Help! Painful hip bursitis...any recovery tips welcome!

Options
Hi All - any input would be greatly appreciated. Ran 4 years varsity in high school with no issues. Now have been back at it for about 2 years 5k's and a few half marathons. Ever since I ran a half marathon in March, my hips were killing me. The pain actually hit me hard mile 6 and I ran through it in an 8:30 pace instead of the 8 pace I was shooting for. Ever since then I get sharp intense pain. I would take some time off, get back into my training slowly and the pain would strike again. This process happened over and over again. I tried alternate cardio to stay in shape: dancing, elliptical, rowing, stairmaster, bike, spinning, walking, swimming, etc. I still would hurt from time to time and have to ice, wait a few days until the pain subsided and go back to it. Now I am talking about I actually took a few months off completely from running which is my passion. I now am at a dead stop for the last week and a half and am seeing a chiropractor. He suggested only swimming for now until I am without pain. I sometimes have trouble sleeping the pain is so bad. (I tried Yoga as well to help heal previously however we did a lot of moves that bothered my hips)

Again, any advice appreciated. I want to be back on the roads! Have been patient but am going on atleast 7 months now with this. Maybe one of you went through the same thing and can offer some advice? Thanks much!

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hi All - any input would be greatly appreciated. Ran 4 years varsity in high school with no issues. Now have been back at it for about 2 years 5k's and a few half marathons. Ever since I ran a half marathon in March, my hips were killing me. The pain actually hit me hard mile 6 and I ran through it in an 8:30 pace instead of the 8 pace I was shooting for. Ever since then I get sharp intense pain. I would take some time off, get back into my training slowly and the pain would strike again. This process happened over and over again. I tried alternate cardio to stay in shape: dancing, elliptical, rowing, stairmaster, bike, spinning, walking, swimming, etc. I still would hurt from time to time and have to ice, wait a few days until the pain subsided and go back to it. Now I am talking about I actually took a few months off completely from running which is my passion. I now am at a dead stop for the last week and a half and am seeing a chiropractor. He suggested only swimming for now until I am without pain. I sometimes have trouble sleeping the pain is so bad. (I tried Yoga as well to help heal previously however we did a lot of moves that bothered my hips)

Again, any advice appreciated. I want to be back on the roads! Have been patient but am going on atleast 7 months now with this. Maybe one of you went through the same thing and can offer some advice? Thanks much!

Perhaps you should see a doctor.