Low carb in pregnancy with a TMI alert

Options
So I love carbs...in fact, I could eat nothing but carbs all day, every day and be very happy. I normally have no issues with grains, gluten or dairy but my body has been high jacked by a little alien girl and I am having issues with yeast....TMI, I know. I’m sorry. This also happened with my last baby.....who is also a little girl, who happens to be very dramatic. Wonder if there is a correlation? Lord help me!

So, I go to the doctor today and they finally prescribe a treatment regime for me other than OTC. She gives me the cream plus a side of oral troches...yay! She then she goes on to make several suggestions on how to kill this yeast and keep it gone: Cut out all sugar (I died a little inside when she said that), eat a lower carb/yeast free diet similar to paleo/primal, eat live-cultured veggies such as sauerkraut/kim chi or unsweetened PLAIN live culture yogurt, consume lots of coconut oil and then she also referred me to an expensive high end probiotic that comes right to your front door in a refrigerated pack.

Have any of you had this issue???? If so, has any of this worked for you? I am not what constitutes a “low carb diet” as she wasn’t specific but from what I’m googling, it looks to be about 150 carbs or less. I mean, I’m not trying to do Adkins basically. I am heartbroken. How am I going to live without my beloved carbs for the next 3.5 months? UGH!!!!

Any paleo/primal mamas on here?

Replies

• kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Thrush infections in pregnancy are common, we've all had them and are due to changes in hormones. Live yoghurt can help (doesn't have to be plain, just live) - you can eat it or apply it. Acidophilus bifidus capsules can help aswell. Cutting yeast in your diet isn't gonna help much in my opinion. Thousands of marmite lovers the world over don't suffer with permanent yeast infections! Don't think it's the same sort of yeast, just the same scientific family. You can't do much to change your hormones right now, but eat healthily, lots of fresh fruit and veg, use the cream and wash often to avoid build up in the irritating bacteria. Hopefully in a few days it'll be gone. If you can continue to eat a live yoghurt everyday it might help to stave off the bacteria to avoid it coming back.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar, probiotics and garlic can help restore balance naturally. I have had very good results and even eradicated group b strep without meds!
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i take probiotics every day and i find it helps ward off yeast. I try not to use medication whenever i can since it causes you to build up resistance and use something natural instead. good luck!
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Paleo all the way here and have had this as my lifestyle for the past year and a half or so (:

Edited to add this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/54-primal-paleo-support-group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/455-primal-paleo-challenges
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/621-the-primal-life-tips-from-the-cave

A couple of my FAVORITE paleo websites to find recipes:
    www.theclothesmakethegirl.com
    www.fastpaleo.com
    www.everydaypaleo.com
    www.nomnompaleo.com
    www.chowstalker.com
    www.paleoplan.com
    www.civilizedcavemancooking.com

And, of course, a couple of my FAVORITE paleo cookbooks that I'm obsessed with:
    Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat (www.theclothesmakethegirl.com 's recipe book -- I LOVE Mel and her cooking)
    Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
    Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments/suggestions!