Anyone want to try an elimination diet with me?

Options
katatak1
katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
Hey guys,

So HS is suspected as being autoimmune, however we know certain foods make it worse (e.g. nightshades). Everyone's body chemistry is different though, and intolerances to certain foods could be exacerbating our problem. Next week, I'm going to try an elimination diet. It takes a long time, but it could identify my food triggers and help me determine what is making my HS worse. The basic premise is to eat a diet that basically no one is allergic to for 3-4 weeks and then slowly add in potentially allergic/intolerant foods such as legumes, dairy, and nightshades. You monitor your symptoms and identify those which you have a reaction to. Does anyone else want to try this with me?

Replies

• underthecherrytree
    Options
    How are you doing so far?
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Kat,

You know I'm all for the elimination diet... but for me, trying to eliminate one food, or one group of foods, was too painstakingly long. I had much better luck with a Whole30 approach... drop many, many many foods for 30 days and then slowly add them back one at a time to see if that particular food affects you.

Read "It Starts With Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. Excellent book.

Of course, if you're hell-bent on doing it the long way, I applaud you!!!!! You are taking the right steps to your body's health! I am here always if you have any questions whatsoever.

I have proved to myself over and over (by eating bad foods!) that dietary measures work! I am clear... then I decide "oh, that's okay, I'll eat this thing here..." and then I break out... then I have to take weeks to heal again through diet. Worse almost than the aliens and the pain is the hardship of getting my brain off of gluten and processed foods... once I get those into my bloodstream my body doesn't want to give them up and it's almost like a drug addiction.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Peg
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Tara Grant's book is now published and available in hardcover and Kindle format. "The Hidden Plague"

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Plague-Tara-Grant-ebook/dp/B00H2V9ZLU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386590984&sr=1-1&keywords=the+hidden+plague

I haven't read it yet but I have it on my Christmas list... so I have to wait until after Christmas before I buy it for myself - just in case.

Tara is going to be giving away 5 copies of this book in the Hidradenitis Suppurativa Warriors group on facebook... you should join the group and also HS - The Diet connection.

Here are the links: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/637959829582807/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/hsandglutenfree/
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hi, been a while since I was here, but had a bit of success.

I've not had a flare up since I stopped eating or drinking anything with aspartame in it!!!!

Thought it was a fluke so ate a weight watchers yoghurt and the next day, low and behold, a minor flare up began. I thought it was exercise aggravating it, but then realised when I exercise I drink more diet coke, which contains aspartame.

I avoid anything now labelled as sugar free or low sugar and been eighteen months since last episode ( if you don't include the weight watchers yoghurt which was deliberate).

Anyway, works for me so thought you might like to give it a go, after all, nothing to lose!
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Primal since the beginning of January, so no wheat, legumes, refined sugar, or processed frankenfoods (still eating dairy, limited raw sugars like honey, occasional potatoes, rice, and rare instances of corn). I'm still having minor flares (specifically two cysts beginning of last week and one very small one this morning which are the first since changing up the diet). I suspect either nightshades or dairy to be my triggers. Really leaning toward raw tomatoes/potatoes at this point, but more experimentation will need to be implemented first. Either way, eating Primal/paleo has reduced flares, severity, and healing/recovery time dramatically, even though I am have never been more severe than stage 1. After I finally figure out what my trigger food(s) are, I won't be eating those ever again. I'll also be focusing on healing and sealing my gut as much as possible since HS seems to be an autoimmune disease, most of which are connected to a leaky gut. I hate this.