Hydrostatic body fat testing

Options
Dmkolls
Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
Our box is doing a major paleo challenge that includes us getting our body fat tested via hydrostatic body fat testing in a water tank. They measure us before and at the end of the challenge, and you get points on the amount of lean mass gained and fat lost. It's supposed to be highly scientific.....

Has anyone done this before? I had mine done yesterday, and on top of telling me exactly how many lbs are lean/fat, they also tell you all about your metabolic rate at rest and with your regular activities.

I go to Crossfit 3-4 days per week. Between my body composition and the crossfit, they told me that I need to consume 2240 calories DAILY in order to lose body fat. DAILY...regardless if it's a rest day. They stated that my eating 1600 calories is stalling my fat loss because my body is holding onto it because it thinks it's starving.

Does anyone else think this is a little high? My body fat % is horrible, and I knew that going in. However, I don't see how 2240 calories (of clean food) per day would help that.

Thoughts or advice?

**Here is their website if you want to see what I'm talking about. All the Xfit boxes use this place: http://www.bodyfattest.com/

Replies

• alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I’ve never done hydrostatic, but I recently did a bod pod (where you sit in a pressurized chamber) and they give you the same basic information. I think hydrostatic may have a slightly lower margin of error, as long as you expel air properly. I was at 22% body fat with a RMR around 1500 and was told I could eat up to 3000 calories a day and maintain my current weight. I’m not sure if I believe that. Now I do work out a lot, I crossfit 5 times, do an additional 2 Oly classes, and run 2-3 times per week as well. We are currently in the middle of a Paleo challenge and I have found that if I eat 2200-2500 calories a day I am slowly losing body fat. Now this is just based on the mirror and my clothes because the scale and I have broken up. :) So I don’t think their number is outrageous you just have to dial it in with what works for you, I’ve found that if I eat Paleo with a modified zone idea, this many calories works for me, I’m finally starting to see more than just my top 2 abs! I will say though I can eat a lot of clean food and lose body fat, or eat 1500 calories of crap and stay the same.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's probably right. Have you compared it to any of the TDEE calculators out there? I'd love to do real body fat testing!
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is around 2455 calories with 1964 being my 20% reduction amount. So, while it's similar, that's still a 276 daily calorie difference.

I'm just worried how I'm going to eat all that food! I can only eat so many cans of tuna, oz. of steak, chicken, etc. before I get sick of it.

I might add an extra Primal Protein Shake w/Coconut milk PWO. That should help me bump up the calories.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just sautee/roast all my veggies in coconut oil and that helps add calories and makes me feel full,
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is around 2455 calories with 1964 being my 20% reduction amount. So, while it's similar, that's still a 276 daily calorie difference.

I'm just worried how I'm going to eat all that food! I can only eat so many cans of tuna, oz. of steak, chicken, etc. before I get sick of it.

I might add an extra Primal Protein Shake w/Coconut milk PWO. That should help me bump up the calories.

Mixed nuts are good too. Ton of calories and don't fill you up too bad, and the fat is of the most healthy varieties.