Revitalize the Group! - Share what motivated you

Options
It seems there hasn't been much going on in this group for awhile and that is definitely not awesome! I've been losing weight for a while, but only have a couple of friends on here and I want to make some new ones! :D I thought it might be a good idea to get to know each other a bit better by finding out what motivated you to either join the site, start eating healthy, get in shape etc

I heard about this site from one of my customers at my old job, Starbucks, who I'm still friends with. I kept getting in trouble at work because whenever she'd come in I'd want to gab about fitness and healthy eating and body positivity. Finally I just friended her on here and we go and hang out sometimes and encourage each other.

My long term goals are to lose weight, be able to be as active as I daydream of being, and to learn how to better take care of my body via healthy food. I'm about to graduate college and move from home. So i want to take this time whilst i still have some extra free time and my parents graciously paying for the food in the fridge to get myself into healthy habits. I know that the habits you get into when you move on your own can become the ones you have for life. PLUS I want to invest in my future health. Which unlike our education doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive.

I love daydreaming about how awesome it would be to be able to some cool flips and moves that make you feel like a kickass super hero. Whilst I'll never be in the olympics/superhero I can still do adult gymnastics which is pretty close. I'd like to also be able to compete in the zombie run. Which as a huge zombie fan sounds awesome, except for you know the running bit. I want to be able to do those types of things.

My other source of motivation is cosplay/cheap clothes. Its so much more difficult to find cheap, cute clothes when you're bigger and whilst that is a bunch of bull it is the truth of the matter. Not to mention less fabric=less expense for cosplay. I'm hoping to be around 140ish lbs by ColossalCon to cosplay as Mikasa from Attack on Titan (an Anime con in Northern Ohio).

My third motivation is of course the food side of things. I recently read this great book call Salt, Sugar, Fat about those three ingredients and the evolution of the processed food industry and it was quite enlightening about the manufacturing process of most of our food. (Despite being a non-fiction it also had excellent prose) I want to work to get almost all the process food out of my diet so I can again in my future. I don't want to have to worry as much about heart disease and other risk factors as I get older.

Can't wait to hear more about fellow nerdfighters! Btw I also have a fitblr if you're into that sort of thing. www.mariagetshealthy.tumblr.com

~Maria

Replies

• toothwalker_
    toothwalker_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey Maria :) Hey everyone

What motivated me: a combination of a new high on the scale, school stress, isolation due to moving to Europe from Canada (alone), feeling like crap in the winter, and boy problems. I decided that because I couldn't control most of that, I'd finally stop making excuses for not looking after myself. Injuries, mobility issues, school, etc. etc., I used that as excuses for not taking care of myself. While I still deal with mobility issues, I can't let them dictate my life.

Like the scientist I am (grad student in ecology), I did a lot of research and reading, and I found MFP and agree with the data collection approach instead of anecdotally trying things and wondering why they didn't work. This was in February. I've lost 11 kg so far, and more importantly, I've been able to identify my food and weight demons. They're still there, but knowing my trigger foods and how far I've come really makes a difference.

My long term goal is to get to a weight that's healthy for me and my career goals -- field ecologists spend a lot of time walking and climbing ladders, etc. I also want to be more at peace with my body and be able to do things I thought were impossible - running a 5K, for example, or going on a bike trip or an obstacle course. It will be a long road to these goals, though, so my short term goals are more keeping up with healthy eating habits, weekly exercise, and taking care of my body image. I identify as a fat positive person, and I truly believe in health at every size, but I also know that some of medical issues are weight related, and I'm not living as healthy as I should be. So whether or not I lose the forty pounds I want to, I want to be able to say, "Yes, I live a healthy lifestyle."

Now, I had a practicum for three months and I wasn't stressing about logging. Now I'm back to my regular study schedule and I need to get back into the swing of things. I've managed to not gain anything over this time off, but I need to find my focus again.

I really hope that this group can flourish again :)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    What motivates me is my friends, the towns people and my fitness instructor.