Resistance bands

just_jess7
just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
Have any of you used them? I just had the bf pick me up one since they're inexpensive. All of the exercises on the chart that comes with it look doable, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had success using them.

Replies

• Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    The last time I used them was after I had broken my foot, my physiotherapist suggested them as a way to start returning range of motion (I had to be 100% off the foot for 8 weeks, and too heavy for crutches or to hop very far with my walker). I remember that they really did seem to help, but that was a few years ago and I don't remember the exercises I did anymore lol.
  • BACKTOCHRISSY
    BACKTOCHRISSY Posts: 73 Member
    I've used them. A lot of instructors like to use them in classes at the gym to give your muscles a better work out. I usually feel it a lot the next day or two... :sad:
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Sorry, don't listen to Resistance Bands. I'm more of a classic mellow rock kind of guy.

(OK, nope, never used them although I know some people who swear by them since they are really good for travelers to carry and use anywhere.)
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    I have them, but I havent used them :blushing:

I have a 10lb medicine ball Ive been trying to use more though :smile:
  • just_jess7
    I did a few reps of each of the exercises on the chart that came with it, and I definitely felt them all! So I will definitely be using it and seeing how it works for me.

Dan, thank you for the response, knowing your music preference definitely helped make my decision!

.... I didn't realize until re-reading this that I said 'definitely' so much. I do not feel like changing it.
  • just_jess7
    Ok. One more related question. Is there any idea how I'd go about logging the exercises I do with the band, or should I just track it in the notes? I'm not worried about calories or anything, just keeping record of when/what I'm doing.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Put it down under strength. MFP doesn't put in calories for that. Only cardio.
  • just_jess7
    Put it down under strength. MFP doesn't put in calories for that. Only cardio.

Thank you!!
  • bird5027
    bird5027 Posts: 37 Member
    Jess, I think this is an excellent investment. I've used resistance bands a lot when I was working out for my collegiate sport. They are a very good alternative to machines and free-weights. They allow you to get the same burn of your major muscle groups while adding stability and balance training to your workout by forcing your smaller and adjacent muscle groups to keep you stable. I don't swear by them but I do love using them for different things or just to change it up. There are many different types and resistance levels. I'm not sure what kind you have or what exercises you have on the chart that came with them but you can DEFINITELY :laugh: get an excellent full body workout using them. Have fun!
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    I have used them when I travel, and they are effective. I also use them for assistance with high-rep sets of chin-ups and dips.