Carb Loading

Options
derekj222
derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
I read this article about marathon mistakes: http://beta.active.com/running/Articles/10-Mistakes-to-Avoid-at-Your-Next-Marathon.htm?cmp=291&memberid=149050306&lyrisid=42272417&email=derekj222@gmail.com

It suggest carb loading 72 hours before a marathon, so essentially 3 days out before the race. I have the Erie Marathon this Sunday and May was my first marathon. I did focus the day before on carbs, but that was it. This article suggest we eat 4g of carbs per body weights those 3 days before to build up glycogen. I weigh 178 x 4 = 712g carbs a day...which is A LOT!

Typically I eat about 300 a day right now at 50% of my macros...Does this seem like too much? I'm definitely going to eat a ton Friday and Saturday.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I eat about 300 a day as well, and on my longer runs I didn't eat much different, certainly not 600 like the 4 per lb recommended for my weight. I played around with loading for my HM back in June and I had all I could do to keep 450 down without feeling like a landmonster, however, the next morning I was very energized. I think I did 450ish only on Saturday for my full (no loading prior), and I had plenty in the tank at the end. And 1/4 of that was a big pecan roll from Panera Bread.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like the sounds of a giant pecan roll from Panera.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I read this article about marathon mistakes: http://beta.active.com/running/Articles/10-Mistakes-to-Avoid-at-Your-Next-Marathon.htm?cmp=291&memberid=149050306&lyrisid=42272417&email=derekj222@gmail.com

It suggest carb loading 72 hours before a marathon, so essentially 3 days out before the race. I have the Erie Marathon this Sunday and May was my first marathon. I did focus the day before on carbs, but that was it. This article suggest we eat 4g of carbs per body weights those 3 days before to build up glycogen. I weigh 178 x 4 = 712g carbs a day...which is A LOT!

Typically I eat about 300 a day right now at 50% of my macros...Does this seem like too much? I'm definitely going to eat a ton Friday and Saturday.

About 30 years ago, I've did a 20.2 mile race*, didn't carbo load, and Ididn't bonk. That event fits into my hazy understanding from the 1970's and 80's that people would "hit the wall" around the 20 mile mark. After that, the runner would have to gut it out for the last 10k.

Fast forward to today - why try to carbo load (which may well not get you much past the wall) when you can pop an energy gel?

*It was also the day I decided that I should quit smoking!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Never had carb loaded. I practice what is known as nutrient timing and don't worry about carbs in excess as a runner.