No Power, No water...now what?!? 9/13/13

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/prepare-for-extreme-weather-by-stockpiling-supplies-and-planning-for-outages/2013/09/09/1eb3794c-06aa-11e3-88d6-d5795fab4637_story.html?wpisrc=nl_health

I thought this was worthy because we all should prepare for safety and first aid and what to do in a disaster. But it got me to thinking...what foods do I want to have on hand in a disaster? All junk foods? Of course, most of the foods are canned and packaged and it can be easy to pick high sugar and sodium items but yet we STILL have a choice on what we will eat!! YOU can still pick now while not in a disaster the best choices for health and energy!
All I know is peanut butter will be high on my list!!! LOL!

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    Interesting... it's kinda weird seeing this type of thing now because this is a standard for me annually, living in Florida, every April-May I start checking my hurricane kit for expired items that need to be replaced and start replacing things and checking my water bottles for leaks in my supply or that are a couple years old and replacing them. Every fall I look for items in my kit that are not expired but will expire within the next 6 months and I will donate those to the food banks (I check them for signs of damage and bulging before donating) since I know they will be used before they expire.
    I keep almond butter (since I'm allergic to peanut butter), GF granola bars, canned soup, low sodium canned veggies and beans, canned fruit that is canned in either it's own juice or water (they make these now for people who need low sugar items), applesauce (single serving packs) and if a storm is emminent I will make sure I get some extra apples and oranges since they can last several days without refrigeration (I'll eat this first then turn to the canned fruit), of course make sure you have some packaged snack stuff because you're already in a stressful situation that small candy bar or cookie can really make a difference!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I choose to be the first person bitten to become a zombie. That way I'll have an endless food supply of brains.

From multiple hurricane experience:

Bottled Water
    Dry goods
    Canned goods
    Portable propane stove
    BBQ Grill with gas or charcoal (USE ONLY OUTSIDE)
    Ice, fill your freezer with ice beforehand if you can.
    Eat your frozen and refrigerated food within the first day or two. (Optimize for what will go bad first)
    Batteries
    Portable radio or some sort. Some smart phones can double as a radio.
    A $5-10 first aid kit will work just as well as a $500 first aid kit.
    The NUMBER ONE place where power is restored will be the grid your local hospital is on. If a hospital loses power people die. Due to proximity, the burger king and grocery store across the street will have power as well.
    Get cash and gas BEFORE you lose power. Gas will run out and ATMs will be down.
    Fill your bathtubs and/or buckets with water.

If you're smart, your car can double as an electrical charging station for small appliances like cell phones, portable radios, laptops, and in extreme circumstances and the right adapter, toaster ovens.

Extension cables can be awesome if your neighbor across the street has power and you don't. Yes, this happens.

Tricks with portable generators:
    - Install a "hard start kit" to your air conditioner's outside unit and your generator may have the juice to run your A/C unit. The biggest problem with any electrical circuit is the startup. Your A/C is probably your second biggest initial draw, after your washer and dryer.
    - They're cheap in the winter. If you're going to buy one do it then. They'll have good sales trying to get rid of them.
    - Spend the time getting your generator connected to your circuit breaker. You can slowly turn a few things on, like your A/C and Fridge. I wouldn't suggest running much more. If you're in over a week you could probably disconnect the fridge and A/C to run your washer/dryer for a bit.
    - Run your A/C outside. Gas is toxic and WILL KILL YOU! Even if you use it in your garage.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I love the show DoomsDay Preppers. It can be down right silly at times but has some great self-sustainability ideas.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    The culture of that show really freaks me out. Yes, they'll survive many situations, but they're awfully close to crazy.