Bad bad tooth fairy!

Options
rocky503
rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
So my daughter lost a tooth last night. She's 10 and word on the street is that the tooth fairy is giving money and candy this season. Sooo being after 9pm I had use what I had on hand. Salted milk chocolate caramels and 4 dollar coins. The 10yo wasn't impressed.... Salted caramels are a little too sophisticated and she can't bear to spend the "gold" coins because there' special. So she feels shafted. But seemed fine if I trade her paper dollars for the coins, losing them that way is more acceptable than spending them for some reason. I know, so spoiled, but I kinda was too as a kid.

Replies

• TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks for this. My daughter just turned 5 and I'm already wondering when she'll lose her 1st tooth. Never thought that I might need to have something on hand if it's a surprise. Also, does anyone else know what the "going rate" is these days?
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think about 3 to four dollars in my neck of the woods. I usually was giving the dollar coins (more magical) and a little gift, such as a necklace or special pen or "something the faires made":smooched: ... I purposely got a roll of dollar coins stashed away just for this purpose. :smile:
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    I have friends who give more cash, but my kids always get a dollar bill and a toy. They are always excited, and have not heard any complaints yet *fingers crossed*. When the tooth isn't able to be left under the pillow (when they are eating and discover its missing, but there's no tooth :noway: ). We write a note explaining the situation, which is later replied to by the TF.

And yes, definitely keep a stash on hand! You never know when they will fall out. :smile:
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    LOL! Going through this too! We were prepared for the first one, but when the second one came out two weeks later, I was caught by surprise. Thankfully, I store away little things to reward him so I had something on hand.

His dad and I agreed to give two dollars and a "special" key. DS has a penchant for collecting keys. I often go to Home Depot or wherever keys are cut and ask for mis-cut keys. They let me rifle through the box and I pick out the most unusual ones.

It's pretty strange, I know. He's a charmer and has managed to make a few friends at the hardware stores and gets a steady supply.
  • melkadee
    melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    Very cute, Rocky! The twins are only four now, but I look forward to the Tooth Fairy adventures! :smile:
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Great to read. We have our first weekly tooth in the house. She's 6 and 2 months. I need to have things on hand. I actually asked her what She thinks the Tooth fairy brings. She said a dollar or two??? I said that sounds about right. I wonder if the very First one brings something extra too??? so if she gets more for the first, she doesn't expect that each time. :)

Its bitter sweet knowing that first tooth is about to fall out.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Great to read. We have our first weekly tooth in the house. She's 6 and 2 months. I need to have things on hand. I actually asked her what She thinks the Tooth fairy brings. She said a dollar or two??? I said that sounds about right. I wonder if the very First one brings something extra too??? so if she gets more for the first, she doesn't expect that each time. :)

Its bitter sweet knowing that first tooth is about to fall out.

My nephew (in college now) got a VIDEO GAME??!! For his first. I thought my sister was crazy. But we'll see what happens at our house in the next year or so (my DD is 5).