Just started SL- Question

Options
kyleekay10
kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
Hi all!

I just started Stronglifts yesterday. Granted I didn't use barbells (my gym was jam packed... I made due with a press machine and dumbbells) but I plan to use barbells moving forward. Just had a couple of questions, because I go to Planet Fitness. *insert collective sigh here* :wink:

I can do barbell squats and rows, and I know I can use the smith machine for bench presses for now. However, I'm concerned about Workout B and deadlifts. No deadlifting allowed at planet fitness. What can I possibly do as an alternate for that?

In a month, switching gyms MIGHT be an option. But for now, I'm not in the right place financially for that. I'm going through a divorce, have 2 dogs, and I'm working on paying off debt.

So any suggestions in case switching gyms isn't a possibility? Thanks.

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    A gym that doesn't allow deadlifting :grumble:

I'd be looking to switch gyms when you can. Using a smith machine is not a good idea (so I have been told).

I'm lucky that I can do my lifting at home. Found all my weights and squat rack at garage sales.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yep, you've outgrown your gym. Good-bye exercise, hello training!

Look for your next gym carefully and ask questions -- some gyms do not allow chalk, for example. You don't want to be a member in one of those.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Can you deadlift with dumbbells at a planet fitness? I mean, do it, and if someone asks, just say you are picking them up for your next set. Granted you can't go super heavy with the dumbbells, but you can make it look like you are doing something other than deadlifts until you can get yourself to a gym that lets you do real deadlifts.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Can you deadlift with dumbbells at a planet fitness? I mean, do it, and if someone asks, just say you are picking them up for your next set. Granted you can't go super heavy with the dumbbells, but you can make it look like you are doing something other than deadlifts until you can get yourself to a gym that lets you do real deadlifts.

That might be something I have to try.

I will be looking for a new gym, as soon as I'm financially able.

Also RE: chalk- is chalk absolutely necessary when lifting?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

That might be something I have to try.

I will be looking for a new gym, as soon as I'm financially able.

Also RE: chalk- is chalk absolutely necessary when lifting?

Chalk helps your hands form calluses that aren't painful. It dries the skin out so it doesn't fold and blister the way the skin on your palms normally does. It also helps your grip without increasing the diameter of whatever you are grabbing. Since your ability to do deadlifts with dumbbells will be limited by the grip strength of each hand, chalk probably won't be an issue until you change gyms anyway. My recollection from working with dumbbells is that handle diameter is not as big as that of an Olympic barbell.