9 days post op

Options
hello everyone! i just got sleeved on 8/28/13- i'm having issues keeping my meals in check. everywhere i'm seeing how people are having issues drinking more than 4 oz at a time, and just today i have 8 oz of soup! (granted, it took about 30 minutes to eat, but still!) am i doing myself harm, am i stretching my sleeve already? i just started this journey, and i'm terrified of failing :( help!

Replies

• vickidlovelace
    vickidlovelace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Liquids have a tendency to slide right down and will not stretch your sleeve...just keep sipping between meals to stay hydrated. This phase shall pass very quickly and you will be on to better things... Good Luck
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When it comes to liquid, each sleeve is different! For some people, liquids go straight down. And for others (like me) they fill you up just as solids do! I would say you are lucky you can get your liquids down, I struggled with it at the beginning and very nearly became dehydrated despite my best efforts.

The soup you are drinking.... are you referring to a clear broth or a creamy type of soup? I would stay away from having 8 oz of the creamy stuff, because it has a lot of hidden calories in it. Right now you are probably fine, but it is a bad habit to get into (kinda like how you wouldnt drink milkshakes even though your sleeve would handle it) this early out.

Good luck! You seem to be doing really well :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    30 minutes to get 8 ounces of liquid down is not bad. Making sure your soup is protein infused is a must as is getting all your water in. As for stretching your sleeve, talk to your doctor about it. I had that fear as well until my doctor explained he removed all the stretchy part of the stomach, that it would loosen up a bit with time, but I wouldn't be able to stretch it out again. Huge relief! I am 2 years out now and if I overeat at all, I will lose whatever is too much for my tummy. It's rare because I'm anal about sticking to calorie and protein goals and weigh/measure for accurate portion sizes. And of course I know what it feels like when I'm full. But again, talk to your doctor because there is more than one way to do this surgery and I would assume not every doctor takes all the stretchy part away.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It will get easier each day to get the required amount in. I was so concerned about it. When I spoke with my surgeon at my one week appointment about my lack of getting in the required protein and liquids, he told me he didn't expect me to walk out of surgery being able to get the required amounts in. By three weeks I was able to do it most days. You will get there. Just think about where you were at day 1 post op to where you are at day 9. It is a work in progress. Don't fret about it and listen to your body. Unflavored protein is the best thing I found, You can add it to anything, even jello or pudding. But remember, unflavored does not mean no flavor so you may need to experiment a little to find what your tastebuds like. Also Unury has a chicken soup flavored protein powder - just add hot water.