How casual can I be with my plan?

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
I am planning on using the Runner's World SmartCoach program for a bit after my half marathon before I decide on a plan for my spring 6k.

It really wants me to run four days a week, which I *could* do...but...

I've been doing:
Saturday: Rest/stretching/sleeping in/playing with kids
Sunday: Easy run or Tempo run depending on my plan (in the morning before the family wakes up)
Monday: Pilates at lunch
Tuesday: Long Run (Husband picks up kids from daycare)
Wednesday: Strength Training (Which has turned into a stretch day now that my long run is pushing my boundaries - Husband gets kids)
Thursday: Speed Work
Friday: Strength Training

If I go to four days, it'll be more like:

Saturday: easy run with stroller
Sunday: easy run
Monday: Pilates
Tuesday: long run
Wednesday: Strength
Thursday: Speedwork
Friday: Rest/Stretching

What I was wondering is how diligent I need to be about doing both those easy runs. At this point, they're only 2 miles each. If I do them most of the time, but on busy Saturdays when I can't get out, can I just do a 4 mile run on Sunday? Can I push a stroller 2 miles to a park and push it 2 miles back after the kids play and then rest on Sunday?

How much can I flex the plan around my life needs? What would be the impact of my decisions?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    While I'm no expert on training plans, I dunno if I'd want my long run and speedwork that close. I usually do my speed in mid week so it's cushioned by shorter training/recovery effort runs, then do a moderate effort run on Sat, then my long on Sun (Sat's effort ensures I don't go crazy on Sun). Can you wake up before the kids on the weekends? The choice to flex the plan around your needs is up to you.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    While I'm no expert on training plans, I dunno if I'd want my long run and speedwork that close. I usually do my speed in mid week so it's cushioned by shorter training/recovery effort runs, then do a moderate effort run on Sat, then my long on Sun (Sat's effort ensures I don't go crazy on Sun). Can you wake up before the kids on the weekends? The choice to flex the plan around your needs is up to you.

I agree with concern about long run being scheduled so close to speedwork but it might not be an issue since its only a 6K plan and you will be coming off training for a 1/2.

I usually schedule my speed work on tuesday, easy wednesday, medium distance thursday, rest friday, long run saturday, easy recovery run sunday and rest monday.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's more when I *can* get the runs in than doing them at the ideal time. If I wait until it's the perfect day between the other activities I have going on and I have time to warm up and have time to stretch, etc, etc. I could never get out there. I always warm up and cool down. I make time to stretch throughout the week. And I'm not doing anything more exciting than a half-marathon every year or so. :)
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    It's more when I *can* get the runs in than doing them at the ideal time. If I wait until it's the perfect day between the other activities I have going on and I have time to warm up and have time to stretch, etc, etc. I could never get out there. I always warm up and cool down. I make time to stretch throughout the week. And I'm not doing anything more exciting than a half-marathon every year or so. :)

Depends on what your goals are...

Can you answer what exactly are your goals?

With speed work and long runs being close- that is okay.

In college XC, we would have a meet and less than 24 hours later required to do our long run. However, your longs runs would need to be controlled & recoverish in order to avoid injury.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My next race is the 6k (in early February, I think) and I'd like to do it in under 36 minutes.

Overall, my goals are to run without injury for as long as possible and to "improve": go farther and faster. Nothing more exciting than that. I've been running for 9 months.

I've picked out 4 races a year to keep me motivated: a 6k, a 10k, a 5k, and a half marathon, about every three months. Well, those and the Thanksgiving day 5k, but that one doesn't really count.

My 5k time is probably somewhere around 33 minutes. My 10k time was 1:08:10. I was doing 14:30 minute miles during my last 11 mile run. :huh: So you can see that at this point, as long as I keep running, I'll make significant improvements. Perhaps after another 6-months or a year, I'll be more clear about defined and ambitious targets for specific races.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
  • likitisplit
    Options

The one issue I have with something like that is that there are benefits to increasing your weekly base mileage. Also, easy runs are good for you too.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My next race is the 6k (in early February, I think) and I'd like to do it in under 36 minutes.

Overall, my goals are to run without injury for as long as possible and to "improve": go farther and faster. Nothing more exciting than that. I've been running for 9 months.

I've picked out 4 races a year to keep me motivated: a 6k, a 10k, a 5k, and a half marathon, about every three months. Well, those and the Thanksgiving day 5k, but that one doesn't really count.

My 5k time is probably somewhere around 33 minutes. My 10k time was 1:08:10. I was doing 14:30 minute miles during my last 11 mile run. :huh: So you can see that at this point, as long as I keep running, I'll make significant improvements. Perhaps after another 6-months or a year, I'll be more clear about defined and ambitious targets for specific races.

Just be running the same training plan for a long time you won't make the significant improvements that you are hoping for I feel. If it were me I'd concentrate on building your base for the 10k & Half and use other sessions for the 5&6k distances. I am struggling with the value of a 2 mile easy.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would say that, given your time constraints, I would forego the speed work for just doing easy running. The marathon is 99% aerobic, so that is the system that you need to be training. The more easy running you do, the more aerobic fitness you will gain. Get out there and run as many easy miles as you can fit it. Do remember though that 8 miles + 8 miles is not the same as a single 16 mile run. There are specific physiological benefits that are only achieved by doing the long run and being on your feet for over 90 minutes consecutively.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you! I get that a real, solid long run is critical.

What if I do hill repeats or something every other Sunday? I don't have time to get out to the track where I do intervals on the weekend, but I could run up and down a hill a couple of times or do strides and get back in time to do pancakes.

The two mile easy run is because Runner's World splits an easy run when it moves from 3 to 4 days. So you'll be doing a 9 mile long run, 400 meter intervals and a 4 mile easy run. Then the next week, for example, you'll do 9 miles, a tempo run and two 2-mile easy runs (for example). Then they'll start adding miles to each of the easy runs every week or so to build your base.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think I finally understand the advice you all gave me. Thanks so much!