Exercises no-nos? First trimester

Options
Are there any exercises that should not be done or modified during the first trimester?
(No problems with morning sickness, regular pregnancym etc.)

I know later on crunches are a problem but planks are okay, does that hold true for the first trimester also?

Replies

• momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i did crunches using The 30 day shred till about halfway thru my first trimester and then i switched to a prenatal exercise DVD called Body by Trimester by Joy Southworth where I did crunches on a stability ball and planks as well. In the 2nd trimester workouts there are no crunches, only planks, pushups and things like that. So as far as i know crunches are fine in the first trimester but not after that.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I didn't change anything the first trimester besides watching my heart rate during cardio. I had to scale back my pace running because it would go above 170 and I felt like that was too much, so I kept it under 165.

I never really did crunches, but did boat pose until a couple of weeks ago (I am 35 weeks) and am still planking often. I actually increased some of my weights in the third trimester and am still going mostly full steam ahead. Enjoy the activity. I really do think it has made this pregnancy a pretty easy one compared to my last!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 1st trimester & have scaled back on my strength training & no more HIIT. just for the simple fact that my last baby was a preemie & I was on bed rest the whole time. I certainly can't do that again with an active 3 year old! No nausea or a ton of fatigue yet. I do low impact cardio, strength training with 5lb weights, Pilates, & yoga for 30mins/day. Seems like enough for me.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think you're ok to do what you've been doing all along. For me, I haven't went running yet just because I feel nauseous a lot. However, I'm feeling pretty good this morning, so I may run 4.5k at lunch.