Bicycle Helmets...

Options
2»

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Also, aren't you supposed to replace them every 5 years too?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Also, aren't you supposed to replace them every 5 years too?

Don't think I've ever had one that's lasted that long without something befalling it - either falling off, hitting something solid in the woods on the mob, or it getting something dropped on it in the back of the car...
  • ghost15026
    Options
    My 6 year old niece ended up with a concision while wearing a helmet. I have to wonder if she was wearing it correctly. My kids are always pushing theirs up. So make sure you (and your kids) are not only always wearing a helmet but wearing it correctly.

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/safety-wellness/bike-helmet-safety/

Interesting you said that. The radio program I listened to addressed that aspect as well. A known fault of all current bicycle and other helmets (EPS foam) is that they don't protect well from concussions. This is due to a sort of energy absorption threshold in the EPS foam.

Basically, it's an all-or-none effect with bicycle helmets. Helmets have a minimum threshold before it begins absorbing energy from an impact. The helmet destroys itself in the case of severe impacts (splits like a melon). However, if the impact isn't severe (not skull-splitting) then the helmet just transfers the energy to your skull - thus a concussion.

Some research/funding is being put into addressing this fault of helmets. Unfortunately, concussions don't get as much attention as severe head trauma.

I've seen some pretty nasty accidents. It's almost cartoonish - the helmet literally splits in two when (if) you get up.

If I ever find a recording of the program I listened to, I will definitely post a link. I learned a lot from it.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    He was released into the general ward today.

He will survive, put he is blind in one eye (eye is missing) and he faces months of rehabilitation and reconstructive surgery. Including facial, dental and much later a plate in his skull.

His parents are scared of the medical bills to the extent that they are frightened to visit the hospital.

He will hopefully be allowed home in the next few weeks.

By all accounts he is happy, but 'different'..