sick of running....??

Saree1902
Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
Hopefully I am asking this question in the right forum…I know many of you are die-hard running fans!:laugh:

I’ve just done my 3rd half-marathon of the year and my main thought has been “thank God that’s all over”! I really resented the last month of training – nearly every run I did was “because I had to”. I also struggled to enjoy a lot of the race.

This may have been partly due to me giving blood 4 weeks before and not recovering too well…at least 3 of my training runs were a lot harder than usual.

I’ve also been trying to get faster, but not really managing, so it may also be a case of beating myself up for not measuring up to an arbitrary number in my head…!

Has anyone ever got to the point where running has become a chore? How do you get past it and get the running mojo back??

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Are you eating enough to stay fueled? You might also simply need a break. 3 halves in 9 months is a lot of running. :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I’ve also been trying to get faster, but not really managing...

Tell me more about this part.

What have you been doing to get faster?
    How are you measuring your progress?

The answers to these questions will provide a lot of insight into why you are in the state of mind that you are in.
  • Saree1902
    Usually I've been setting a pace for my long (9-11miles) run (10:30/mile for example) and trying to stick to it, then getting disappointed with myself when I've been nearer 11 or 11:30.

I'm measuring my progress by checking my average pace after each run and I've been stagnant at 10-11minute miles for most of the year. For shorter runs (3-4miles), I can get down to 9:30-10minute miles but that is a real push. Plus my shorter runs during the week seem to have been getting slower...partly because I've moved from morning running to running home from work with a backpack.

Fuel-wise, I'm probably not eating as healthily as I could at the moment! No worries on quantities though...I can eat for Britain! :embarassed:
  • CarsonRuns
    Okay, I see where the issue lies.

We should never judge our progress by our training runs, but only by our race performances.

In order to get faster at every race distance, you have to build your aerobic base. You do this by doing lots of easy running (think 70% to 85% of Max HR). There is no additional benefit to being at 85% rather than 70%. The opposite is true. If you are running slower so that your HR is around 70% of max, then you will, theoretically, be running for a longer period of time, thereby gaining more fitness.

So, on those long runs, if you are running 11:00 miles and it's at a conversational pace, then that workout is serving the correct purpose. Those arbitrary time goals are a good way to make yourself hate running. You can't force a pace. You have to let the pace find you.

As for being stagnate for a year on your easy run pace, let me share my experience with you. When I started working with a coach about 5 years ago, my easy run pace ranged from 8:45 to 10:00 miles, usually falling around 9:30. At that time, my HM PR was 1:38. In those 5 years, I've dropped by HM PR by 10 minutes to 1:28. Do you know what my easy run pace is now, 5 years later having gotten so much faster? Now, my easy run pace ranged from 8:45 to 10:00 miles, usually falling around 9:30.

So you see, you doing have to run fast to get faster. Run easy, conversational pace runs most of the time. Some other times, run a little faster. Add on more time/distance when you can, be consistent and you will love to run and you'll see results.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    I'm with you on this...I love running...or did. I've got a marathon coming up in less than four weeks and, although I'm excited for the race, I've actually grown to hate the long runs. I haven't been able to get up to the 20-miler I'd planned (had three opportunities with next week being my final chance). I just want to be done with the marathon so I can scale back my running and get back into lifting heavy.

These emotions tend to ebb and flow. You'll get your running mojo back at some point when you're lest expecting it.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    It's very common this happen. For me always come like a phase, a week maybe two with lack of confidence and motivation to run. But I keep running despite that kind of feeling. One thing that always motivates me, a race... any race, any distance, the preparation to the competition have a great impact on me! But this race can't be in more than 3 months,if so, I get tired to prepare myself lol.

About your Training Schedule, like Carson wisely said , if you wanna be faster You need to run faster in your training, invest in intervals (2k...1k...especially ), tempo runs. And run more often in a pace that you could easily talk to a friend, drop you heart rate.

I don't like but, run listening some music would be good for you also.
  • CarsonRuns
    About your Training Schedule, like Carson wisely said , if you wanna be faster You need to run faster in your training, invest in intervals (2k...1k...especially ), tempo runs. And run more often in a pace that you could easily talk to a friend, drop you heart rate.

I had a typo. It should have read: "You don't have to run faster to run faster". 85% or more of the mileage should be done at an easy, conversational pace and mileage should be built slowly over time. That is what is going to improve your aerobic base. It's okay to run a little faster sometimes (well, because running fast(er) is fun), but in the grand scheme, this probably doesn't need to be for more than 20 minutes a week and around Lactic Threshold, which for the OP is probably about 10K pace.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    So, on those long runs, if you are running 11:00 miles and it's at a conversational pace, then that workout is serving the correct purpose. Those arbitrary time goals are a good way to make yourself hate running. You can't force a pace. You have to let the pace find you.

