Is this cramp?

Options
bonjour24
bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
Hi all.
I was running an 18km run as part of my half training in 3 weeks time. I've been running for a few years- done 7 halves and 2 fulls. But yesterday I had discomfort in my legs that I've never felt before.
I was fine for the first 13kms or so then my legs started to ache a bit, as they sometimes do. But then it started to become quite uncomfortable and I had to start taking walking breaks (something I don't usually do). The pain started at the top of my calves (just below my knee on the back of my leg) and up my hamstrings on both legs. I could also feel my hammies getting tighter and tighter with each step I took, and for the last km I had to walk and couldn't even straighten my legs. It was painful- but a horrible achey pain and not a sharp or acute pain. I nearly cried.
I did stretch when this started to happen, but it didn't make any difference when I got going again.
So, has anyone else had this before. I don't think it's cramp. Is it just what tight hammies feels like? And what can I do to stop it happening again. because it sucked.

thanks mfpeeps.

Replies

• prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same thing a couple of runs ago, I put it down to a cramp, it happened 9 miles in on a 10 miles run when I had been extremely stupid and had not drunk my water before I set out on a warm morning, I was sore for 48 hours but was able to run again after 2 days, no problems since. Good luck I hope your injury is not serious either.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen too. Cramps in both calves, happened at the start of a recovery run for me, had to hobble back to my office.

It was dehydration. I ran 10 miles in the morning the day before the run in question and spent that entire afternoon at a pool on the beach in 88 degree weather and only drank a cup of water. The next day I had my usual 2 cups of coffee before my recovery run but no water. My legs ceased up on me.

I rested the rest of that day and the next, properly hydrated and I was fine for my next run.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Happened to me today. Dehydration proven by dark pee. And I thought I was doing good with the aid stations!
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It could be myosotis- basically muscle breakdown. Bilateral pain would make this more likely. Be cautious and seek medical care if you have truly dark brown urine and bilateral muscle pain- the breakdown products from myositis can cause kidney damage. Supplements and statins can increase the risk. Definitely concentrate on hydration and see a doctor if it lasts.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    thanks guys.

i thought i'd been good as far as hydration goes, but thinking back i could have been better. i had enough water on the morning of the run, but was prob a bit slack the day before. I can still feel tightness and soreness in both of my hammies now. My run started off so well, too. O well, live and learn eh!