a chiropractor, and massage therapist, but I have been trying to avoid that. I have not seen a chiropractor since May. I had been going to one since the early 80's. also trying to figure out how not to sleep on my left shoulder, but I struggle with that.

Have a great day!

• mikehikemike
    mikehikemike Posts: 3,577 Member
    Mornin' gents.

Condo maintenance guys are power washing the buildings today. Will bring in my plants from the balcony, although they're half dead anyway at this time of year. My morning glory vines never bloomed despite profuse foliage.

DS says wedding will probably be next fall, maybe on Cape Cod.

Another 80º day here, but diving to cooler temps and clouds later this week.

In deciding where to camp I'm leaning toward Flagstaff Lake in NW Maine where I've stayed 3 times before. There's a beach with a view of the 4000' mountain range across the water. The lake, the mountains and the land surrounding is a huge wilderness preserve. Might see hunters and an occasional boater, but last time a friend and I mostly had the whole beach for ourselves 10 days. Convenient too -- can drive there to within 100 yds, and a two mile drive on the dirt road takes you back to the main road and a few small stores if need be.

I still need to get planning food-- will start by sorting what I already have, then make a menu and shopping list. I hope I can be more calorie conscious this time. I really need to cut back and start losing some weight here. Very hard to track however, living at a campsite.

• DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 7,221 Member
    Good morning gentlemen.

No experience with such shoulder issues, Steve. From Johns Hopkins:

Frozen Shoulder
    A frozen shoulder is one that has become stuck and limited in movement.
    Frozen shoulder is often caused by inflammation of the capsule, tissue surrounding the shoulder joint.
    Diagnosing frozen shoulder requires a physical examination and possible X-rays or additional tests to rule out other causes of symptoms.
    Physical therapy and anti-inflammatory medication are usually prescribed to treat frozen shoulder.
    Surgery is not usually indicated to treat frozen shoulder unless non-operative treatments have failed to improve range of motion and decrease pain.

I don't see how a chiropractor would help, other than by lightening your wallet.

No hot weather out here. It's in the 40s this morning, heading for a high in the upper 60s. Hope to get in a bike ride before driving DW on a bunch of errands this afternoon. I have a walnut vase on the lathe I want to do some work on, too.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,306 Member
    Dave, I have had frozen shoulder before, and massage and PT helped. That was maybe 10 years ago, and now I have it again. I agree that chiropractor lightens wallet a bunch. That is why I am trying to avoid. I will do the exercises I know, and try not to sleep on it.
  • LeonardRing
    LeonardRing Posts: 4,868 Member
    Good Morning,
    With surgery they were clear that frozen shoulder was something I did not want, therefore I had to physically move arm several times daily to prevent. Do know a man whose shoulder was so bad he had to have surgery again to get shoulder unfrozen; my first surgery was bad enough. He claimed it hurt so would not do PT.
    Battery in smoke alarm started last night, was able to get down cannot get back up with left shoulder; DS will come by and fix.
    I know chiropractors I would trust with frozen shoulder, but I know more I would not.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,696 Member
    edited September 16
    Good Morning

An apple muffin is dancing in my head.

Steve, I had a significant problem this year with my shoulder which had a partial tear years ago that was resolved with PT vs surgery. Extremely painful, limited range of motion and such had me worried. My primary cared Doc examined it and convinced me to try a cortisone injection and rest this summer which I was reluctant to try. But it has come back to normal and I am sleeping fine, and moving things around etc. Perhaps an option?

3 intense days of moving activity has us pretty run down and achy. 2 large heavy dressers, bedside tables were maneuvered down the stairs, along with other bulky items and placed outside for pick up by the city. Mission style furniture is not petite. We set records for trips up and down the stairs. Today we will be taking it somewhat easy and doing small but necessary tasks like the Post Office to figure out our mail situation in transition. Temps plummeted yesterday and today and we have a 25% of minor moisture which likely won't happen. But it reminds us that in a month or two the rains will return. Then we will move to a place where the rain isn't such a stranger.