Recommendation for first Marathon

Options
Trail or road?

I've run 1 Half Marathon (a local one) which was quite boring. The course went down and back up the same road.

They have a Marathon option but there's no way i wanna do that course again.

Maybe a mixture would suit me more?
What are your experiences with a Marathon distance and where they have been held?

Replies

• redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Trail marathons are usually much harder than regular road marathons because of hills.

I would suggest finding a road marathon on a more interesting course. Maybe in a city you love or have always wanted to visit or along a beach, or somewhere else pretty.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. Trail running is significantly different from road running. I would suggest for your first full marathon that you do a road race and then progress to trail races. Travel somewhere close by (or far away!) for the experience, you definitely don't want a boring race!
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My first marathon was a trail marathon. I knew going in that it would be vastly different than road running. It took me just under 7 hours to finish it. But I had a blast & loved it.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Look for point to point runs.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    As people stated before, trails can be much different and much more difficult than road races. I don't know your level of fitness, but be sure to check out the elevation graphs for the course and make sure you can handle the hills. My first full marathon was very challenging (it was in SF) and the hills made a big difference (aside from also being my first full). But it was fantastic :)

No matter what you choose, I'm sure it will be very memorable!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    What do you enjoy more? Do you have ready access to trails for the training if you opt for a trail marathon? Do you have enough time to devote to training for trails?

If it were me, I'd do a road race first. I've done two full marathons and both had some off-road portions. The first one I'd characterized as some "unpaved" trails - while technically not a road surface, they were as close as you could get to being paved. Not technical, not hilly. The second marathon, while mostly paved, did have some significant hilly trail portions that kicked my butt (see my profile picture)! I did do a trail half marathon in preparation for this most recent full and I was more sore after the trail half than I was after the full. If you go for a trail, just make sure you can train on similar terrain!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've done both trail and road marathons. I started my running life on the road like most people but I now almost exclusively do trail races. You can do either as your first. It just depends on where you prefer to spend your time and money. Try and train as much as possible on conditions that simulate whatever course you end up deciding on. Some trail races can be brutally difficult so I tend to go more by perceived effort. I've walked up hills where my heart rate was pegged at above 80% of max.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. I found a race which has little hills nothing major and is a winding road so i wont be able to see miles ahead. Plus it doesn't turn around halfway and come back to where you started from :)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love training on trails but running races on roads.

For me, my training runs are my time for me time so I like the peace and the scenery.

But I love road races because of the energy and the excitement of the people and the bystanders and the sights. I have done two trail races and they are very different creatures.

I don't know where you live but
    East Coast:
    Philly Marathon
    Marine Corps Marathon
    Shamrock

Middle:
    Houston Marathon
    RnR New Orleans (I just love NOLA period)
    Arkansas has a HUGE medal
    Flying Pig
    Chicago

West Coast:
    Big Sur
    Seattle Marathon
    Portland Marathon

These are all on my bucket list. Oh to have endless funds and unlimited time!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in with some of my favorites. I've run 9 marathons and enjoyed them all. For a first marathon I'd probably say Richmond. Really great race, not too big, not too small, not too flat, not too hilly.

For scenery it's hard to beat Crater Lake. Small marathon, but very difficult course because of the elevation and hills.

Big Sur is awesome, but fills up fast. I believe it is already sold out for next year.

Next year I'm going to try some trail marathons and ultras...I'll let you know after that what I like better!