How to Navigate a Horrible Day

Options
You should know that this day started off horribly for me. I assist my daughter two days a week by caring for her 4 month old so she can keep her job at a wonderful preschool which he will be able to attend at no cost next year. After a very demanding day yesterday which had me on the go from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. I went to bed last night exhausted and totally forgot about being at her house for the babysitting. The ringing phone with her wanting to know where I was woke me from a deep sleep. I quickly dressed and got to the preschool to get him, as she had to take him to work with her until I got there.

Once I had him, I stopped by the nearby McDonald's for a blueberry pomegranate smoothie for my breakfast. He had fallen to sleep, so I drove around while I drank this as he sleeps so well in the car and his sleep had been disturbed by having to go to work with his mother. I then came back to her house as per usual, only the door locked and me with no key to get in. He had no extra diapers, no clothes to change into (he was still in his jammies, but thankfully with a dry diaper still). After chilling in the yard, under shade, enjoying the lovely morning, the heat began to increase and he became fussy.

She breastfeeds, so I take him to her for a mid-day nurse. It was still a little early to take him to her to eat, but I got in the backseat with him and put him in his carseat, but it was warm, so I decided to wait to buckle him in until I started the car. As I was in the passenger side back, I moved to the passenger's side front to start the car and get the air conditioning going planning to return to the backseat to fasten his car seat once the car was running, only somehow I pressed the lock button which is on the key and locked the baby in the car with the car running and my phone on the front seat and no access to the house. Fortunately a wonderful neighbor was home and quickly called a locksmith which was at some location far out of reach. She then called the police who came quickly and were so kind. They were able to get in the car with no damage and Micah and I were at the preschool at the appointed time for him to nurse. Through this all both the baby and I remained calm.

Later after his momma had him, I had to face the beaureaucracy of the Department of Human Services in dealing with a Medicaid Application for Long Term Care for my Father-in-law who is now in a nursing home. We have been jumping through various hoops to answer the questions they have put before us and it has been a challenge to remain at peace during this process. Finally, this afternoon, I had a long conversation with the caseworker, and she and I were able to come up with a plan that will enable my Father-in-law's application to be approved! Of course, it requires her to deny this claim, us to hire an attorney and then resubmit a second application.

It didn't end there, I had problems with the evening meal preparation that challenged me.

In spite of these difficulties I have managed to stay on course with my diet, no succumbing to the temptations of comforting myself with unwise food choices or excessive eating.

I also, managed to go in a available hour before dinner and weigh in and walk 3 miles.

All of these challenges have been faced with peace and calm.

Imagine my Aha moment when I just discovered that you were praying for me. No wonder I was able to find peace in the midst of the chaos which I have known all day long. Prayer, it does a body good!

Last, I have been at a stand still on my weight loss with the scales not budging for 10 days, this afternoon when I made it to weigh in, I was down 1.2 pounds.

At other things in the past, a day such as today would have lead to comfort foods and out of control portions. But that didn't happen today. For this I'm thankful and feel that your prayers contributed to my being able to navigate these obstacles to success.

I would say the best way to overcome the obstacles that life deals us and to stay on course is to remain calm and to trust that any challenge can be overcome. I am very thankful to know that I was being prayed for at a time when I was being bombarded with one challenge after another and am most happy to be able to lay down tonight knowing that no one was hurt today, that I am loved, that I remained on track, and most of all that I am not running this race alone, but that a comforter is by my side bringing me peace and the full knowledge that he is ever present in my life.

Replies

• BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It's good to hear your story--thank you!
  • MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Wow! You really had a great deal to with for one day!! I always say I don't know how people make it through life that don't have God to lean on. I pray you have a restful rest of the week! Congratulations that you held on through all of that and didn't fall back on old habits! I know how easy that is to do! Old habits really are hard to break! May God continue to bless and keep you calm through all your storms!