Ready Set...

Options
10 days till the challenge starts, so drink up! Gives you plenty of time to get ready in the mind for it, planning healthier alternatives for socializing and I guess for some of you, to wean off the booze :)

Drinking at social events seem to be the diet killer for me, so many extra calories, food boundaries go down, not to mention bars and wineries (cheese!) don't always have the healthiest selections anyways.

As stated before, this is not an alcoholic group, just a group to be mindful of our drinking and desire to cut back or cut it out, whether that's temporary to take a break or maybe considering permanently. Check in. Share ideas, thoughts. My goal from this is to have more energy, waking up on weekends with a clearer head to work on stuff and early morning hikes, and lose those nagging 5lbs that are probably just wine sacs!

Feel free to introduce yourself here and any goals you have set, or reason why you want to do this challenge. :)

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Dragonfly

Thanks for the invite.
    I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since 2002. At the time, an older brother had a serious accident driving home one night after spending the night drinking. He wrapped the car he was in around some traffic lights. After the accident he lived for about 24 hours before he passed away. I was with him when his vital signs flat-lined and I had the conversation with the medical team and his wife about turning off life support.
    After that incident I recommitted myself to my Buddhist practice which includes adherence to five precepts. One of which is to abstain from intoxicants.
    I was never an alcoholic but having a beer or wine at social gatherings or during the evening meals was part of my daily ritual. After giving up alcohol completely, I have never looked back. I don't miss it.

My reason for joining the challenge, despite the fact that its not really a challenge for me to abstain, is to support others who want to abstain for October. So, that is why I am here.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks for inviting me to the group! I've already started my 'sober' challenge :) I was all partied-out from a long summer of fun so thought I'd go ahead and get a jump start. Had "drinks" with a friend last night when she came over, Vodka and Club soda with lime, but didn't put any vodka in mine. My friend didn't even notice, lol, so there wasn't that awkwardness of one person drinking while the other isn't. We had fun, and I just got more hydrated!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a sad lesson Ben. Glad to have you here for support :)

Welcome Kylie Anne! I learned to premix mocktails in a container to bring to parties/bbqs and when out order tonic water or sprite or a coke and ask for the cocktail glass instead of a soda glass and a lime. Nobody hardly noticed and avoided that awkwardness, not for me, but I found some of my friends felt weird to order a mixed drink while I drank water.

While some folks tend to gain over the winter, I tend to gain over the summer with all the bbq, pool parties, lake time, festivals, wineries that revolve around drinks, esp tropical high calorie drinks. Figured with Autumn around the corner, it was a good time to change things up a bit! Last year for medical reasons, I took off 92 days from it and I have to say, it was kinda refreshing and my body responded well :)
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Sarahwantshealth Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi Dragonfly

Thanks for the invite.
    I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since 2002. At the time, an older brother had a serious accident driving home one night after spending the night drinking. He wrapped the car he was in around some traffic lights. After the accident he lived for about 24 hours before he passed away. I was with him when his vital signs flat-lined and I had the conversation with the medical team and his wife about turning off life support.
    After that incident I recommitted myself to my Buddhist practice which includes adherence to five precepts. One of which is to abstain from intoxicants.
    I was never an alcoholic but having a beer or wine at social gatherings or during the evening meals was part of my daily ritual. After giving up alcohol completely, I have never looked back. I don't miss it.

My reason for joining the challenge, despite the fact that its not really a challenge for me to abstain, is to support others who want to abstain for October. So, that is why I am here.
    kind regards,

Ben

Thanks for sharing Ben! Three weeks ago yesterday my brother was hit in his car in a 40 mile per hour zone by someone under the influence driving 110 miles an hour! My brother will be OK but has a long road ahead of him! I drink way too much! It is time for me to not just make this a one month thing but a permanent thing.
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Options
    I plan to start tomorrow! Thanks for the invite!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I drink way too much wine. When I drink I lose any sense of food and the choices I make.

I also have very personal reason for wanting to take on this challenge. I lost an old friend a few years ago who I sadly lost track of for many years and what I didn't know is that she drank from the time she opened her eyes until she fell asleep at night. She was young, she was beautiful and she was tragically lost. She died from her alcoholism but from what I'm told, she died many years before that. You would think that would sadden me enough to give it up completely but it didn't. I accept this challenge and hope it leads to many more months an!d years of non-drinking.

