Successful Hunt Thread

Options
hunter1025
hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
Since hunting season has started, I figured I would start a thread to post you successful hunts and pictures. i will be going out Friday for our early season doe hunt, so hopefully I will have a pic up then.

Good luck to everyone and be safe.

Joe

Replies

• Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Our first big game starts OCT 5th. Antelope. And by looking at what the flooding has displace, it's going to be hard to find a decent sized one. Will see what's in store!
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Tree stand has been moved, camera is up...10/21 is opening day here. Good luck to all. and if you find that you have too many deer that need shooting or if your freezer is too full...let me know and I'll be there.

on another note, by father used to hunt with a Remington 742 Woodsmaster 30-06 from the 70's. it sat in his basement for numerous years. I cleaned it up and took it out the other day. Very accurate after a few adjustments but not ejecting properly. The magazine spring is gone and it has a lot of rust throughout the bolt and interior. $125 to restore. one of my employees told me I should just get rid of it. Um, excuse me but where are you going to get a rifle for $125. I'm keeping it and using it this year. Just wanted to share the story. Thanks for reading.
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Well it was an eventful morning. Got in the stand at 5:40, took a little nap until daylight. The deer were moving a lot. Saw 7 deer by 8:30 and shot the 7th deer. Not a huge deer, but a mature doe. Will put some pics up when I get a chance.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    That is awesome. Congrats. Can't wait to see the pics.
  • hunter1025
    Options
    OK here the pic of the doe I shot.

securedownload_zps86ed067a.jpg
  • Nanadena
    Options
    Nice deer! We bagged 3 Pronghorn Yesterday by 10:00 am. Had to chase and stalk but so worth it.

Antelope2013_zps1221d086.jpg

Antelope2013c_zps5ca75c67.jpg

Thanks for the help Hunter1025!
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Very nice. Congrats. Your welcome.

I just got picked to hunt the airport property that has been closed to hunting for 10 years. It's archery only. I as pumped to get in there.
  • Nanadena
    Options
    Congrats!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    you two are making me jealous. I have 12 more days until the season. I did check my camera today and I've had a 6 pointer and 2 does visiting 3 times a day this week less than 30 yards from my stand. hopefully they will continue this pattern for a couple more weeks.

love the pronghorn pics. what is the typical weight? and how does it taste?

great doe Hunter and congrats on the airport hunt.
  • Nanadena
    Options
    We netted around 50 lbs, boneless meat out of two does. Pronghorn tastes just like deer if you treat it right. If you leave the skin on too long, just like any other game, it starts to get "gamey".
  • Nanadena
    Options
    Leaving tomorrow morning for elk hunting! So exited. Love this time of year♥ Am praying we bring home beaucoup meat! It is all we eat, so say a prayer!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    good luck with the elk hunt
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Good luck on your elk hunt.

Hunted my first day at the airport I permission to hunt and saw 5 coyote. Not what I was expecting.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Nice looking Prongs Dena and Congratulations 1025, I will be looking for your arrows in my backyard.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    I haven't hunted bow season in about 17 years. You couldn't use a release back then. Takes some getting used to. After a few shots, I finally remembered how to shoot but I'm sporting the swollen and bruised forearm. Dumb *kitten*!
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My pic if of my first BOW kill. Sooo exciting. 120lb whitetail doe.
  • Nanadena
    Options
    Awesome CarrieBeard! Love it. Our elk hunt was a bust. The weather has been so weird this year, they have not migrated yet. So disappointed! Second year with no elk. A real lesson in humility!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree! It has been a weird year! We went out 3 weeks ago for an early doe rifle season in our area and I passed on a Doe that was still with a baby. It looked like the fawn had literally just lost it's spots. Very small yet for this time of year here in Nebraska. Same with the turkey. Some of the poults were just molting and getting adult feathers in mid Sept. I think our long cold spring really messed up the birthing season. Sure seems like every thing is off by 3 to 4 weeks. Dena- Maybe that's what was up with the elk?? Going Bow hunting for deer this weekend. Supposed to be colder so hopefully more are beginning to move around now between that and the corn harvesting. 1025- hopefully the coyote left some of the deer out there for you...
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Well I haven't seen a deer in the wood yet on the airport property. Have had many crossing the road in front of my on the way in and out. Did relocate my stand to an area that has a ton of sign. I won't be hunting that area until next week. We have our youth doe hunt Friday and Sat so hopefully my son can get a doe on Friday.

@Newf77

Do you live near the airport?
  • Madmoosebaits
    Options
    Congratulations to the successful harvests so far! Ever since I decided to really start working on my lures I have been fishing fishing fishing. I am not sure when I will get my tags, but I know I will at some point. One thing that sucks is my daughter is 2 hours away now at college and she is my hunting buddy.

Keep the pics coming!