What button did I push?

Options
So this morning I ran a 5k in 26:33, totally a PR for me by over a minute. So i am curious what I did so I can repeat it lol.
Yesterday I ate like crap (2 banana nut muffins, 2 frozen burritos and 3 blueberry pancakes, drank normal amount of water.)
I actually took the day off of work for a mental day.
Took a hot bath this morning before race to shave my legs (was it stretching)
Ran about half a mile before the race
Can't think of anything else I did different than any other race day. So was it just the stars aligned right or did I find a magic button?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a magic button. You're going to have good days and bad days. Be consistent. Keep training. You'll have ups and downs and sometimes those ups are on a race day. What is true is that the more you work at it the higher your highs will be. That's what constant running and dedication does. The more you do this the more likely it is that you're going to have an amazing day and your low days will eventually be higher than your high days now.

You had a great race day. Enjoy it. Don't question it or try to recreate it. Just keep running for the fun of it. You'll have more of these.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    thanks for the words of wisdom! Todays 10 miles sucked but it's ok since I am still on cloud 9 following the race! In my mind I won lol
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    honestly my race times are always FAR better than my daily runs b/c of the adrenaline and energy I get from all the excitement and spectators. of course i say that now, and my first Half is coming up...we'll see if it holds true. :) either way, that's fantastic!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You're posting in a long distance running group so I'm assuming that you don't typically run 5K's. I know my 5K get better with in increase my distances. Just simply better fitness. I think the course, weather, crowd are all factors you can't control. Food on a 5K for me is irrelevant. I always warm up by running 2 miles before any 5K that I want to race. I feel better starting already warmed up. I don't think that it's a factor of what you did right, more what you didn't do wrong.