Good luck and thank you very much for starting this group!

Marcie
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi all :)

I actually drink very little now... my husband and I are trying to start a family so I don't have more than a glass of wine here or a beer there these days. I did get fairly drunk a few weeks ago - I figured it was a special occasion because my college friends and I were having a rare catch up.

But I think it's time to get serious and really stop drinking completely, since I'm going to be able to need to do that when I get pregnant! (not that I think I have any problem with drinking but it's nice to be able to have wine with dinner, and I will need to cut that out)

So we are going out this coming Friday night and I plan to have my last drink then. Then I will be sober for October! But I will break the streak for Halloween weekend if I can be sure I'm not pregnant then. Or... fingers crossed, I will just keep it up for another 9 months! We will see what happens...
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Haven't had alcohol in over a year but I have my days that I want it. Thanks for the invite!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite! I went to a card party on Saturday I 4 glasses of Cabernet. Then my husband and I went to a restaurant that serves the best Mai Tais. I had 2 glasses of champagne!! :blushing:

I can refrain during the week. The weekends are my downfall. So if I can make it through the weekends without drinking anything then I will be straight!!
  • star5785
    Options
    Hi everyone. What a great idea for a challenge! I'm here because I'm ready to stop drinking altogether. Over the past few years my consumption basically doubled. I used to drink socially, mainly weekends only but then I began having a nightly glass of wine or beer as a stress reliever. "Me time" I considered it because I'm a busy wife and mother. It's been weighing heavy on my mind for a few months now as I don't want to start relying on drinks to get me through life. I've cut back significantly, only had one beer in the last few months and ready to take the next step of cutting it out completely. I'm very glad to be here :)
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Hi everyone. What a great idea for a challenge! I'm here because I'm ready to stop drinking altogether. Over the past few years my consumption basically doubled. I used to drink socially, mainly weekends only but then I began having a nightly glass of wine or beer as a stress reliever. "Me time" I considered it because I'm a busy wife and mother. It's been weighing heavy on my mind for a few months now as I don't want to start relying on drinks to get me through life. I've cut back significantly, only had one beer in the last few months and ready to take the next step of cutting it out completely. I'm very glad to be here :)

I used to be the exact same way. I had a glass every single night. Kids were busy with sports, school activities. Wine was my crutch. Then I realized it started to get out of control. In the beginning it was hard for me and i had to keep wine out of my house. I havent had wine in the house for months now. Now i just drink a couple glasses on the weekends.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite Dragonfly, and thank you to everyone who shared their stories. I have a little bit in common with each one of you, with the exception of Ben and Sarah - I am very sorry for the losses you suffered at the hands of someone who couldn't control their alcohol. I have been drinking alcohol "in moderation" for most of my life - I started as a repressed teenager. Lately though, I've been wondering if it is too much, and after countless nights spent with a buzz in my head and late night munchies with bad food that turns into feeling like garbage in the morning, I have decided that I have had enough. This is a perfect time of year for me to take on this challenge, because I also am a big fan of summertime drinking and eating! I need to do this because I am tired of watching the pounds creep back on that I worked so hard to lose 3 years ago, I'm tired of feeling crappy and tired, and I need to know that I can control when and how much I drink. So far it's been a week for me and I feel great! Well, actually that's not true - the day after I stopped drinking and started exercising again in earnest I caught a nasty cold that I'm still getting over, but I know that when it's gone I'm gonna feel great!
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Options
    Thanks for the invite Dragonfly, and thank you to everyone who shared their stories. I have a little bit in common with each one of you, with the exception of Ben and Sarah - I am very sorry for the losses you suffered at the hands of someone who couldn't control their alcohol. I have been drinking alcohol "in moderation" for most of my life - I started as a repressed teenager. Lately though, I've been wondering if it is too much, and after countless nights spent with a buzz in my head and late night munchies with bad food that turns into feeling like garbage in the morning, I have decided that I have had enough. This is a perfect time of year for me to take on this challenge, because I also am a big fan of summertime drinking and eating! I need to do this because I am tired of watching the pounds creep back on that I worked so hard to lose 3 years ago, I'm tired of feeling crappy and tired, and I need to know that I can control when and how much I drink. So far it's been a week for me and I feel great! Well, actually that's not true - the day after I stopped drinking and started exercising again in earnest I caught a nasty cold that I'm still getting over, but I know that when it's gone I'm gonna feel great!

