Why are you willing to try "Sober October"?

Walela617
Walela617 Posts: 542 Member
edited September 29 in Social Groups
Oops! I posted under "Announcements" instead of "Discussion", DUH! I will copy/paste here so people can participate! {Sorry about that - I'm me at this still!}

OK, HERE we go:

everyone, I've decided to try "Sober October" due to {ahem} "extensive testing in the field" leading me to the conclusion that drinking alcohol has been THE major roadblock to my wellness goals. My skin reacts very badly, I'm depressed, I get insomnia, I lose hope, I feel overwhelmed by life, my productivity is negatively impacted and my weight loss is thwarted. Though not a "chronic drinker", I have tended to "binge" weekly, which is very dangerous. Whenever I decline a drink, I'm often asked, "Ohhh, do you have a drinking problem?" To which I reply, "Oh, nooo...I have a STOPPING problem!" (In other words, since there's no "OFF" button, I can never have that first drink.) That's just the way it is and I accept that now. We're all different and everyone has their weaknesses. ("...and knowing that is half the battle." - 'GI Joe'!) 😉

I actually stopped the night of 9/25; so I will have had my first five days alcohol-FREE before my official "STOP" date of October 1st.

I invite anyone who's interested in trying at least 31 days 100% FREE of ALL alcohol beverage consumption to join me! I will record my starting weight and scale stats on October 1st and final challenge weight and stats on October 31st.

Please note: Weighing in is NOT a requirement for this challenge. You just need to check in day-to-day how you did for the current day and for the month so far. ("Catch-up" logs are fine and occasional lapses do not disqualify you in any way, since this is mainly a support group.)

Very best wishes to all!

💗 Carole

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,283 Member
    Hi! Count me in!
    I have a stopping problem too!
    I am now just telling myself just for today I won't drink. It can be overwhelming to know I really can't drink for the rest of my life.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,283 Member
    Here's my why?
    I have a compulsion towards alcohol. It's what I think about often. When I can I have a drink?
    Maybe I should cook something so I can have some wine? I can't drink until after yoga. In my mind, I'm always planning when I can finally drink. And if I can't drink, I get in a bad mood.

So, I am going to just not drink, not even one glass. One glass is never enough.
    I'm on an elevator that keeps going down and down when I drink.

I feel guilt and shame after I drink.
    I wake up at night lamenting why did I drink so much?
    I scheme and make rules about drinking.
    If no one is home, I think "Now I can drink without someone seeing."
    I lie about how much I drank. "I think it was just two glasses", but it was a whole bottle.
    I wake up thinking, "Oh God, I hope I don't feel horrible today at work."

It's exhausting to be addicted.
    It's better for me to just not have a drop.
  • middleagegirl
    middleagegirl Posts: 20 Member
    I'm in. I have no off switch and it's not good. Plus, alcohol is a huge inflammatory. We live in an area where wine is everywhere.
    All of our activities revolve around wineries on the weekends. It's hard to avoid it but I am going to try really hard.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,529 Member
    I have tried moderation for years. I kept hoping that it would work. I recently watched a Sober Powered YouTube about why moderation doesn't work. Honestly, she was telling my story. It just hit me right there. I cannot drink like a normal person and I never will be able to do that again. You can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber. Ever. It is actually a relief not trying to think about how to do it anymore. I had to release it. Day 7 AF.
  • MegHom
    MegHom Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you for starting! Need to set a better example & live up to kids fitness. Hope to get healthier all around through out the month & posting daily is a help.
  • SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 248 Member
    I have tried moderation for years. I kept hoping that it would work. I recently watched a Sober Powered YouTube about why moderation doesn't work. Honestly, she was telling my story. It just hit me right there. I cannot drink like a normal person and I never will be able to do that again. You can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber. Ever. It is actually a relief not trying to think about how to do it anymore. I had to release it. Day 7 AF.

I went to YouTube and typed in Sober Powered. It seems to be a women with many videos. It's hard for me to watch long videos (I have some vision problems and I guess I'm just a bit antsy). Do you remember what one in particular that really motivated you? I'm not good at moderation either.

Congratulations on 7 days AF!

• SunnyDays930
    @SurferGirl1982 Some of them are only 3 minutes long. When you click on them it will tell you how long it will be. I liked the one on brain fog and also one on why we can't drink in moderation. She has several on that topic.

The bottom line is you have to 100% commit and it is non negotiable. If I even leave a crack open like "I will TRY to moderate, I will fail. That's a hard truth for me.
  • SunnyDays930
    I called a younger friend yesterday that I have not talked to in quite a while, for her birthday. She used to lament that her mother (in her 60's) drank too much. When I asked how she was, she told me she now has liver cancer. I absolutely took this as a sign to stay resolute in my sobriety. Day 11 AF.
  • SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 248 Member
    Thanks @SunnyDays930 I will look into the videos. I hope they can help me too! Sorry to hear about your friends mother.