This.

I used to feel like I needed to have my training pace be quick, and that my training runs needed to cover more and more distance in the same amount of time or I was failing to improve. After reading Carson's advice a few months ago, I started doing my training runs at a conversational pace, between a 9:30-10:30 min/mi pace for me, for time and miles, but not simultaneously. Did it help? Immensely.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    OK, so the issue of your pace has been addressed. Still, you need to find the joy in running. Joy doesn't only come from improving your pace.

Remember why you're running. Are you doing it win marathons, lose weight, get fit, relieve stress...etc? Always keep this is mind and check whether running is really doing this for you.

Where are you running? Some places I run are depressing. Like, when I run in town and have to keep stopping at lights and stop signs...i lose momentum and start hating it. When I run a trail that is dog friendly and my dog can come along off leash....we have a BLAST! I could run all day like this and I swear, I'm grinning ear to ear. Find your happy running places and do you training there.

The time of day and your mood at that time is really important. You mentioned you switched your schedule. I like running after work - it relieves the stress I had all day and I know I don't have to be done by a certain time to go somewhere. If I ran in the morning, i would feel pressured to be up by a certain time, dressed by a certain time and finish my run by a certain time...even if I hit a good stride and I'm loving it and want to get 3 more miles in - nope too bad, have to go to work. That would bum me out. This is why I run at night with no time constraints.

And finally...when I don't feel like running and feel kind of blue, I can't just tell myself to go do it. I spend about half an hour preparing myself to get in the mood for it. I blast music and (don't hate on me for this) have an energy drink (eeep). This gets me pumped! You need to find your own pep routine.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    The other thing is make sure to build recovery weeks into your plan. Most people focus on the physical benefit of recovery weeks, but the mental aspect is sometimes the most important.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I have gotten sick of running a few times, usually following periods of overtraining where I was running too much and too fast all the time.

My solution was to quit. The result was that I got out of shape, fat, and unhealthy.

Then after a couple of years of being unhappy looking at myself in the mirror I started running again, and had to start all over from nothing.

Don't follow my example.

If you need a mental break then cut back to 3 times a week of running as you feel and add some sort of crosstraining on the other days.

That's enough to maintain fitness for life but your desire to perform will probably come back and then you will be in a good place to build without having to start all over.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member

I had a typo. It should have read: "You don't have to run faster to run faster". 85% or more of the mileage should be done at an easy, conversational pace and mileage should be built slowly over time. That is what is going to improve your aerobic base. It's okay to run a little faster sometimes (well, because running fast(er) is fun), but in the grand scheme, this probably doesn't need to be for more than 20 minutes a week and around Lactic Threshold, which for the OP is probably about 10K pace.

Sure! Like you said, 85%( For me, 70% is a good number) of mileage should be at comfortable pace. But we need to run fast to improve our body and get used to the new effort.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member

Where are you running? Some places I run are depressing. Like, when I run in town and have to keep stopping at lights and stop signs...i lose momentum and start hating it. When I run a trail that is dog friendly and my dog can come along off leash....we have a BLAST! I could run all day like this and I swear, I'm grinning ear to ear. Find your happy running places and do you training there.

THis. I actually have a shirt that says "Happy pace, happy place." For me this is a big part of why I love to run. It is my time to be stressfree. Even in the middle of an intense training cycle, I run because there is joy in it for me. So figure out if tinkering with something (the where) might help. I LOVE trail running and try to do at least once or twice a month. It is my time to charge my soul. The rest of the time I am stuck running loops around my house like a deranged hamster.
  • CarsonRuns

Sure! Like you said, 85%( For me, 70% is a good number) of mileage should be at comfortable pace. But we need to run fast to improve our body and get used to the new effort.

Yes and no. There is an appropriate time and place for any speed work. A new(ish) runner can make significant gains by only increasing the volume of running and not the intensity. During base phase, I (and many other Lydiard disciples) believe that only a tiny bit of LT work with some strides is necessary. Once the foundation is in place, then adding more intensity is appropriate, but that intensity must be specific to the race that is being trained for, must be consistent with the athletes overall ability, must be within a range that their current fitness prescribes and shouldn't last for longer than a period of about 6 weeks (as you reach the point of diminishing returns in about this amount of time) and should immediately be followed by a race or races.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115 Member
    OK, so the issue of your pace has been addressed. Still, you need to find the joy in running. Joy doesn't only come from improving your pace.

Remember why you're running. Are you doing it win marathons, lose weight, get fit, relieve stress...etc? Always keep this is mind and check whether running is really doing this for you.

