Processing...processed foods! 9/25

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
http://www.eatingrules.com/october-unprocessed-2013/

This challenge is not for the faint in heart but I will say read it and tweak it to how you want to do it. Perhaps you eat a granola bar daily for breakfast well start reading the ingredients and if the one you eat has a lot of "___ates" in them then pick on that is more natural and has whole ingredients.
YOu don't have to cook everything if it is not feasible for you to do so. This challenge is about just paying attention to ingredients and being more mindful of foods you eat.
Also, the promoter last year said do if for how long you want to do it...a week or two or the whole month...you decide!

Happy eating!
WW

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I am preemptively failing this challenge. :laugh:

I'll give it a shot, but I doubt I'll get very far. Today's liquid ingredients:

Carbonated water
    Caramel color
    Natural and artificial flavors
    Aspartame
    Sodium Benzoate
    Citric Acid
    Phosphoric Acid
    Caffeine
    malic acid
    Sodium Phosphate
    Red 40

(Hrm, four different acids. No wonder Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry feels like it's eating my stomach lining.)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    Hmmm, well pre lunch snack today (yes, I know it's early but we have a sample coming in about 20 mins):
    Water
    Banana
    Yogurt (milk,sugar, potassium sorbate [color], lemon juice concentrate, calcium lactate, and Vit D3)
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    baby I got this one. good thing barbecue sauce at the office was YESTERDAY - today is NEW!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I will say that the doc wanting me to move to Atkins really moved our whole family to mostly non-processed food. Which is going to drive him nuts since we don't eat the dressings and such that would give us the fats. Except mircale whip, relish, ketchup, mustard, and bbq sauce. I have recipes for all of those but no interest in making them as using them up before they go bad isn't going to happen. I would rather have the small amounts of bad chemicals for shelf life knowing that I probably eat one or the other of those only two or three times a week. The things that disappeared which were highly processed were cereals, microwaved foods, super processed lunchmeats, any of the quick boxed meals that I might turn to for something different or jarred pasta sauce (and yet allowed me to be lazy) and potstickers. I really miss the potstickers. Recently we have had some things sneak back in like tortillas and burritos and taquitos. We still buy ice cream and candy. I think the place we get the most processed food is when we eat out - that's often Subway and I'm sure their stuff is full of all kinds of things to extend shelf life, flavor, looks, etc. I recently did realize how much transfat was in the coffee creamer and talked with hubby. As soon as what we have bought is used up, we will move to milk only for the coffee.