Newbie Introduction

Emsamom
Emsamom Posts: 5 Member
Hi all - I'm brand new to MFP and so happy to find a T1 group! Looking forward to having some friends facing the same challenges as I do on this journey.

Not sure what clicked with me... perhaps the photos of my 20th high school reunion that I didn't attend where everyone looked SO good, or the family wedding I have coming up that none of my dresses will fit for, or the fact that I'm tired of being overweight and out of shape, but I've finally seen the light and committed to changing my eating and exercise habits.

I have about 30 pounds to lose and am planning on not making crazy changes - working up to exercise 4-5x per week, and making better food choices. I've really been surprised to see just how recording what I'm eating has opened my eyes! 2 days of light exercise this week and I can barely walk up or down stairs... I didn't realize how out of shape I was. :(

On the Diabetes front, I was diagnosed type 1 at age 20, and have been pumping for about 15 years. I currently wear the new T-Slim and a Dexcom CGMS (less frequently than I should). Some days I feel like I've got this whole thing down pat since I've been doing it for so long, and other days I feel like I haven't a clue. I already had to email my diabetes educator this week to ask how to count treatment for lows... I was expecting them with the reduction in calories and increase in exercise, but needed a refresher in how to handle them.

It's very frustrating to work to be healthy and then be forced to eat calories when I'm not hungry! So far I've been using 4 oz of OJ (instead of my normal candy bar) and that's been working well. Curious if others count calories from low correction in their total daily allocation? My HCP said not to but I think that's going to undermine me...

Hope I didn't bore you with my details, and looking forward to the group!

Thanks,
Emily

Replies

• becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Hi Emily and welcome to this very helpful place. I've been Type 1 for 27 years and live in New Zealand!
    For me personally, I have my diary setup but have a separate area for 'other and hypoglycaemic corrections'. The other is for milk I use in coffee over the day and I add in here what I eat for those pesky lows. I include it in my overall calorie count but if I go over and I've had a low I am kinder to myself. Sometimes we just have to eat to survive. But I have also discovered boiled lollies that I like that I won't go overboard on and that is lower calorie.
    I've also found that it's better for me to exercise first thing in the morning, not having any food, no short acting insulin and sometimes I have long acting insulin (depending on the actual time I exercise). Just a matter of test test and more testing to work out what is best for you.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Emily,

Another t slim/ dex G4 user here. I also have a category for snack/lows as well as one for exercise/ post workout. I include them in my total calories for the day.
    I have set my diary so that carbs track first with fiber, protein and fat next in line so I can do my bolus dose calculations easily. Don't care too much about the other categories other than net calories. I have a fitbit linked to MFP so I get my daily exercise burn built in automatically. Fitbit doesn't do lifting to well so I either add it or just ignore the extra on those days.
    I'm using the TDEE method for calorie goal and find the fat2fitradio site calculators very helpful.

I find that long-term use of the G4 has been a huge help in preventing lows and a great aid in keeping from going too high too often. The lower your insulin levels over time the easier it is to lose and keep off the weight long term.
    I have changed up how I eat based on CGM info. I could see how high I was spiking if I didn't bolus 20-30 minutes before I ate and the timing of how I ate the kinds of carbs in my meal also impacted how high I would go. Even though I was back in target range by the 2 hour post time frame.

I work in an active job and th G4 has helped me get my basal rates dialed in so I do not begin to run low before lunch or dinner. If you can go for 8- 10 hours with out eating without needing to treat a low then you can do this a lot easier.
    Pumping Insulin by John Walsh has been a great resource and has a great section on CGM patterns. You can kindle it if you want so you always have it.

Strength training is important to maintaining good control. Be sure you include it in your exercise program. In the long run it may be more important than constant cardio. I can stop a spike and decrease my high simply by walking up 5-10 floors nonstop. Takes me 10 minutes- the same amount of walking/cardio has little effect.

You will find that all of this is trial and error. Be patient, give things a good trial before you change things up, and always feel free to give a shout out if you need to talk.

Marybeth
  • Emsamom

Strength training is important to maintaining good control. Be sure you include it in your exercise program. In the long run it may be more important than constant cardio. I can stop a spike and decrease my high simply by walking up 5-10 floors nonstop. Takes me 10 minutes- the same amount of walking/cardio has little effect.

Nice to meet you Marybeth!

Curious about the Strength training comment - why does it help BG control more than cardio?

(I'd consider 5-10 floors of stairs nonstop to be cardio for sure!)
  • Emsamom
    Thanks for the welcome from down under!

I was just in Australia for work and will be back at the end of October - I've been learning a lot about the Australia Health Care industries (I work in the pharmaceutical industry). Hoping that our project will extend to include New Zealand as well!

Seems like the lows calories will be included in my daily totals - that will be good motivation to keep them to a minimum :)
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member

Nice to meet you Marybeth!

Curious about the Strength training comment - why does it help BG control more than cardio?

(I'd consider 5-10 floors of stairs nonstop to be cardio for sure!)

More muscle mass utilizes more glucose for energy and the more you use it the more sensitive you are to insulin. I do stronglifts 5x5 - stair climbing uses many of the same muscle groups as squats.

For me climbing steps for 5-10minutes works me harder than walking the same time even if I'm walking at 3.5 mph. I don't get any more winded or sweaty on the steps vs treadmill. Using the same muscles but lifting 150 lbs up is more work. And try alternating one flight forwards with one flight backwards. Works a different group when you do.