The time of day and your mood at that time is really important. You mentioned you switched your schedule. I like running after work - it relieves the stress I had all day and I know I don't have to be done by a certain time to go somewhere. If I ran in the morning, i would feel pressured to be up by a certain time, dressed by a certain time and finish my run by a certain time...even if I hit a good stride and I'm loving it and want to get 3 more miles in - nope too bad, have to go to work. That would bum me out. This is why I run at night with no time constraints.

And finally...when I don't feel like running and feel kind of blue, I can't just tell myself to go do it. I spend about half an hour preparing myself to get in the mood for it. I blast music and (don't hate on me for this) have an energy drink (eeep). This gets me pumped! You need to find your own pep routine.

All of this ^^ and also what Carson has suggested as well. A suggestion I would like to add is maybe take time off running and just maintain with a few days per week in the 45-60 minute range, when you FEEL like it, no routine, no schedule, just to keep basic fitness up. On the side of that, pick up a heavy lifting routine or another type of exercise activity that you can make progress doing, to keep that motivational groove going. Then when you feel ready to come back to running full time again, you'll be stronger and better off for it. I usually take December-February off to do some different cross training, lifting, indoor HIIT etc for a change of pace when the severe dead of winter weather has me hibernating more.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Okay, I see where the issue lies.

We should never judge our progress by our training runs, but only by our race performances.

In order to get faster at every race distance, you have to build your aerobic base. You do this by doing lots of easy running (think 70% to 85% of Max HR). There is no additional benefit to being at 85% rather than 70%. The opposite is true. If you are running slower so that your HR is around 70% of max, then you will, theoretically, be running for a longer period of time, thereby gaining more fitness.

As for being stagnate for a year on your easy run pace, let me share my experience with you. When I started working with a coach about 5 years ago, my easy run pace ranged from 8:45 to 10:00 miles, usually falling around 9:30. At that time, my HM PR was 1:38. In those 5 years, I've dropped by HM PR by 10 minutes to 1:28. Do you know what my easy run pace is now, 5 years later having gotten so much faster? Now, my easy run pace ranged from 8:45 to 10:00 miles, usually falling around 9:30.

So you see, you doing have to run fast to get faster. Run easy, conversational pace runs most of the time. Some other times, run a little faster. Add on more time/distance when you can, be consistent and you will love to run and you'll see results.

Thank you so much for this.

I've been back to running for 12 weeks after a 4 month layoff. Last week was the last week of a physical therapist prescribed 12 week program to ease me back into it. I'm not even close to where I was at this time last year and it's frustrating.

The reminder that my Saturday runs aren't a race is very helpful.
  • Saree1902
    First of all, thank you all so much for all the input! :bigsmile:
    I have gotten sick of running a few times, usually following periods of overtraining where I was running too much and too fast all the time.

My solution was to quit. The result was that I got out of shape, fat, and unhealthy.
    This is what I’m afraid of…hence asking the question!
    Those arbitrary time goals are a good way to make yourself hate running.
    That is exactly what has been happening – I’ve been trying to keep to 10-10:30min miles and hating every minute of nearly every run!

I’d never really looked at it like this…! I’ll stop bashing myself for plodding on long runs, then!

Couple of light-bulb moments here – I cast my mind back to my favourite training routes and there’s a riverside park which always makes me smile…while the industrial estate is pure torture! Plus if I can get to the sea, I’m a very happy runner indeed, and I tend to ignore the watch and just plod along quite merrily.

As for why I started running…originally it was because I was an unfit, obese smoker who drank far too much! I started running as it was the simplest and cheapest way to get healthier. As I ran more (2 minutes non-stop…then 3!), it made sense to ditch the cigarettes and excessive quantities of alcohol, which then enabled me to get better at running (4 minutes…5 minutes!) I then started to see what I could be capable of and built to 10 minutes running, then 5km, 10km, then half marathons and (so far) 1 marathon. This has taken me 7 years in total!

Lately, my running has been geared to whatever race I’ve signed up for, as I’m not 100% sure I’d get my backside out the door without an incentive…

I think that I’ll go for a nice, slow 5-6mile jog this weekend along my favourite riverside path…let’s see if that brings back the mojo!

Thanks again everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • I've been fighting with this for the past few weeks. My first 26.2 is coming up on 10/06 and I'm in the midst of the long run weeks. I'm so competitive with myself that I have a tough time letting myself run "easy" - I feel if I'm not at 8min/miles with every run, then I'm not pushing it enough.

Today I had an 11 that I went out for, with a different attitude. It's sunny and cool here in central Mass, beautiful day and I decided not to worry about pushing the pace at all, just enjoy the weather, quiet time, and mind calming that got me into running in the first place. Best run I've had in weeks.

In closing - I'd say this Carson fellow knows what he's talking about. Best of luck.