Daily Calories

kg6885
kg6885 Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble getting started. MFP had me initially at approximately 2700 calories per day, but I thought that seemed a little high. I realize that everyone is different, but I'm wondering if there was a number that worked for any of you guys? Thanks!

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    You're right in that it is different for everyone.
    My stats:
    I'm 6'3 , large frame
    just a smidge under 300 lbs at the moment.
    I workout, weights and cardio, 4-5x a week 1-2 hrs and going by my Polar HRM I burn between 500-1200 calories depending on what I do.

Aside from the exercise I do, I am sedentary the rest of the day including at my job. I recently had my Resting Metabolic Rate tested and I found out that I burn 2536 calories a day just by doing nothing. Going by these recent testing results, I am going to set my calories to 2600 and will eat about 1/2 my calories that I burn through exercise back.

A good calculator to use is: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    I found that MFP tends to be on the low end. Granted, the bigger we are and more that we have to lose, the larger the deficit we can get away with, but you don't want to go too low.