Advise on how to deal with postpartum depression

Options
Hi,

I gave birth to my second son almost 5 months ago. I was happy, busy and losing weight with the support of MFP. 2 months ago, work started to get busy and I was starting to get stressed about all the things I need to accomplish. I stopped going on to MFP. I started emotional eating, gaining wait, and slowly feeling depressed.

I constantly felt exhausted and hard to breath. I had trouble focusing on any tasks. I would cry and get mad easily. Finally, my husband started to mention the word "depression" to me. I went back to work 1 week after my son was born. I always considered myself "ambitious" and "optimistic". But, the past 2 months has been the darkest time of my life. For some reason, I could not get myself out of the dark side. Thoughts of killing myself jumped out couple of times. But then, I know it is only my hormone talking.

Recently, I hired some help to take care of my child. I am still trying deal with my emotions every single day.

I am hoping that I could share my feelings with all the moms on the board. I would appreciate any advise to help battle the postpartum depression.

PS. I really hope I do not need to see a therapist. I just do not think I would have the time for it. Any prescription is an absolute no for me.

Replies

• momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should seek professional help. Postpartum depression is no joke and usually needs intervention. Hope you get the help u need.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I agree that seeing a therapist isn't a bad idea (they won't necessarily recommend medication). Having help at home I think will make a huge difference. Having a baby and being at home is incredibly lonely and isolating. Having another adult in the house and being able to focus on work (and talking to other adults) helps! Then you can really enjoy your baby because you may have missed him while you were in "work mode."

The biggest thing I was afraid to do the first time was reach out for help. I felt like I was a failure as a mother if I didn't do everything myself. I now know that was so not true! Having help in any way relieves you of the burden of trying to do it all. You're only one person, and you can't be everything to everyone all the time. None of us can!

I hope you start feeling better soon. Please keep us posted!
  • TheJamLady
    TheJamLady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor or public health nurse/ community nurse. They can help you identify if it IS depression and what treatment options are. I struggled lots when my first was born and in hind sight wish I'd sought out help. It's worth it to take care of you. If you know there are some options that just won't work, be actively involved by saying so, so that you can find something that will help and work well for you.
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you're not keen to try meds or therapy I would suggest some form of exercise, it's what kept my PPD under control (I went through PPD with both my daughters for a good 9-12 months PP)

Prior to being pregnant I used to exercise very regularly, PP that obviously became almost impossible, so once their sleep schedules settled down (I was very lucky in that respect), I would sacrifice some sleep and go for a walk for 30 mins in the morning, then the walk became runs, and now I run regularly and find that my moods go to pot if I don't. When they hit their wonder weeks or illnesses and don't sleep through the night then I would try go onto youtube and find some sort of short exercise i can do (fitness blender is fabulous), even 10 mins does wonders.

I think the exercise not only energises you and makes you healthy, but it gives you that all important personal time, which most mothers would agree are sorely lacking in their lives.

Failing this, like other mums, I think therapy and/or meds might be worth investigating. In hindsight I wish I did go and seek help, it would have saved (I think) a lot of unnecessary heartache.

Thoughts are with you.... hang in there!
    KWKY
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to why prescriptions are out of the question?
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are going through this, ppd is tough. I just joined a ppd group and it has been very helpful if you're opposed to individual therapy, try group therapy. My group lets your bring your child (or not) and provides child care.
    There's also phone support if you can't make the group. All group leaders and phone counselors are women who have had ppd and who have gone through what you're going through.
  • daytolive
    daytolive Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    PPD is a SERIOUS SERIOUS thing. I had a severe case of the baby blues with my first born. Not feeling that i wanted to hurt him or myself but just sad,anti social and isolated. It lasted over a year and finally I decided to see a therapist. It was the BEST thing I could do for myself and my family. I wasn't prescribed any meds,but if my therapist thought I needed them,you better believe I would take it. When hormones get the best of you,you are NOT in control,they are. Please take the time for yourself and find a therapist you like. You may need to take a low dose of something,for a little while to take the edge off or at least put you in a better state. Trust me,I am very anti-medication,but with this type of thing,sometimes it doesn't go away on it's own.

This is supposed to be the most wonderful,amazing time in your life,and it's passing you by because you're not enjoying it.
    Not to mention,your baby needs a healthy and happy mama,because he too will pick up on your frustrations or sadness.

The fact that you can come forth and say you are depressed and are having these feelings is a good sign! Most people don't even realize they have PPD. I didn't...until I was out of the fog... which could've been a lot sooner.

There's nothing wrong with getting a little help and talking about things. It gives you some alone time and that is very important.

Definitely keep us posted! Xo
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to make sure you're doing ok.