My weekend beers increased to nightly beers. Drinking a six pack was the norm during the week. I didn't think it was an issue because I did it at home and never drove. But boy did I eat. It was nothing to consume 3000-4000 calories after my beers. I am really surprised my weight didn't go higher then 189. Besides the obvious issues of my health it made me sluggish and lazy! I hate using words like 'never' and 'always' but my plan is to make this permanent. I started drinking in high school to help deal with insecurities. It no longer needs to serve that purpose.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    It's nice being able to wake up and not have headaches or be sluggish. For me I would have SEVERAL glasses of wine on Fridays and then sleep all day Saturday or Sunday and then I beat myself up for sleeping all day on the weekend and not getting out there and enojoying the day.
  • star5785
    Options
    I used to be the exact same way. I had a glass every single night. Kids were busy with sports, school activities. Wine was my crutch. Then I realized it started to get out of control. In the beginning it was hard for me and i had to keep wine out of my house. I havent had wine in the house for months now. Now i just drink a couple glasses on the weekends.

It's good to know others are in the same life boat. :) I know the feeling about wine, it was more "addictive" than beer so I've had to completely cut it out. For me it helps to replace bad habits, so to get my "me time" in the evenings I have a cup of hot tea instead.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and ideas, I think in doing so it helps reminds us why we want to stay on track, to live a healthier lifestyle. Whether that means quitting for good, or just cutting back for whatever the reasons, no judgement here. For those considering this to be a permanent thing, don't focus on forever, but just as they say, take one day at a time and say today, I will not drink, instead I'm going to do (fill in the blank) Those weekend warriors who want to drink, just go for the 25 day challenge then and maybe just drink on one day of the weekend instead of both days. Really glad to have everyone here and feel free to post thoughts, struggles, inspirations, ideas to make it easier and etc. I really do find that just planning in advance really helps.

I'm already almost a month in and it just feels great to have so much more energy the next day, not to mention the weight that crept up last month is starting to come back down again :) Even did a girls night out, enjoyed them and had my 1 frappe as a treat and then water the rest of the night and still way under what I would have been calorie wise if I had a few martini's plus the extra appetizer I would have probably ordered later. Sunday went out for a concert, had one Pepsi as a treat, and water the rest of the evening and it was nice to fully appreciate the music without the cloudiness of a few beers, not to mention woke up on a Monday after a night out and was ready to go :)

Kudos to everyone here for whatever reason that brought you. We are cutting back/out sugars, processed foods, bad fats and etc and wanting more energy for living, working out and playing and cutting back/out alcohol is just another factor in being a healthier you :)
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm feeling a lot better about myself after reading the rest of these posts and realizing that I am not alone! That I'm not the only one who's occasional drink led to a nightly drink, which led to a few drinks each night, which I felt I deserved after all my hard work during the day, and didn't think it mattered because I still have a great family and a successful job and I'm not out at the bars I'm at home, so I'm not wasting money and I'm not driving....and I'm not the only one who is snacking like crazy late at night because of the munchies...When I was in college I heard from a professor about "functional alcoholics" and in the back of my mind I've been worried if I was just one of those. Now I feel a little more normal. Or maybe we're all just a bunch of functional alcoholics together taking a much needed liver vacation together. :)
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Options
    Wow, I'm feeling a lot better about myself after reading the rest of these posts and realizing that I am not alone! That I'm not the only one who's occasional drink led to a nightly drink, which led to a few drinks each night, which I felt I deserved after all my hard work during the day, and didn't think it mattered because I still have a great family and a successful job and I'm not out at the bars I'm at home, so I'm not wasting money and I'm not driving....and I'm not the only one who is snacking like crazy late at night because of the munchies...When I was in college I heard from a professor about "functional alcoholics" and in the back of my mind I've been worried if I was just one of those. Now I feel a little more normal. Or maybe we're all just a bunch of functional alcoholics together taking a much needed liver vacation together. :)

BINGO!!!! I could have written this!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Last drinks tonight! Going out to watch the Australian rules footy grand final... and then tomorrow it starts...
  • dbanks80
    Options
    I haven't drank all week but now i want a couple glasses of wine and a cigerette just because it's Friday!!!! :smokin: