Runners: How much slower did you get?

Options
Sixel
Sixel Posts: 57 Member
Before my pregnancy I ran almost 10km/hr (10min/miles). I've taken a break for two months due to fatigue and nausea and when I started again I had slowed down to 7km/hr (13,5min/miles).

I don't really care much. I'm running but I'm slow. I don't feel it as much when I'm cycling.

Anyone else gotten slower?

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I used to run a kilometre in 5:45-6:00 minutes, but now (at 21 weeks) I'm at 6:45 minutes per kilometre - and slower if it's hilly. Legs simply don't have the power for hills and I'm huffing and puffing like I'm completely unfit. My theory is, it doesn't matter how slow I get, as long as I'm still getting some exercise I'm good. I know I'll bounce back post partum.
    Keep up the good work!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I had a 9 minute mile when I got pregnant. I was very quickly running an 11 minute mile, but I kept up that pace until 31 weeks, then I had to stop running because I just got too big and my sciatica was flaring up. I am curious to see where I will be when I start back up!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I barely go running anymore. I find myself soooo tired lately and my breasts hurt. Doc said the breast soreness doesn't really go away during pregnancy, but my energy should return once I go into my second trimester.

I did a 5K last week and was still at my normal running pace of 10:50 min mile...so I'm guessing it's gonna drop once I'm further along.
  • Alexz210
    Alexz210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I haven't ran since I was 4 weeks pregnant. Do you all think it would be alright to start back up again (now in week 20)? I would take it very slowly, of course.
    I just need to do something to be active again!!
  • kristineevans12
    Options
    I used to run at 9/9.5 kph now I'm at a 7/7.5 I found it massively hard in the first trimester but now I'm in 2nd have a. Bit more energy x
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Pre-pregnancy, I was running a 5k in 26-30 minutes. Around week 16, it had slowed down to 35 minutes. By week 18, I couldn't even finish a 5k. Now I am "running" about 3k in 30 minutes (alternating running and walking). I'm still getting a great workout, though, so it doesn't bother me too much.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not a runner, but I feel like I'm walking through concrete. I used to have a pretty fast pace with my walks, but now I can only complete half the distance in the same amount of time.

I am out of breathe faster and waddle more.
  • Camerol
    Camerol Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 weeks now. This spring I was working on getting faster and ran a 5K in early June in 27 minutes which was a pr for me. Then I got pregnant and slowed down to where I needed to do a mix of walking and running because of shortness of breath and fatigue. I really haven't timed myself in a while but I know I'm slower. I just do a mix of walking/running but I feel fine about that as long as I keep exercising.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    A few months pre-pregnancy I ran a half-marathon with 7:30 minute miles. I did not run throughout the pregnancy because it made me feel more nauseous and everything hurt constantly, but I did "water run" for a good part of it. Last week at 4.5 months postpartum I went to a track and ran one stinking mile in 12 minutes. Granted I am 20 lbs heavier and nursing, but sheesh, you'd think some of the benefits I'd gained from being a fairly competitive runner for my entire life would stick.

Coming to terms with my decreased physical ability has been for me the hardest part of the whole motherhood experience, but now that my little cutie is here I am ok with the sacrifices and I take comfort in the fact that my decreased ability is temporary.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good to know it's quite normal to be this slow... I'm participating in a race in 10 days and I would have liked to finish my 4km in half an hour but have come to terms that it won't be the case. I'll wear a "baby on board" button.

To Alexz210: check with your doctor but unless there's a medical reason not to, I'd try, say a slow couple of miles, take water with you and listen to your body, walk in between if necessary.
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    I could consistently run a sub 10 for a 10K, but now I'm up to about a 12 minute mile at week 31. I have a feeling that is going to get much slower as the weeks progress. Back pain and hemorrhoids anyone?