Cardio / bulk up / restrict diet how do you lose weight?

Options
gothomson
gothomson Posts: 215 Member
Hi Folks,

A bit about me: I'm 52, 4 stone over weight (success so far is I lost a stone over the last year), and demotivated. I know what I need to do: lose weight, but how?

I don't mean the obvious i.e. exercise, cut back on fat / calories. I get that, but in what way? There is so much advice out there from cardio only to bulk up on muscle and cardio, to short intensive workouts to you cant go on. but what really works?

I want to do something like: 20 minutes a day (two rest days) but i dont want to get too 4 weeks down the line and find out I've been wasting my time and effort.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Gordon

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi Gordon.
    A small calorie deficit plus a mix of cardio and strength exercise is best IMO.

Cardio for CV health & fitness (plus it earns you extra calories to make a deficit easier to maintain).
    Strength training to preserve as much as your muscle as possible while you are in deficit.

Apart from the health benefits exercise also gives you different ways to measure your success apart from purely fixating on your weight. But remember the exercise has also got to be enjoyable or you will quickly get bored. No point telling you to do twenty minutes of HIIT if you are going to hate it and stop.
    What do you like? Or used to like?

I can't run (knees...) but I love cycling, I can't to the classic barbell compound lifts (knees, back....) but there's still plenty I can do so I'm constantly mixing it up and challenging myself.

The other thing to consider is your non-exercise activity. Stairs instead of lifts, walk/cycle instead of car journeys, less sitting down and more moving around....
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Majority of my exercise came only from walking (1-2hours per day) at first, then only recently I've added an Elliptical trainer too, I haven't done any 'strength training', but too have heard all the "musts" for it.

I've seen quite a few places that say weight loss is "80% Diet, 20% Exercise", so the biggest factor is what exactly goes into your body IMO. (Not too much alcohol either :wink:)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Reiterating strength training, plus cardio, plus caloric deficit.

Just a little of each, with the intention to increase exercise intensity and duration over the coming months. Strength training becomes even more important with age.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Excellent Ideas and good to hear from someone who actually does it and works around issues like bad knees. I'll have to think of what I used to enjoy and get back into that.
  • paulyoung1703
    paulyoung1703 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I too have injuries that prevent certain types of exercise (no running, cycling). I eat a small deficit ~10% and train 5 days per week with a mix of strength and cardio.

Strength Training (3 days p/w):
    Deadlifts, Dumbell Rows, Bench Press, Squats, Pull Downs, Leg Raises
    ... followed by 30min swim

Cardio (2 days p/w):
    1 hour swim

I also play a bit golf 1 to 3 times per week.

It's working well. It helps to get a routine going, so it just becomes part of your normal week.
  • themumbler86
    Options
    I think you have to tailor it to what suits you!

I'd love to do more strength training but as I live in a small room in a shared house & can't currently afford the gym that's not practical for me... so I'm getting my cardio in through walking as well as long shifts at a nightclub & relying on calorie control for the rest. It's not the ideal in some ways but you have to work around your own life!!

Definitely think looking for hobbies & sports you'll enjoy is key though... my dad lost over 6 stone from modest calorie control, a strict 30 mins of exercise every day, and taking up hiking on the weekends. Because he enjoyed it it wasn't a chore so he didn't 'cheat'.