Unexplained rapid weight gain?

Options
Sixel
Sixel Posts: 57 Member
I'm at 14 weeks. After having lost some during my first trimester, I've found my love for food again. I've been making fairly healthy choices and tracking my food, eating at maintenance.

In the past two weeks my weight has gone up rapidly (about 5lbs).

Anyone else experiencing/having experienced this early 2nd trimester?

Replies

• kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Each child has their growth spurts at different times during the pregnancy, though mums seem to gain the most during the second trimester. Your weight gain may also be explained by an expanding bust, laying down fat stores for feeding or water retention. Track your weight, but don't compare one week to the next, try and look at it on the whole and you will notice fluctuations week to week, sometimes day to day. Perhaps read through the How Much Weight Have You Gained? thread and you will see enormous variations in when and how much weight people put on, but it also gives you an idea of variations of normal depending on starting weight and expected weight gain.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy I gained rapidly once my nausea went away (granted mine was at 36w, but yeah). My midwife and I figured it was a combo of water weight being restored (plus maybe a little extra than normal? I can't remember how well I ate then but it was definitely not as well as now!), food being back in my system (which does add weight when you haven't really been able to eat for a while) and some actual weight gain.

YMMV but unless that pace keeps up I probably wouldn't worry (as much as it's hard not to worry over the numbers on the scale). Weight gain is not linear in many pregnancies and will go in fits and spurts. The lapses will make you cheer and the big gains will make you sad, but it will balance out in all likelihood. As long as you're not binging on junk and are eating well and staying active, your body is just going to do what it's going to do.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for those comforting words! I did check out the thread and saw some variations, though only a few gained as much so early.

I'll try not to worry about the numbers on the scale but will keep a close watch. Looking forward to the lapses that will make me cheer. :-)