NEED INFORMATION ON METFORMIN!!!!! HELP!!!!

Options
I have a question, I was wondering if any women with PCOS out there have lost weight, changed their diet, and managed to concieve without using metformin?? I really would like to go the natural route if I can but I know that miscarriage from what I have read can be reduced in you are on metformin when you get pregnant. Any stories out there or experience with this? Just wondering if anyone has suggestions of what I can do, or maybe what you did, rather natural way or medicine or both lol. Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• junoja
    junoja Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Short answer is yes.
    Long answer: I had been battling symptoms of PCOS since I was 14 but never heard the diagnosis until after I was 27 (around when we started trying for a baby). We moved several states away and I got my records from my doctor and read thru them. I had been seeing her for 3-4 years. She had notes all over the place about my PCOS symptoms but never mentioned the cause of the symptoms to me. I did a lot of research about PCOS and was unable to find a doctor who would allow me to try metformin.

We went thru several rounds of infertility tests and drugs (which made me cray-cray!) before deciding to leave it in God's hands. We started the process of adoption, I lost 20-30 pounds and found out 6 weeks before we went to Ukraine to adopt my oldest son - that I was pregnant.
    It was a high risk pregnancy and I was hospitalized once and on bed rest for 3+ months before my son was born. But he was a healthy 9# baby. Worth everything!
    After I had my son, my new doctor asked me to try metformin. I was on it for several (5+) years. I honestly never noticed much improvement. I have been off of it now for a few years and never plan to restart it. Really think that once I lose the rest of this excess weight - my symptoms will resolve themselves.

Good luck to you!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Though I am on metformin right now I am slowly trying to lower my dosage to be able to control my symptoms naturally also. I am hoping to conceive naturally in the process of losing weight. I am on a very low carb diet (ketogenic) and it is the only thing that has worked for me to be able to lose weight. It is slow going but going none the less.

Now from the research I have done, losing even 10% of your body weight will start to regulate your cycle and start you ovulating. Many women from what I have read, will conceive by surprise when they are simply focusing on losing weight. So the short answer is yes. Metformin is supposed to make it easier to lose weight and to start your cycle again but it is possible to do the same thing just by losing weight in the first place.

Good luck!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I managed to concieve without meformin twice after losing weight. However, I lost the first baby. After reading and discussing with my NP after the miscarriage and with this second pregnancy as soon as I knew I was pregnant I went on a low dose of glucophage 500mg. So far I'm 24 weeks, and I credit that retention to the metformin increasing my insulin sensitivity. As I progress later in the term I have noticed my once normal blood sugars have begun to climb.

My OB wants me to continue on my metformin along with diet to hopefully prevent gestational diabetes.

Of course talk to your healthcare provider, but it's something worth discussing and considering. The research with pregnancy and metformin is pretty sound.
  • powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Been on Metformin for years. I haven't lost weight... or gotten pregnant. I am frustrated with it. But it helps others so why not just try.
  • Thank you all so much!!!! :) I am thinking about it and I do think I may try metformin. I don't know, the worst part of this for me has been the infertility. Worst time EVER!!!! For real, we may just adopt. I just want a child at the end of the day! I still got ten more pounds to lose and I will be at my ideal weight . I do feel great about that, fit into some old clothes! Yay!!!! I just want to be healthy, anyway thank you. I am so glad I found this group on here :)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The first time (six years ago) I conceived with nothing but it took a year. This time, it took a year and a half. I had no cycles whatsoever until I went on Metformin, even with losing weight. I stayed on the Metformin through the first trimester. FYI: miscarriage rates for women with PCOS are extremely high. The study I saw said 40% without Metformin and 8% with Metformin (that is pretty much a normal miscarriage rate). For me, that was the deciding factor.
  • Ok well noted. Looks like metformin may lessed the miscarriage so I will spk to the doc about that and going ahead and starting that. Thanks so much for you facts :)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to ask! I didn't know about the miscarriage risk until later so I try to let people know - not to be a Debbie Downer, just because I hate to see someone go through what most of us have to go through to get pregnant and then lose the baby. Best of luck to you!