Lock, Load, and Release

Options
ATT949
ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
Thought I'd pass this along to you good folks…

http://www.runningtechniquetips.com/2013/09/observations-on-good-running-technique/

I bought the Kindle version of "Running Technique" by Brian Martin a while back and have found it to be a valuable source of information.

While reading (re-reading) a section of the book recently, it occurred to me that, while I've gained strength in my legs, I'm far from being strong enough to accomplish my running goals.

The problem I face is that to significantly increase my speed, I will need to change my running style so that I put my legs in a state of "tension" immediately prior to footstrike. I've tried running like that (or my interpretation of what he wrote) a few times and it sure ain't easy!

With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email newsletter that contained the link I've posted above.

The issue I'm discussing is in the paragraphs that discuss "high level of joint stiffness" and the para with "lock, load, and release".

The way that I interpret what Brian is saying is that I need to lock my knee and ankle joints immediately prior to impact. That allows the Achilles and the tendons in the feet to absorb energy which is used as a propulsive force on toe off. In the few times I've run like that, I've seen my pace drop by about 30 seconds but I've seen my HR climb so it's not a completely "free lunch".

My reason for posting this is to share some knowledge but there's a selfish component - I'd really appreciate comments on this aspect of running. Am I understanding the point Brian is trying to make? What about suggestions about learning how to do this correctly?

Thoughts? Comments?

PS - that's Brian in the yellow jersey, #783. As he writes in his book, he knew that he was doing lots of things wrong so he decided to do it right and he ended up writing a book about it!