Fave running spots

Especially with fall coming in and shorter days that keep us at work until sunset; What are some of your favorite running spots around and about Memphis? How long are the trail(s) and does it have a closing time?

I LOVE running at Shelby Farms especially the chickasaw trail which is around 2.74 miles without laps or extra loops. But, with the park closing at sunset its hard to make it out there after work.
So, my backup is Overton park which can range anywhere from a mile to 3.25 miles depending on the laps and paths you take. It closes at 8pm, but with so many trees the trails get really dark, really fast so you gotta be careful.

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    To be honest, I don't know many spots that are open after sunset. I wish I did, though, because, while I don't run, I do like getting outside to walk and hike. I know the Memphis Outdoors group will sometimes do night hikes.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    There is a big turn out at Breakaway on Wednesdays. They run day or night, and with the sun setting earlier and earlier, we usually just pop head lamps on and keep going.

You can get away with running pretty much any of the greenlines as long as you aren't parking in one of the gated areas.

The Greenlines combined equal about 30 miles around Memphis, that is connecting them all. That includes the Shelby, Wolf River, Germantown, Midtown and Riverfront.