Exercising & Trying to Conceive

Options
katieuk
katieuk Posts: 304 Member
So, this is obviously a very personal and private matter but I think we all know each other a little bit by now and I was hoping one or more of you might be able to give me your opinion.

My partner and I have decided to take the plunge and try for our first baby. I came off the pill about one month ago and after my next time of the month (which is within the next 6-7 days) we will be "actively" trying to conceive.

Obviously I have been reading up on things and I am taking vitamins / minerals / folic acid as recommended by the GP but I have also been reading recently that the release of a certain hormone by doing too much vigorous exercise (and they discuss running as being one of the things) can prevent a woman from ovulating despite still have her period. It can also make the cycle length of a period longer etc. hence making it more difficult to succeed!!

I love working out and especially having had the month from hell I was really looking forward to getting back into it but I don't want to reduce our chances of being successful by doing too much.

I know it would just make sense to reduce my activity e.g. do 3 days a week rather than 5, and change the type of exercise e.g. stationary bike / stepper / rower instead of running - but I just wondered if anyone else had an opinion / thoughts / knowledge about this?

Thanks
Katie

Replies

• SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I really can't speak from experience because I wasn't very active before or during any of my pregnancies other than walking. I don't think I'd change activity levels if it's what you've been at all along. I would think it more of a problem being underweight or too lean, which I know can cause periods to stop altogether.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, discuss it with your doctor...

I know when I got pregnant with my little girl, they said to continue with the current exercise program I was doing before, but not to add anything new. Unless, you were inactive, then they suggested to add walking.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I would think that the vigorous exercise keeping women from ovulating, is most likely from women just starting a vigorous workout program or at a low bf %.
  • katieuk
    katieuk Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!

I think it is meant to be fine to continue at your normal levels of fitness!! I won't add or change anything just plan on continuing as normal - which lets face it hasn't been that much recently haha!!

I am definitely not under weight and my BF % is normal so I think it should be A-ok!!

Thanks again!