What have i done?

Options
So i have been running a bit over a year. Did my first 5k in October 2012 first half in April this year. From now until Dec 15 2013 I have a race every weekend with the exception of Nov 3! 3 half marathons, a 10 miler, a 10 k, some 8 ks (I think 3) and some 5ks. Training has been going good, luckily no injuries strains or sprains. Only have ran on treadmill a few times other than speed work on Thursdays this past month due to storms or random crazy event that prevented me from running with hubby. Hubby is also registered for all these races and my almost 16yo son for a couple of them. All my workers and friends think I am absolutely nuts.

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You're a runner, so you're already nuts by default :tongue:
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Choose 2 or 3 of these races that you're really serious about. My coach makes me categorize races as "A" and "B" races. I save everything I have for the "A" races. You don't want to go all out at every one when they are so close together or you're asking for injury. That, or you'll spend weekdays recovering and your training will suffer.

I know they're super fun and it's awesome how much enthusiasm you have! Just run them wisely so you can keep getting better :D
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Oh I have no problem running slow if my body deems it necessary! If i'm not feeling it physically or mentally then welp I just shuffle along! I will post my results as they come in.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You're a runner, so you're already nuts by default :tongue:

^ Yep. Being called crazy by everyone you know is a rite of passage for a Runner. Congrats :smile:
  • rayvynn5374
    Options
    Well this weekend wasn't a PR . I finished in 2:07:54 legs are still hurting. I sat in hot tub, used the stick and took motrin. Going to sit in hot tub again and put my happy face on!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Well this weekend wasn't a PR . I finished in 2:07:54 legs are still hurting. I sat in hot tub, used the stick and took motrin. Going to sit in hot tub again and put my happy face on!

I wouldn't suggest the hot tub for recovery. Your muscles are inflamed and the heat only makes them worse. If you want to soak in anything, it should be an ice bath. Not as fun, but it will help your recovery.
  • rayvynn5374
    Options
    I have tried the ice bath(not this time around) and i had major leg cramps during and a couple hours afterwards, scared to try it again. Might need a xanax to try that again. Yeah it was that bad! I would rather child birth again, and i did that without meds!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Did you start with room temperature water and add the ice after you were already submerged?
  • rayvynn5374
    Options
    haha no filled tub with ice water and sat down as quick as possible! I will say today i am much better! Can navigate the stairs upright!!!!!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I started soaking in our new hot tub for 20 minutes after cooling down from each of my training runs. Granted I am only running 6 - 8 miles every other day or so but I have to say that I have found this experience to be outstanding! And now I stretch more because of being able to do my post-run stretching in the soothing warm water. 20 minutes and I am a new person all together - beats 15 minutes with my feet and ankles in an ice water bath any day of the week..... Enjoy
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with Carson on the ice bath. I get into an empty tub, run cold water until i feel comfortable then start adding bags of ice. Works great for me.

And all the racing...i think it depends if you are always trying to PR everything, or just doing some as fun runs. I raced too hard last year and it was not a good thing for me. This year i havespaced out 4 races that progress in distance up to the Houston marathon, leaving myself plenty of time between each race for recovery and training.